• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Carr, After years I have finally found my ultimate sound.

Rob303

I had an early Slant 1x15. Loved cranking the clean channel with a tele. However stupid level of dB’s produced lol.

Daniel Travis

Silver Supporting Member
Happy to answer any questions.
My question is, where are some clips of the od channel! :D

In all seriousness though, congrats man. I know finding "the one" took me a long time, and a lot of cheddar - it's always good to hear someone else was able to get there as well!

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Hi all Big shout out first up to Carr Amplifiers, As you all know I bought a Carr slant 6v a while back....after A LOT! of fiddling around (because it's a complex amp I think I have finally found my ultimate sound, something I could take anywhere with no pedals and one guitar and cover anything in spades. Note people have complained about the O.D channel, my advice spend a lot of time with it especially between cathode bias and fixed bias mode with extreme e.q settings because it took ages to really nail a great sound.
Glad you found your sound! The Slant 6V is one of my two favorite combos of all time (the other being Fargen's Dual British Classic). Both have two killer channels and lots of wattage flexibility. I don't know of any amp that does F and M so well in one box. Enjoy.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
So so far I've had a Rambler, 2 Slant 6V's and a Viceroy. Sold the Rambler for the Viceroy. Foolishly sold a 1x16 Slant 6V with a JBL D130 and when I got another 1x12 it was great but not like the one that got away. All of the amps have been superb, sound incredible, flawlessly built, dead quiet and indestructible. After owning more amps than I can even recall, The Viceroy for me offers more tone, in a smaller package and the flexibility to play any size venue, mores than any other amp I've owned. They are not cheap, but what great amps.

CanserDYI

Never used one of these, but keep hearing good things about them. Are they bluesy, vintage sounding, boutiquey, marshally, what are we looking at?

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Never used one of these, but keep hearing good things about them. Are they bluesy, vintage sounding, boutiquey, marshally, what are we looking at?
Well all Carrs are "boutiquey" in that they are built like a tank. I always considered them American flavor. This is a 4x 6v6 amp that has 3 operating modes; full at 40 watts, half fixed at 22 watts, half cathode at 18 watts. Giving you options for a wide range of tones and conditions. Generally I'm not a multi-channel guy so I never picked one up, but they sound so good. A good buddy of mine gigged one for years and I always found it easy to dial in good tones.

SRT2011

OP, I am glad you found your sound with Slant V. I played one and loved the clean channel, but I no longer gig and it was just too much of an amp for my needs.

I am a huge Carr amp fan owning a Telstar, Skylark and original Mercury. Each one is unique and I enjoy playing them all!

Strat

Silver Supporting Member
I'VE had my blonde Rambler since it release and a lot of other amps have come and gone but that Rambler does it's thing so well I never could part with it but soon will. Life has changed and i'm only going t keep my '64 PR but the thought of getting it ready for sale pains me, Carr makes such a great amp. Glad you'er Carr has found it's forever home ( g)

I picked up a Carr Vincent almost 2 months ago - my first Carr- and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Once I switched out the speaker from the stock Eminence Wizard to a Celestion g12-65, things sounded much, much better. It's hard to justify needing another amp since it's power settings are so versatile and the thing is LOUD with a deceptive amount of headroom. I thought I would just try it out and flip it but after my first outdoor gig with it, I decided that it's going to stick around for awhile. I almost prefer it to my Two Rock stuff as it's more versatile and forgiving but it's really dependent upon the style of music I'm playing. It's a seriously great amp and I'm very surprised that it has been discontinued.
I was going to buy the viceroy same model different name I think, 6L6's running class A with a boost sounds cool, glad your happy.

The Slant 6V (and rambler mentioned) are seriously good amps. Perfect for most gigging musicians.

I still play my Mercury regularly. I currently have it setup with a KT-88 and just love the cleans on that thing at reasonable volumes. Carr has had some really good designs over the years.
OP, I am glad you found your sound with Slant V. I played one and loved the clean channel, but I no longer gig and it was just too much of an amp for my needs.

I am a huge Carr amp fan owning a Telstar, Skylark and original Mercury. Each one is unique and I enjoy playing them all!
May I just add I am mainly a house and occasional jam guitarist these days, i would get a smaller Carr but they do not have all the features of the slant 6v, you plug into the slant 6v and anything and everything is possible....a liberating feeling as a musician.

My question is, where are some clips of the od channel! :D

In all seriousness though, congrats man. I know finding "the one" took me a long time, and a lot of cheddar - it's always good to hear someone else was able to get there as well!
I am getting there, there will be clips and I will link it up to this post, just need to find somewhere that has the right room and mic's, I like to do it right if im going out of my way.

So so far I've had a Rambler, 2 Slant 6V's and a Viceroy. Sold the Rambler for the Viceroy. Foolishly sold a 1x16 Slant 6V with a JBL D130 and when I got another 1x12 it was great but not like the one that got away. All of the amps have been superb, sound incredible, flawlessly built, dead quiet and indestructible. After owning more amps than I can even recall, The Viceroy for me offers more tone, in a smaller package and the flexibility to play any size venue, mores than any other amp I've owned. They are not cheap, but what great amps.
I was very close to purchasing the viceroy but I heard it is very mid pushed and a bit tweedy, dammit if i am wrong I will be regretting it because they are no longer available. what's your low down of the viceroy?

Imagine the best clean sound you have ever heard, Killer blues and rock o.d then add in the best build quality and parts money can buy, the solen satellite capacitors they use (the bigger ones) are VERY expensive. My Carr amp makes other Hi end handwired amps sounds like they have a blanket covering them in other words carr slant 6v is like the ultimate in sound fidelity, no joke.

petty1818

Yep, once I bought my Sportsman, it was game over for needing another amp. That amp does everything that I need. The more I play and get to know it, the more I love it.

SRT2011

May I just add I am mainly a house and occasional jam guitarist these days, i would get a smaller Carr but they do not have all the features of the slant 6v, you plug into the slant 6v and anything and everything is possible....a liberating feeling as a musician.
It is true that none of my 3 Carr amps have all the features of the Slant 6v, but is also true that the Slant 6v doesn't have the same features as any of my 3 Carr amps. All Carrs are different. Again, congratulations on determining that the Slant 6v is the perfect amp for you. I am truly happy for you!

rmconner80

Cantankerous Luddite
Gold Supporting Member
I was very close to purchasing the viceroy but I heard it is very mid pushed and a bit tweedy, dammit if i am wrong I will be regretting it because they are no longer available. what's your low down of the viceroy?
It can be but doesn’t have to be. All depends how much you turn up the mid control, the drive control, and whether you engage the foot switchable boost and how much boost you are using. It’s Blackface but with several usable tweaks to make it more pushed at a lower volume than a BF, and even into tweedish territory but with tighter spank on the top and bottom. VERY well thought out circuit and the reverb is the best I’ve heard.

Fat tone79

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Skylark and a Mercury V. Top notch build quality and they sound incredible. I’m most a head/4x12 player but when I’m using a combo it’s one of these.
The Mercury V is loud for a 1X12.

I have a Skylark and a Mercury V. Top notch build quality and they sound incredible. I’m most a head/4x12 player but when I’m using a combo it’s one of these.
The Mercury V is loud for a 1X12.
I would happily buy a telstar now , shall one come u used...pretty rare in my country.

Trending Topics