1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Carr Mercury... first impressions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mojocaster.com, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Recently acquired a Carr Mercury via the trade. I had never heard one before in person.

My first impressions are as follows:

1. It's a lot bigger physically than I expected. Everybody refers to it as a "bedroom amp" so I figured it was as big as my Fender Blues Jr. Nope, it's quite bigger - and heavier.

2. The most attenuated level I heard several people refer to as "a waste". I disagree. While it's clearly attenuated, and therefore not representative of all the goodness that this amp has to offer tonewise, it's still a useful tone. I dig it.

3. that sucker is loud! On the "8" setting on the attenuator, this thing is too loud to play in the small room where I rehearse.

4. I find myself using the 1/2 and 2 positions a lot. 1/2 mostly when I play on my own. Very versatile amp.

5. I plugged in my Trussart w/ a TV Jones in the neck and played it through this amp. The boost function is very useful. 0 means clean, 1 means slightly dirty, and 2 means some distortion. I wish there were a footswitch to go from one to the next. That's my only gripe with this amp.

6. I can't wait to start recording with it. It seems particularly well-suited to that.

7. I played along the excellent DVD One night in London by Mark Knopfler, and with the Trussart, it was a joy to behold.

8. Tomorrow, I will play other guitars through it, especially an SRV strat and a Chet Gibby. Can't wait to report what transpired!

The funny part is that I hesitated between a Merc and an AST from Swart. Wouldn't you know it, through two trades that happened at the same time, I am getting one of each. So I will be finally able to compare the two :)

2. davebc

davebc Member

As a fellow amp junkie, enjoy!
    I almost bought a Merc, but it was preowned and had some issues.
    I preferred the clean and the non high gain channel.
    Which pwer tubes are you using? I like it best with KT66'S

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I'm using whatever tubes came with it :) I'll have to check what they are. I dig the tones. It's different from my Carmen Ghia, which is still my #1 amp for cleans... but the Swart is coming!

4. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

Ha ... My two small amps are my Mercury and my AST Pro.

Last month I posted both for sale to try to sell one because I figured I didn't need both. The merc sold first and then the buyer cancelled.

So I kept both :D

Glad that I did as they both give me so much joy.

I love the "2" setting on the Merc and use it most.

I also prefer to get my OD sounds from a pedal since the Merc seems to take them so well. OCD sounds wonderful with the merc IMO.

I really am amazed at how quiet the thing is too .. ZERO unwanted noise from this tube amp.

Enjoy your new amp(s) in good health.

5. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks gdcx! I remember when you had yours for sale... i was very tempted to pull that trigger!

6. thinline01

thinline01 Member

Hey Mojo,

Congrats!!! I would love to see a few vids with the Carr & Swart and different guitars - I am gassing for these 2 amps.

Thanks

T

7. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

+1 on the Mercury. Its an amazing versatile home or studio amp capable of a wide range of tones from clean to mid-high gain on its own. Add a pedal for the violin singing overdrive.

I also spend the most time on the 2 watt setting! Mine came with a JJ EL34 and I thought it sounded great. When it started to go I swapped it out for a Tungsol EL34B which has a slightly higher clean headroom and sparkly tone.

I think its a killer jazz guitar amp. I use it with its reverb and my archtops and love it. Even with solid bodies it delivers a fine jazz tone that is both full bodied and touch responsive. While being a single channel amp it offers a 3 position gain switch from just breaking up to mid-high gain. When used in conjunction with the different watt settings and amp vol, you can cover a lot of territory while keeping the neighbors and family happy. ;) Even swapping out power tube is easy with the bias knob and test points accessible from the outside of the chassis. Remarkably well thought out amp. Well done Steve!

But the down side is its pretty pricey and go for over a $1k even used. That said I would put the Carr Mercury in the top 5 all time best home/apt amps.

Disclaimer. I swapped out the emi RW&B for a Celestion Neo Century both to lighten the cab and for its brighter (sparklier) frequency response. The neo is also more sensitive at 102db so 8 watts goes a long way to being loud!

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks for the info! I do intend to have some videos coming up soon :)

9. thinline01

thinline01 Member

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! Go for a lot of vids!

10. schwa

schwa Member

I'll be interested to hear the comparison between the Mercury and the Swart - it seems like many folks look at both.

I'll also be interested to see if you end up keeping both. Is that your intention, or is one or the other going to stay?

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

My intention is indeed to keep both at this stage. I sold my Carmen Ghia as I intend on the Swart to be its replacement. I am a sucker for trem :)

12. Irreverent

Irreverent Member

I, too, have one of each. They are VERY different amps. I wouldn't part with either. I love them both, but they do different things. Keep 'em both, mojo!

Peace.

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Thanks man, I may just have to :)
    Still love that Rosewood Grosh T?

14. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I got to spend a few minutes with Steve Carr at NAMM, and I got to take a NAMM style test drive on the Mercury. I couldn't hear it all that well - it's NAMM after all - but it felt great and what I could hear sounded great too.

Great amp, great cat!

Thanks, Dana

15. gpecoulas

gpecoulas Member

I too have a Mercury but my main complaint is a wish it had another gear: like around 7 or 8 more watts. I always find myself wanting a little more volume and punch. If it had more power , you could still use the attenuator to get it to bedroom levels but it would be a much more versatile amp if it had more power. I had the 30 watt version of an Aiken Invader that had a great attenuator that could get very nice bedroom levels but still could be opened up when needed.

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

My limited exposure to Steve Carr, and how courteous, professional and passionate he was, always made me feel that I should own another one of his maps after I sold my HammerHead... and now I do again :)