Caroline Haymaker vs timmy vs rockett archer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by galapagos, Apr 27, 2016.

1. galapagos

galapagos Member

Caroline Haymaker is getting more attention lately and I wonder if it's possible to replace timmy or rockett archer with the haymaker? Mode B is supposed to do some klon's magic. Not sure where to put timmy. Did anyone play those pedals and can say something about haymaker? :)

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Very different. Haven't played the Archer, but I've played a few Klones (incl. KTR). I don't think the Timmy handles gain as well as the Haymaker, and I think Klons are very colored. The Haymaker has a nice rich OD, and the tone controls, while not totally intuitive are good for tweaking but not radical, so you're generally gonna get your tone, with some variation of distortion. The break up is a BIT fuzzy, but it's definitely an OD. Timmy is nothing like a Klon, although I guess you could set it similarly by rolling of top and low end, but I think you'd have a hard time dialing that specific EQ curve (which is largely influenced by the way the Drive works). The Archer is gonna be the least versatile, but the most Klon-like. :p -E

ZachSelindh likes this.
  3. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

Y'know, depending on what you're trying to do, you might try a Boiling Point (or maybe Dunes)--has (adaptable) TS tendencies, which makes it kinda Klon-like (warm mids), but it has this hi-fi thing the KTR and Timmy have, too, and the gain is excellent. I like the Haymaker a lot as an OD, and the BP is one of the few I like a little better. -E

4. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

In terms of the bit fuzzy part, can you dial that out with the "shape" knob? The shape knob is supposed to control the grit and hair around the notes, so I'm wondering if that would do make the OD smoother and reduce the fizziness. Thanks!

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

My recollection is that the shape knob affects midrange content, not dirt character. My thoughts, at length: http://tonereport.com/reviews/caroline-guitar-company-haymaker.

Depending on what you're trying to do (and this maybe even more true for the OP), the VFE Pale Horse might be perfect: based on a TS, has three-band EQ (LPF, HPF and sweepable mids), three clipping options (which can be blended) and ... an internal charge pump. It REALLY reminds me of the Sarno Earth Drive (which is very Klon-like), but with more gain and EQ options. VFE is taking orders for their last run of these, and I think it's awesome. -E

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Philippe_CGC likes this.