Carr Mercury or Cornford Carrera?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matts Tone, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I'm looking to get a smaller amp to what I'm using around the home (I currently own a Victoria Bassman but as I don't use it out much now it's just too loud for what I need!!).

I've read great things about both the Carr Mercury & Cornford Carrera & was hoping some of you guys have tried both or one of them & could tell me your opinions on them.

I'm just wanting to use the amp mostly around the house & occasionally outside!!

Living in the UK the Cornford is naturally the cheaper option but the Mercury is still very appealing & if anything at the moment I'm probably leaning more towards the Carr than the Cornford at this point!!

Views & comments are very much appreciated :AOK

2. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Well I spoke to the UK dealers of both amps unfortunately couldn't find a store that sold both makes of the amps BUT from what I've been informed both got rave reviews!!!

I kinda got the comments that the Cornford Carrera was due to it being built in the UK obviously has that British tone to it one guy said, it was the kinda amp Marshall wish they could build so that's a compliment in my book!!

On the Carr Mercury more of the Fender feel to it with a vintage tweed tone in there - so that's definitely up my street!!

Both amps from reading there specs & features seem versatile & just what I'm looking for around the house & occasionally using outside!!

If any of you guys have tried either I'd love to read your opinion!!

Thanks

Matt

3. seeker

seeker Member

I've never tried the Carr, so can't comment on that one, but I love my Carrera. You have the option of switching from a 8 pin to 9 pin power section, you can run EL34 , 6L6, KT's , which is nice for recording or lower volume/ gainy overdrive. Superb build quality, great sound, output from 5 to 8 watts ( which is very loud in a bedroom ! ) The amp is very sensitive to preamp and power tube selection, has a very good FX loop, low and high input jacks, etc.
    For a little more bass, and fuller sound, I use the external speaker output to a 2x12 closed back, sounds great.

Howard

4. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

im the other guy...never tried the cornford, but im sure its a killer if thats the tone you are into.

i LOVE my merc, and i love fender-esq tones. i have a 6L6 in mine right now and its great. the perfect at home amp if you like fendery tones, and with some tube swapping, you can get some nice gain with the boost all the way up.

that being said, my 2-tone mercury will never go anywhere. i know its going to come in handy when i have kids too.

5. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I've played the Mercury, but not the Cornford...always wanted to though. The Mercury definitely works for home playing with the 1/10 watt setting, although that starts sounding a bit muffled to me there, I think the 1/2 setting is clearer. I would think the 8 watts cranked through its 12 inch speaker would do for playing out, but someone who owns it may tell you differently. My first impression of it is that it would be loud enough.

Plus, the Mercs look great...the black/creme/black two tone Mercurys are too classy!

Cheers

6. pnorman

pnorman Member

I had a chance to play Carrera when it was launched and it smokes.....but I did not check Mercury.

Carrera has been on my shopping list for some time....but, actually I need a good valve amp for pure home use so it could be overkill.....maybe Cornell plexi 7 would be the ticket.

7. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Cheers guys for your input as always!!

After speaking to some more stores & trying to keep a opened mind & not just look at the Cornford & Carr amps I may have stumbled across another fine amp in a: Divided By 13 CJ11.

Apparently the CJ11 is based after a tweed amp & I've always been a fan of Fender style tweed amps (I guess that's the reason I currently own a bassman!!). BUT the cool thing is even though it is 11 watts it also has a Master control so I think i could use this at home & occasionally outside!!

I'm also looking at the divided By 13 SJT 10/20 but that could have too much output for my needs + no master volume.

Thanks

Matt

8. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Well I just gave myself a nice Birthday present today I ordered a Divided by 13 CJ11 amp & should have the amp tomorrow. REALLY looking forward to trying this amp out :drool!!!

Thanks

Matt

9. pnorman

pnorman Member

Happy birthday and congrats for getting a nice amp!

10. Tonesnob72

Tonesnob72 Member

Carrera are good amp but the reason he built it was to offer a way to interface pedal delay adn reverb namely....problem is the carrera has a terrible efx loop as my brand new EH deluxe memeory man delay and EH cathedral doesnt even work in it, go to three other amp fx loops no problem, ugg what wrong with these guys not trying there fx loop out before sending out. I get a squel when trying the cathedral in efx loop, delay is audible but at 1/10 the amp volume when bypasses. $2000 bucks and cant even get a working efx loop. my brothers $300 blackstars fx loop just crapped on mine.

11. Tonesnob72

Tonesnob72 Member

Carrera are good amp but the reason he built it was to offer a way to interface pedal delay adn reverb namely....problem is the carrera has a terrible efx loop as my brand new EH deluxe memeory man delay and EH cathedral doesnt even work in it, go to three other amp fx loops no problem, ugg what wrong with these guys not trying there fx loop out before sending out. I get a squel when trying the cathedral in efx loop, delay is audible but at 1/10 the amp volume when bypasses. $2000 bucks and cant even get a working efx loop. my brothers $300 blackstars fx loop just crapped on mine.

12. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Ditto. Its good to know that someone out there had a positive experience with their Carrera, and I wish that this had been my experience, but sadly, it wasn't. I owned a Carrera (new) for a spell and given its Porsche-Carrera-sized price, I had 'high-hopes' for it, but unfortunately, I had nothing but problems with mine from the very outset.

At first glance, I thought it was simply an isolated case (i.e., a "lemon" so-to-speak), but after some research, I found droves of others out there who had also experienced an inordinate number of problems. In fact, you'll want to check Cornford's history in terms of responding to consumer inquiries because its not particularly good. In fairness, its been 3-4 years in my case, so perhaps they've improved some since then, but at that time, they had a well-documented record of being essentially 'absentee' (completely unresponsive) once the sale was made.