Carol Ann Triptik vs Cornford MK50

jhale

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Triptik on the way but am also very interested in the MK50 H or II. I know the triptik probably has the best clean but how about the overdrive? I know tone is subjective and I like clips of both amps and will probably own both. I play classic to hard rock

jpage

Personally I've never bonded with a Cornford amp. Alan's amps are crazy well built and incredibly easy to play. If the "vs" implies a battle, IMO the CA wins in a first round KO.

jharpersj

Gold Supporting Member
Had both there is no comparison, Triptik overdirve is in another class. Cornford was OK, I coudl never bond with it, was overly brite and hard to tame, also was unusuably loud

DigitalTube

Silver Supporting Member
I owned the MK50 .. nice amp, didn't care much for the clean ..also owned the Trip-R which I liked much more then the Cornford, both clean and distortion channels, but like you said tone is subjective. Super happy now with the CA Tucana 3 :)

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Two different animals. I much prefer the Triptik, but the Cornford has its place too...

Unfortunately, Cornford is no more....

Fretmaster

Sorry to hear Cornford is not longer. But I agree with the general consensus here thus far, the Triptik is the better amp tonally. I loved the Harlequin and Hurricane. So I decided to try the MK and then a Hellcat. Both amps had good tones but I really did not like the feel of either. They felt very stiff to me. The Hellcat sure sounds fantastic in the hand of Guthrie Govan!

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
Had several Carol Ann's and a Few Cornfords. Carol Ann by a wide margin for me and as a former dealer for Cornford I would say the Hellcat was a huge letdown, awful amp. The MK50 pretty cool.

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
Had several Carol Ann's and a Few Cornfords. Carol Ann by a wide margin for me and as a former dealer for Cornford I would say the Hellcat was a huge letdown, awful amp. The MK50 pretty cool.
Hellcat was one of the worst blind purchases I ever made.
I’m on the verge of buying an mk50, I hope it’s not fizz like HC.

bluesoul

Hellcat was one of the worst blind purchases I ever made.
I’m on the verge of buying an mk50, I hope it’s not fizz like HC.
"I’m on the verge of buying an mk50"
Me too!

Based on several Cornford threads, the HC seems to be the "redheaded step child". Perhaps not a good comparison.
Your MK50 thread...sounds like some of the guys know that amp well and have offered some good detailed info!

fatbagg

Gold Supporting Member
"I’m on the verge of buying an mk50"
Me too!

Based on several Cornford threads, the HC seems to be the "redheaded step child". Perhaps not a good comparison.
Your MK50 thread...sounds like some of the guys know that amp well and have offered some good detailed info!
I had a Roadhouse, it was all around a good amp. However, it didn’t do anything well enough for me to keep it as a main amp. That said, I don’t like using pedals up front, soot was a bit short of gain for me, but wonderful tone. The Hellcat was just this can of fizzy bees that you could not dial out, and if you got close, you lost all dynamics and tone.

Trending Topics