Carr Artemus Speaker Swap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by j. murrieta, Feb 27, 2015.

1. j. murrieta

j. murrieta Supporting Member

Hello Gear Lovers:

i just picked up a Carr Artemus, used from a forum member, and love it. although, being a shameless tweaker, i'm already considering swapping the speaker. my main motivation is that the amp may be too loud for a lot of the gigs and situations i'll play it in. currenlty, it is loaded with an eminence red white and blues, standard for this amp. i'd like to get something less "efficient" to help tame the volume. i don't plan to overdrive the amp, instead i'll use pedals for that. any input is appreciated.

thanks!

2. j. murrieta

I am going to try my luck with a Jensen Mod 12-35. It is rated at about 94db. although, the more I play this amp and get to know it, the less I think it's necessary.

3. j. murrieta

so...if anybody is interested i have tried to following speakers:

Eminence Red White and Blues (standard speaker for this amp) ~ great speaker...powerful and efficient. though a little more balls than i want right now.

Eminence Cannabis Rex ~ similar to the Red White and Blues. a little tighter low end and warmer top end. super efficient and powerful...again a little too powerful for my situation.

Warehouse Veteran 30 ~ surprisingly smooth...not a lot of character. warm top tight bottom not as much punch as i hoped for...

Jensen Mod 12-35 ~ awesome. low efficiency. can push the amp harder at significantly lower volume levels...BUT not enough head room

Jensen Mod 12-70 ~ not quite as awesome as the 35 but equally intriguing. very HiFi. takes a few pounds off the amp as well. I'm running with it for now.

that is all.

4. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I tried a Weber ceramic Blue Dog 30 which I thought was nice, definitely enhanced the Voxy characteristics of the amp which was my goal. The overall volume was probably a little lower than the RW&B, but not crazy quieter.

5. shred for sale

shred for sale Member

I don't mean to question your motives here...but you do realize that as good as the Artemus' clean tones are, the break up bark is maybe even better right!?

Different strokes of course, I know this - but I almost feel like if you haven't experimented with it at those levels yet, you should definitely give it a shot. Just don't want you to chop your amp's potential in half if you're new to it.

6. j. murrieta

You're right. I'm definitely new to the amp, as I've only had it about 3 weeks. But I'm pretty sure I know what I'm after, clean to slight break up from the amp and overdrive from pedals.

My motivation for swapping the speaker is to bring down the overall volume so that I can push the amp harder without blowing up my head, making it more manageable for my home and performance environments. And that I'm a Chronic tweaker.

Although honestly, all of the speaker combinations I have tried sound great! It is a great amp!

7. shred for sale

shred for sale Member

Cool! Well enjoy it man, those are killer! Definitely enjoyed all three iterations of it I have played.

8. the tourist

the tourist Member

If it was from the Emporium, I was trying to get that amp by selling some stuff. Alas. You got there first. Ha ha!

9. j. murrieta

Alas. I am not sorry! She is a keeper! The 12 70 is breaking in rather nicely as well, if you don't mind me saying...

10. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

A Celestion Creamback G12M-65 is 97db.

11. j. murrieta

Mr Carr actually recommended that speaker...

12. the tourist

the tourist Member

Ha ha ha, no worries. I picked up a Rambler and Vincent both recently anyway, so my Carr GAS is satisfied. I was really interested in biasing the Artemus cold and trying to get U2 AC30 mixed with BF Fender. Someday I'll try one hopefully....

13. j. murrieta

Enjoying an evening of inspiration here in the beautiful South West. I put this video together of some gear, including the Artemus. Incidentally, I have actually settled on a Jensen MOD 12-50:

https://vimeo.com/124377006

14. Rwk2of3

Rwk2of3 Member

Recently got an Artemus and I understand what you mean. It's loud. Tough to test pedals and practice with it indoors.
    I know this thread is a bit old, but what did you end up doing with the speaker situation?
    Thanks!

15. j. murrieta

hey. i left in the mod 12-50. it's a great sounding speaker, light weight and it allowed me to push the amp a little harder without melting my head.

16. Rwk2of3

Rwk2of3 Member

17. Millo 3.1

Millo 3.1 Member

That sounded great. Gotta love EL84 cleans

j. murrieta likes this.