Carol Ann OD2R...the BEST!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jason555, Jan 30, 2018.

1. jason555

jason555 Member

I've been searching for the best CLEAN amp for a while. Ultimately I own a Fender DRRI (with Weber 12F150 and switching tubes), Carr Rambler, Two Rock Studio Pro 35, Bruno Cowtipper 35, and lastly the Carol Ann OD2R.

I have to say, for me personally the CA is such an amazing clean amp (amongst other qualities). This amp really shines on a clean platform. It has amazing EQ balance and is so versatile given its features. The controls really offer different types of tones and with tweaking you can really accomplish any type of music. All the other amps I own are great (in its own right), but the CA is the amp I can use all the time. For more experienced guitar players, it reacts in a way where all the nuances are picked up and is really enjoyable in a percussive way.

All in all, anyone who is looking for a great clean amp at tolerable room levels, should definitely consider the CA OD2R. I think with the two rock you can get pretty close to the CA, but it doesn't quite hit that tone I'm looking for. Also doesn't hurt that it has one of the best drive channels I've played as well.

If anyone has any questions comparing the amps I've own, please let me know.

PLAY ON! :)))

Zuper, DV52, tmac and 1 other person like this.
  2. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Alan’s OD-series Amps are great. Actually, I haven’t owned a Carol Ann (I’ve had most models) that I wasn’t impressed by. Like you said, add the killer OD channel, a great effects loop and plenty of options to mitigate the volume. The guy builds a serious amplifier. Good luck with it! What speaker are you using?

jason555 likes this.
  3. hurtwoodec

hurtwoodec Supporting Member

My Od2 is a personal favorite.
    Ive said it before - its the one that gets saved if the house burns down, even over the Tucana 3 i have.

4. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Thought my Tuc 2 had the best cleans! o_O

Enjoy!

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I've had od2 and an OD3r. Good amps. I thought the best part of them was the clean Channel. A real bargain on the used Market too. I don't think I paid over $1,000 for each one and they were like new.

6. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

As a long time Carol Ann lurker, if I'm looking for an amp that has a great clean sound, some light break up tones, and a drive sound that someone like Ritchie Sambora would use, would I get that in a OD2r or tuc3r?

7. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Either would satisfy that criteria IMO. The input / drive / EQ controls are so flexible, I can get most bases covered when paired with any pup configuration. Clean, edge of break-up (whereI live most) and growl on demand

Main differences lie in which output stage you might prefer, and if you want the ability to drive the clean input stage separately. But frankly you can't go wrong with either option - the OD3R I own allows for 6V6's with the flip of a bias switch, but the 6L6's are outstanding, and I have gone back to them for the extra "depth" I get through a 4X12. The Tuc 3R drives KT88's which have their own feel, and a slightly more open response, so worth trying both to see what you may prefer

Good luck ... and join the club :p:p:cool::cool:

hurtwoodec likes this.
  8. jason555

jason555 Member

Thanks! Using a 2x12 cab with celestion g12h anniversary. Looking forward to trying it through other speakers/configurations as well.

9. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Tucana 3r is the one to cover that as well as the Triptik 2. Don't be put off that the Trip is a rock amp, it does classic rock extremely well and has one of the best clean channels I've ever deisgned. Both have the ability to 'scale' the gain channels (The original Trip 1 doesn't), which is what you need. The OD2r will get the tones but is not as flexible.