Carol Ann Tucana

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by matchless1069, Feb 11, 2008.

1. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

On the Carol Ann website there's a new posting for the Tucana amp. Has anyone here test drove this model yet and if so how does it compare to the OD2?

2. Timmo

Timmo Member

I guess that's the 17 watt CA.
    Looks good. Bet it sounds good too.

;)

3. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

The website says it's a 75W KT88 tube amp with 3 channels so I think it will be different than the OD2. The picture of it looks killer.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

Oh. I didn't read the site. I just heard about the low watt head that's coming out.
    This amp is interesting for sure.
    I have always liked 88's in everything I've heard them in.
    Hmm.......... :cool:

5. gregc

gregc Member

The first is a 3 channel hand made PTP design named the 'Tucana'. This amp will be available as a 75W KT88 powered head or 1x12 combo.Release date is the beginning of March 2008.
    [​IMG]
    The second new model is a single ended true Class A single KT-88 powered 17W blues and classic rock machine. Release date is end of April 2008.

6. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Anybody know if this new amp has a built-in effects loop and if so is it a passive loop (just preamp OUT and preamp IN jacks) or is it an active loop (buffered SEND with recovery gain)?

Where is the controls for the 3rd channel? I can see an extra Master on there but no extra gain control or anything.

7. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

It looks like the 3rd channel is going to be a volume boost of the B channel. It would be cool to have an extra drive on the B channel as well as the extra master so you could go from clean to grind to balls out without a huge volume boost difference.

8. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Hi all that amp has a gain boost with a master, so you get a clean channel, gain channel, a gain boost which has its own master, you could set this for solo's or the way I like to use it is as an extra channel but with more gain. I don't find any limitation to the shared EQ its just adds more gain to the existing tone.

The amp is killer in every way.

9. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

Looks very nice, and I love amps with KT88s.

10. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

Thanks for the clarification. Is there an effects loop on this amp similar to the OD2?

11. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Yes it has a tube buffered efx loop. No multi-channel amp should be made without one in my opinion.

Tube compliment is 2xKT88, 1x12AT7, 1x5751, 2x 12AX7.

I'm still making some final tweaks to this design, but the concept is to run the KT88's to extend tube life sunstantially and create a very linear output stage. I was inspired a little by my Audi, it only needs an oil change every 9000 miles. Given how I have designed the output stage to operate, I believe with normal useage, the power tube life will be 2 to 3 times that of most amps using typical fixed bias AB1 output stages.

It has a lot of clean headroom available for it's power rating and the overdrive is a little darker than the OD-2 and has a different harmonic content. It's shaping up to be a really nice amp.

12. matchless1069

matchless1069 Member

Hey Alan, thanks for posting the OD2 manual on your website. I have a much better understanding of that amp now. Can't wait for some sound clips of the Tucana!Time to sale some gear to aquire new gear :)

13. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member