Carr Impala........Any new reviews/impressions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, May 30, 2016.

1. MHG

MHG Member

I recently loaded a cab with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback to be used with the Mercury V I have arriving in the very near future. I've been breaking it in with the Impala and it really sounds great. I've had this speaker paired with some other amps in the past, and didn't really like them, but I'm definitely loving it with Steve's amps. It sounds phenomenal with both the Lincoln and the Impala, and I have a feeling it'll sound great with the Mercury as well.

I also tried the Impala with some other American Voiced speakers like the Eminence GA-SC64 12", 1028K 10", Weber 10A125, 10F150, Jenson P12Q, and they all sounded really good. This amp really straddles both sides of the pond, and sounds phenomenal with both British and American speakers.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  2. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

MHG what are you not liking about the Elsinore compared to the others you like?

3. MHG

MHG Member

It's really hard to put into words, and it's been a while since I've used them with the Impala. I really like the Elsinores, but I actually prefer them with my Headstrong King Reverb. It sounds great with the Impala as well but I just wouldn't want to be stuck with using that speaker only, as there are so many other speakers I love pairing with the amp........it just comes down to personal preferences. They'll remain loaded in one of my 2x12 cabs.

The Elsinores have a really nice, forgiving, worn in feel. They're pretty unique compared to other other speakers I've tried. The highs are really nice, but they're not very full. I guess it may have something to do with a lack of upper mids. It has a very neutral or flatter feel.

One thing that I really love about this amp, is that it sounds phenomenal with a huge variety of both American and British style speakers.

These are my current favorite cabs for this amp. They all sound amazing in their own way.......and they all work really well. The fact that a single amp sounds amazing with this kind of variety of speakers, is pretty darn cool!

1x10 Eminence 1028K
    2x10 Weber 10F150/10A125
    1x12 Scumnico
    2x12 Scumback M75
    1x12 Scumback J75
    1x12 Fane A60
    1x12 Fane H75 (Closed Back)
    1x12 Avatar/Fane M65
    2x12 20w Greenbacks
    1x12 Creamback G12M-65
    1x12 Cream Alnico
    1x12 Eminence GA-SC64
    1x12 WGS12L
    1x12 WGS G12A
    1x12 WGS G12C/S
    2x12 Carr Elsinore
    2x12 Tone Tubby Purple Haze

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    middlechainringguy likes this.
  4. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

Thanks for your answer. I agree that the Impala sounds so good with so many different speakers.

MHG likes this.
  5. MHG

MHG Member

The Impala paired with the Cream Alnico is really amazing!!! This combination creates a totally unique tone and feel that's just amazing. You're not going to achieve this with any other speaker imo.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    middlechainringguy likes this.
  6. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Sadly, no one carries the Impala in my area. It's always the Rambler and Skylark. I haven't seen one in close to two years now. I have to give up on that amp unfortunately.

7. MHG

MHG Member

You've already tested the amp and know you like it right? Why would you give up on it simply because your local store doesn't have one in stock? Just order an Impala head through any dealer. ;) Going with a "Custom Order" breaks the cost into two payments with a 3 month cushion between the deposit and paying the balance. It makes the price a whole lot more palatable.

8. petty1818

petty1818 Member

That was the plan when I first got into Carr but the Canadian dollar has been bad for a few years now. As a result, I can't justify the almost $4000 new price tag. I am down to hoping that a used Impala shows up or a Two Rock SP35.

MHG likes this.
  9. MHG

MHG Member

Ahhh, forgot about that!!!!

10. MHG

MHG Member

I recently got a WGS Veteran 2x10, and a Black & Blue 2x12, and they sound simply amazing with the Impala. Love these speakers!!!

So my current favorite speakers for this amp are;

- WGS Black & Blues, Veterans, and C/S
    - Cream Alnico, Creamback M65
    - Scumback Scumnico 30w, J75 100w

I've been dialing in the Impala for some more driven tones recently, and have fallen in love with the amp all over again. I'd been using it primarily for its amazing clean to slight breakup tones. Not sure if the amp has settled and smoothed out a bit, but the overdrive tones are sounding just amazing. With the Volume around 4:00, and the Master around 9:00, you get into some very special breakup. Where playing lightly yields beautiful, purring, bluesy, shimmering, slight breakup tones, and when you dig in you get a really unique and amazing breakup that's really hard to describe.......in a really, really good way! It absolutely sings!!! Just super touch sensitive and dynamic.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  11. MHG

MHG Member

Three more speakers to add to my "favorites" for this amp. They sound really amazing!!!

- Fat Jimmy C1270
    - Celesiton Ruby
    - WGS G12 A/S

friend33 likes this.
  12. northfortyrecords

northfortyrecords Supporting Member

This is the Alnico G12 with the smooth cone of the G12C/S?

13. MHG

MHG Member

Yes, it's exactly the same speaker as the C/S, just with an Alnico magnet. The different magnet type has a significant impact on the tone and feel though. They were hoping to have them ready for winter NAMM, or shortly thereafter. Not sure what happened.