CAROLE KING - 1971 - Tapestry

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
I think staring at that album predisposed me to attraction to girls that looked like Carole in my high school and college years.

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Two of my faves by King:

Great songs. I'm pretty sure I put it in this thread somewhere, but despite the California-ish sound, "Pleasant Valley" here refers to Pleasant Valley Road in West Orange, NJ. A friend grew up in the house she lived in right off that road.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Great songs. I'm pretty I put it in this thread somewhere, but despite the California-ish sound, "Pleasant Valley" here refers to Pleasant Valley Road in West Orange, NJ. A friend grew up in the house she lived in right off that road.
I didn't know that, thanks!

The lyrics to Take A Giant Step have consoled me on many an occasion:

Though you've played at love and lost​
And sorrow's turned your heart to frost​
I will melt your heart again.​
Remember the feeling as a child​
When you woke up and morning smiled​
It's time you felt like you did then.​
There's just no percentage in remembering the past​
It's time you learned to live again at last.​
Come with me, leave yesterday behind​
And take a giant step outside your mind.​
You stare at me in disbelief​
You say for you there's no relief​
But I swear I'll prove you wrong.​
Don't stay in your lonely room​
Just staring back in silent gloom​
That's not where you belong.​
Come with me I'll take you where the taste of life is green​
And everyday holds wonders to be seen.​
Come with me, leave yesterday behind​
And take a giant step outside your mind.​

MikeMcK

Silver Supporting Member
Great songs. I'm pretty sure I put it in this thread somewhere, but despite the California-ish sound, "Pleasant Valley" here refers to Pleasant Valley Road in West Orange, NJ. A friend grew up in the house she lived in right off that road.
I should add that house might have kept a lot of the talent that rubbed off her. In the '70's as a high school kid he was writing stuff (in that house) that holds up to this day, and wound up as a full-time career musician. His most visible gig was as a sideman on a couple Meatloaf tours, but he found a profitable niche as a kid's musician and makes a good living from it.

Todd1357

Just a bunch of covers. They'll never surpass the originals.
Carole King wrote or cowrote all the songs on that record. Many of the songs were originally written by King for other artists; "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" and "Natural Woman" for example. But King most definitely wrote the songs, they aren't technically covers in that sense.

Great album, listen to it often!

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Silver Supporting Member
Carole King wrote or cowrote all the songs on that record. Many of the songs were originally written by King for other artists; "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" and "Natural Woman" for example. But King most definitely wrote the songs, they aren't technically covers in that sense.

Great album, listen to it often!
My comment was a tongue in cheek way of referring to her history as a widely recorded sngwriter leading up to her venture into recording her songs herself.

Teleguy61

A ubiquitous record at the time, I was sick to death of it.
But, great songs by a great songwriter.
C'mon, the lady wrote "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", and if that ain't an all time greatest pop song, I don't know what is.

lhallam

My sister brought this home from college. I played many games of ping-pong with it playing.

A classic.