• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Carr Mercury Speaker swap ?

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Silver Supporting Member
Hey Steve! What wrong with just another 3/4 of an inch? :oops: You know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

The Mercury is just 3/4 inch away from me being able to install a speaker of my choice. I installed a Heritage Celestion that I planned for the Merc before I had it delivered.

Removed the RWB and the Celestion

Soldered and installed the RWB into a closed back 2x12" cab. Screwed it all back together.

I installed nylon spacers on the chassis screws on the back of the Merc and got just enough clearance from the chassis. Installed/soldered the speaker and then went to plug in the reverb cables and the input of one of the jacks was now behind the top of the magnet. No go, okay, no problem. I got out a step drill bit and located another position on the chassis to relocate the input jack for the reverb... After staring at the point to point floating handy work of Carr ( it is truly a site to behold) and thinking about "modding a perfect stock Carr amp, I backed off and reversed the whole process.

A 3/4 of an inch Steve....

So what has anyone installed aftermarket with success in stock Merc? I have searched and read some posts here and other places. Removing labels devalues a speaker (Celestion Blue) if you roll it later. The resale on a RWB is around 45 bucks. I am not touching this amp with any mods.

Let me know how you installed your speaker upgrade. Help me with some details.

Thanks in advance.:)

schwa

Are you trying to install one of these?

It's been years, so the details are murky, but I believe what I did was re-position the baffle, which is screwed into the front of the cab. I think I moved it down and to the right (looking at the back of the amp). The speaker is a little off center from the grill hole on the front of the amp now. It was tricky, and I can't promise it will work for you. The bell of the speaker now just about touches V3.

I like the combo, and the blue is still in there. I'm not sure it's so much better to have been worth the trouble and expense though.

Samsun19

I put a Scumnico in my Merc, LOVE IT. Just left the bell off, doesn't effect the sound at all.

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Silver Supporting Member
The Scumnico includes a 5-3/4" depth with the cover off, the RWB is at a depth of 5.1" and that is a tight fit.

Does the Scumnico's magnet clear the chassis? The diameter looks much smaller.

tommc

I'm quite happy with the Carr Elsonore speaker in my Carr Mercury. Bought the speaker from a guy who removed it from his brand new Rambler. No problem fitting it in. I believe you can buy these speakers direct from Carr if interested.

Samsun19

The Scumnico includes a 5-3/4" depth with the cover off, the RWB is at a depth of 5.1" and that is a tight fit.

Does the Scumnico's magnet clear the chassis? The diameter looks much smaller.
As I said, I took the bell off, and it was no problem to fit. Yes it clears.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Just bumping this thread as I recently re-acquired an original version Merc and swapped out the RWB and installed a Cele A Type. All the tubby and ratty bass with the volume up is gone. A bit more scooped in the mids. The A Type is such a good all around speaker .

darkphader

Right, the Carr cabs offer little room, if any, for speakers deeper than the stock ones.
Was able to fit a Jensen Jet Tornado Stealth 65 (very Blue like IMO) in my Lincoln after removing the bell cover.

Trending Topics