Carol Ann Triptik....Holy Sh@t

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wyldefan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. wyldefan

wyldefan Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I just purchased a Triptk today. I am so impressed with this amp! The clean channel is very good for a EL34 amp and the gain channels are just insane and very flexible. I have to take my hat off and bow down to Alan on this one.

2. Psh511

Psh511 Member

I heard the amp at the NY amp show and thought it was amazing....congrats

3. MCK

MCK Member

Congratulations!!! I agree. This amp can do anything under the sun and do it amazingly well.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Same here and I agree

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Did you refinance the house to pay for it?

:hide (kidding)

6. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I'm holding out for the 25w Trip-R.

7. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

I just did some off-the-cuff vids of the Triptik Prototype today, in the big CA thread.

...and--congrats to the OP!!!!

BB

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

You guys are killing me..... :bonk

I want! I want! I want! :drool

9. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Agreed

10. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

I can remember this being addressed in a previous thread when the Triptik first came out. If push comes to shove Alan can simplify the name, "The Trip" and "The Trip'r"...

11. wyldefan

Really do we need to turn this topic into something other than talking about the amp and its awesome tone! If you don't mean to troll then don't!

12. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Member

How about the OP ends this thread and we can move the discussion to the regular Carol Ann thread. Alan has requested time and time again that we try and keep "Carol Ann" topics channeling through the main Carol Ann thread for many valid reasons.

13. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

14. freaksho

freaksho Member

how does is compare to the OD line? which one is more classic and which one more modern? which has better cleans?

15. wyldefan

I wouldn't say the OD channel sounds like the OD2. This is more in that modded Marshall vain in the classic mode but the best part is it does not stop there. There is also a modern option for both Channels B & C, so you can set up a bunch of different tonal options. And lastly there is a master for each and a lead master for both and when using the lead master the notes just jump out at you.........it is incredible how flexible and full of tone this amp is.

16. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

This is the only thing I'm going to write about this because it's a) Off topic and b) Ignorance regarding IP and trademarks on messageboards irritates the living crap out of me because it just flags things up in the public domain. Even though I would have a completely legally valid case to defend 'Triptik' how the hell would I possibly defend my company from the clutches of a band of Attourneys from a huge corporation ? I'm not implying AAA would ever do that however, but really....

With regards to 'Triptik' . Two important things to understand here, a) Trademarks on goods are filed under 'Classes' which categorize where your trademark lives in commerce, then on top of that you have a goods description too. For instance 'Tucana' is in Int Class 9 (US Classses 21,23,26,36, & 38) as a Guitar Amplifier.

The other thing is the difference between Trademarks and Service Marks. The AAA 'Triptik' is a service mark, which is a mark on a service a company supplies, not goods. I'm filing a trademark on the name 'Triptik' and 'Trip-R' as they applay to goods, in this case a guitar amplifier.

I did the same with Tucana:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4008:r8j6vm.2.2

That said, if before any trademark goes through and some huge ass company decided to C+D me, I would probably just change a product name rather than waste a penny defending it. I'm all about quietly just earning a living, I can't abide the whole sue sue sue mentality of corporate USA.

The crap I have to learn about outside of building amps is mind boggling.

Rather than write it out, I found the following. This sums it up. From an IP attourney.

If I register a specific name as a trademark, will I be able to prevent its use by everyone else in the world?
    [FONT=Georgia Ref,Verdana Ref,Verdana]No. If you own a registered trademark you can prevent others from using the same or similar trademark only for those goods and/or services you sell. For example, if you sell T-shirts using a registered trademark you have the right to prevent others from selling T-shirts using a trademark which is the same or similar to your trademark. Also, others may use your trademark to sell unrelated goods - like car tires or bottled water. You would only be protected for T-shirts.[/FONT]​

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  17. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

wyldefan, you have an Aiken Sabre, how do the two compare to each other?

18. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

I have mucho respect for Randall Aiken.

19. Bushkey

Bushkey Southpaw Member

Tim, you have me upside down right now. I just bought an amazing new amp, and all I can think about is a Carol Ann Triptik! Does some one have a pill that I can take to curb my appetite for killer expensive boutique amps?

:clips

My name is Bushkey, and I have Amp OCD, and I am an addict!

"I will pay you next year for a Triptik today!"

20. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

So far, I played the CA OD2 (EL34), OD3 (6L6), OD3r (6L6), Tucana 1 and 2 (6550), Triptik (EL34), and my favorite Carol-Ann Amp by a good margin is the Triptik. I'm still thinking tha OD2 is Alan's flagship, a really tone machine, but I'm more a rocker player and the Triptik kills!!! Just for recording, I also have the Diezel VH4 (love the 3rd channel) and a 1992 Soldano SLO (with 7581A's and a mix of NOS preamptubes) as well the Triptik and if I need to have only one, will be Alan's amp for sure. Great clean, two very versatile overdrives channels, very nice Classic/Modern Switches. I use the Channel B in "Classic Mod" and Channel C in "Modern Mod".
    Cheers,
    Oz

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012