Carol-Ann, speakers & cab match

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gregc, Feb 26, 2008.

1. gregc

gregc Member

Regarding the CA OD2/100:
    I just recieved my new Avatar 2x12 (traditional, rear oval port), loaded with a couple Classic 80 drivers. I demo'd it for a 1/2 hour on my lunch break and came away quite happy. I plugged in a Nocaster and easily got country twang, lush jazzy chording, crunchy rhythms, and several wonderful lead tones (Blues to Hard Classic Rock). It's a winning combination and blew away my 4x12, greenback loaded cab. I know folks were looking for good matches with this head. Well, this is very, very good. It's almost tough to get a bad sound. Pretty much near 12:00 for everything is AOK.
    Black cab/black grill/silver piping is a perfect match for the heads cosmetics as well. It's headed to rehearsal tomorrow!

2. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

man...my ears just don't like the Classic 80 speakers, regardless of who makes the cab...I'm glad you found the tone that works for you though! ;)

3. gregc

gregc Member

Yea, speakers and ears are funny that way. I guess it's the same way I can't handle V-30s (at least with MY personal amps).

4. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I hear these statements so many times. Usually they are a conclusion from a combination, not an individual component.
    Someone may say they love V30's and maybe they do in a certain combination. I do with an old Marshall. Try a 4x12 with those and an OD2 and if you can honestly say that harsh mess sounds good, I would be amazed.

The classic lead 80 has a frequency response and peaks and troughs in it's response that work well with the peaks and troughs exhibited from the OD2 , expecially in an open 2x12 format.
    The same can be said for the EVM-12L in a closed back 2x12 format.

Basically you can't draw any conclusion on how a speaker sounds unless you qualify it with the amp driving it and the format of the cab it's loaded in.
    With that said, I do own some speakers that I've still not found an amp they sound good with. Thats not to say there isn't one though.

For the OD-2, usually speakers that have troughs in the 600-1K region and large peaks in the 2-3K region will sound harsh, but you can combine different speakers and affect the the entire response. Usually a speaker with a flatter response will sound warmer and fuller with the OD2.
    The new model, the Tucana is a a lot more forgiving on speaker choices.

5. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

With CA's I like closed back cabs, EV's or cel 80's. Those seem to wrok really well with that amp

6. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

My OD2 is set to arrive next month and I am trying to get a cab to match. I was thinking about possibly a 4x10 ( I love 10's) but now I think that I am going to go clestion 80s in an open back 2x12. Thanks for the info!

7. talpa

talpa Member

Any opinion on vintage G1265's thru your OD-2 100 in a 4x12 closed back ? That is my preferred speaker and use them in everything ex. my JMJ30 (vintage Silvers).

8. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

No opinion. I was put off by all the Robbenites using them to even try them

......just kidding.

Seriously, I really haven't tried them and can't say I'm particularly inspired to. Be interested to hear from anyone who has however.

9. gregc

gregc Member

Yea, me too. I've never demo'd the much heralded 12-65.

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I've tried the Heritage G12-65s in a Port City Wave 2x12, EarCandy Buzzbomb 2x12 and Jenkins Highway 61 2x12 (semi-open back) with a Fuchs TDS-50, Maz 18 w/ pedals, Badger w/pedals and, most recenty, an Engl Special Edition 6L6. Compared to British-made G12H-30s, CL80s and V30s, TT H1Es and Scholz Sugarcones, the Heritage G12-65s improved the tone (for my tastes) of all the amps and cabs in this bunch, with the exception of the Buzzbomb. In that cab, for some strange reason, the normally sweet, smooth character of the G12-65s was replaced with some buzziness and harshness. So, with the exception of the Buzzbomb cab, the Heritage G12-65 is the best-sounding all-around speaker I've ever used!

11. talpa

talpa Member

Actually I'm surprized no one has yet...if anyone who has a head gets a chance pls. report to us. This is the speaker I use exclusively (long before the hype - my '82 4104 combo I bought new had 'em).

I still want a basketweave however = )