1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Caroline Megabyte Lo-Fi Delay Computer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thesooze, Jan 27, 2019.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

So stoked for this pedal.
    Wonder if anyone grabbed info at NAMM about it?
    They’ve added tap tempo, but retained the chaos mode, probably if held longer than a second or so (differentiating from tapping in a tempo).
    Along with tap tempo, the other request was a tone control- I wonder if they’ve added that on one of those external trim pots.
    Can’t wait for demos!

[​IMG]

redgold, Tabor, urQuill and 6 others like this.
  2. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Isn't the second pot just a tap divide? I haven't seen anything about the Caroline stuff other than the short video posted in the other thread.

3. thesooze

thesooze Member

Not sure- maybe?
    Could also separate the modulation controls into speed and depth...?

4. eyobeez

eyobeez Member

5. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

6. Philippe_CGC

Philippe_CGC Member

Hey! So we're a ways away from this being GTG for production - but I feel really good about it.

The left trimpot is the modulation, the right one is slated for the tap divides.

I think people felt really good about this at NAMM and we're looking foward to releasing this later this year.

earwax, songtalk, redgold and 6 others like this.
  7. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Is this like a V2 of the Kilobyte? Or different? The Kilobyte is still one of my all-time favorite delay pedals... even with a Moog 104M, Strymon Pedals, etc... there's something the Kilobyte does that I can't do with anything else... super curious for this one!

8. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

In one of the videos they mentioned it has twice the delay time and 'tweaked' modulation as compared to the Kilobyte

9. The Holy Drinker

The Holy Drinker Member

Isn’t it too noisy on the repeats? Or is this normal? I’d expect that on an analog delay but I thought this was digital (PT2399? Do they get noisy?).

10. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

So neither of the new external trims are tone controls unfortunately...
    hopefully with this still in development there will be a tone control somewhere somehow before all is "GTG"
    (even if it is an internal trim pot that'd be better than nothing).

Yes the Kilobyte is a pt2399 delay (so I'd bet the Megabyte is also) and that chip can definitely get noisy and is known for being a bit "lo-fi" overall, especially at longer delay times (which is why many of the "analog-voiced" pedals that use the pt2399 max out around 550-600ms).

11. Philippe_CGC

Philippe_CGC Member

PT2399s pick up noise and start increasing it logarithmically starting at 300ms.

The solution, or "control" that we're implementing...is....(wait for it)....TWO 2399 chips, to buy us lower noise performance up to 600ms (and slightly lower in the higher numbers than we'd get from just one chip).

I personally love how hashy it gets, I still think it's an interesting chip. All depends on how you use it.

12. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

My Kilo is pretty much perfect for my needs, but will give the Mega a spin.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  13. arem

arem Member

Will this things have a trails mode? The only complaint I have about the Kilobyte is the lack of trails.

Tabor likes this.
  14. Philippe_CGC

Philippe_CGC Member

Yes! We are refining a trails bypass that will be the default. There will be a true bypass option available.

thesooze, arem and xcc like this.
  15. arem

arem Member

Praise the lawd! Will the Havoc mode still be pretty instantaneous, or is there a momentary hesitation now that it is sharing a function? It would be a shame if that was compromised by adding the tap function.

16. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Supporting Member

Any chance you’ll make the modulation footswitchable as well? The limited run Dr Scientist delay he did for ILF was epic. 3 switches for delay, mod and oscillation. I’d do anything to have a Kilobyte that has this. I actually got rid of it as I used the modulation sparingly and preferred the tone of my Kilobyte and 4096 delays much more than it. But the features were unbeatable.

Tap tempo is so overrated. Chaos switches on the other hand ... the best feature ever added to a pedal. But I’m also a noise freak.

arem and Tabor like this.
  17. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

Chaos / oscillation switches are definitely a nice addition to a delay (I'm not much of a tap user either).
    I like how you can select different speeds for the onset of the "warp" footswitch with the toggle on the SolidGoldFX Electroman MKII...

Another great addition to a delay imo:

[​IMG]

18. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member