Carol Ann Triptik.....what speakers/cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StudioRat320, Feb 8, 2013.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Carol Ann Triptik and I'm wondering what 4x12 cab would suit it best.. I'm looking at Reeves w/Vintage Purples or G12H-30's. Hiwatt w/Fanes. Vintage Marshall type with G12-65 or Vintage 30's.

Guitars include Teles, Les Pauls, Explorers, Knaggs Tier 1, Tom Anderson Drop Top and Cobra.

Tour starts in May, so I have some time. Hopefully some of you can help.

Thanks.

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Celestion Creambacks are perfect.

3. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are "creambacks"? And how do they differ from "greenbacks"?

4. Steve Snider

Do a search but in a nutshell a recreation of a greenback with tighter and fuller bottom and a beautiful top end . Higher power rating at 65 watts and sounds great. Like a better Greenback to me.

5. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

You've tried the combination of the Triptik and the Creambacks?

What was your impression?

6. Steve Snider

I have a Trip R. Same sonic family. Sounds fantastic together.

7. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

I have a 50W Triptik, and as Steve says, "sounds fantastic together!"

8. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

Sweet! I really want that amp, but hears that it didn't play well with a lot of speakers.

9. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Where can I find a quad of these? I have a empty Hiwatt 4x12 cab I can use

10. Steve Snider

Sweetwater has 8ohms in stock and more 16s soon they say.

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Here's $.02:

I've had my Trip50 for a few months now, and for a few months now, have been swapping speakers like it's a religion.

In a vertical 2x12 solid-back cab (no longer own 4x12s), I have tried variations of the following speakers (multiple times over, like a mental patient) with a LP:

Creambacks
    ASW KTS-60
    ASW KTS-70
    Lynchbacks
    Celestion G12-65
    Scumback M75-65
    Scumback M75-65 LDC

In general, I found all the variations usable on some level- depending on what tones you're looking for. Without going into great detail, I have found that the combination of the KTS-70 and the Creamback to be the best for my purposes. I found this combo really lets the clean channel shine, and the overdrive is thick and dynamic, with mad sustain. Very inspiring.

My 2nd choice would be a pair of Creambacks. The difference being the cleans were tighter (not bad) and less round, and the overdrive (generally) was a little raunchier; which I like too.

Another good combo is the Creamback and the G12-65. Excellent cleans and nice (but maybe too polite?) overdrive tones. They compliment each other well, but I liked the "vibe" of the other combos better.

The only combos that I didn't care for were 2 Scumback together. Overall, the tones lacked. However, the Creamback and the M75-65 LDC were a nice match for bluesy tones and that classic M-Style crunch.

All in all, the Trip does handle speakers very well BUT, you must spend some time on the EQ knobs and Presence knob. It's a testament to the Alan's EQ, I think, because it IS possible to dial-in these speaker combinations. It's more a question of what you're looking for.

Fantastic, responsive, amplifier. YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  12. MCK

MCK Member

This sums it all up nicely. I have not managed to find a speaker through which Triptik sounded bad. If all else fails throw an EVM12L at it. That is like the Swiss Army Knife of speakers for me. Was no exception with the Triptik.

13. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

I'll second that!

I'll second that, too!

14. Oz Hofstatter

Oz Hofstatter Gold Supporting Member

My favorite is ASW KTS-70?/Port City 2 x 12 Standard Size (OS if you need more volume and bottom end).
    I didn't try the Creambacks yet.
    Cheers,
    Oz

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I loved that amp at the NY Amp Show.... sounded amazing. ... when I demoed it personally later I didnt like it.... I had the feeling I would with the right cab. So yes I would say it is finicky with speakers.... ive heard that comment with other CA amps as well.

Asking for speaker recommendations is like asking which do you prefer blondes or brunette s.... its kinda personal.... and you may hate creambacks. ... in the end you're gonna hafta try for yourself.

16. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I considered EVM12L's, but those in a 4x12 and road case would be unbearable. I think I'm gonna try the Creambacks. I may also do a open back 2X12 or 4X10 for cleans and use a cab switcher.

I love aggressive tones, whether they be clean or dirty.

I'm still curious as to how it would sound with Fanes. Those speakers sound great with almost any amp I've thrown at them.

Thanks again........

17. FFTT

FFTT Member

I would not bother with a 4X12 if you go to EVM12L & a Fane Medusa 150-C
    or AXA12 with the EV.
    Put this pair in a Reeves Port City OS 2X12 and I think you'll
    hear this set-up is louder, clearer more defined than almost any typical 4X12 loaded
    with greenback style speakers.

I'm not knocking the Reeves VP's at all, just haven't used them because they only come 16 Ohms
    and all the rest of my speakers are 8 Ohm for easy swapping.

If you feel the need for 4X12, I'd cross pattern a pair of Medusa 150-C's with a
    pair of AXA12's

I think Cream Backs might be best suited for Marshalls with lots of tube rectifier sag, because they push mids.

18. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I gotta have my 4X12's (It's a stage look thing). I'm not really looking for that smooth, creamy tone. I need over the top, aggressive tones for this tour. Will those speakers deliver?

19. FFTT

FFTT Member

If you don't want AlNico Compression, then just stick with the Medusa 150-C's
    or the VP's.

Another option is to use 1 EVM12L with your other speakers.

The EV will add low end depth of tone and a very healthy growl when pushed.

Here's the Reeves OS 2X12 with 1 EVM12L & 1 Fane Medusa 150-C

Here's the EVM12L & Fane AXA12 Bad Cat Hot Cat 100R DIMED!
    Sorry camera mic only.

Here's Craig Ross with his Reeves Custom Jimmy and Reeves 4X12

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  20. Steve Snider

I hate EVs and love the Creambacks. This amp is a perfect match to a 4X12 loaded with GBs. The best my Trip R sounds is with my Hendrix 4X12s loaded with G12Cs only found in the Hendrix amps amp Vintage Modern cabs but if I had 4 16 ohm Creambacks instead of two I would load them up in a 4 X12. As it is now I have to 16s in a 2X12 and a 1X12 and an 8 in a hot rod deluxe. I also have one in a 1X12. Fantastic speaker and my gues is you would love a quad in your 4X12 with the Triptik.