1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Carr Mercury V

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StackinChips, Nov 7, 2016.

1. GUAL

GUAL Member

Great sounding demos by Lance Keltner and the pink strat guy.
    If all that gain cleans nicely up with the guitars volume control, I think i'm in.

Groberts and MHG like this.
  2. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I love Carr amps, but this new V sounds much more modern with the gain tone sounding more Two Rock or like compressed amps with cascading pre-amps stages.

Very cool, but the clips didn't hit me like the first time I heard the Skylark or Rambler cranked.

3. porterburst

Everyone hears things differently, but from all the clips I've heard thus far, the new V nor the Impala for that matter sound nothing like the Skylark.

The V sounds very compressed when it's cranked, while the Skylark has this light compression that lets your guitars personality shine through, but remains open and airy at the same time.

The Impala is cool for pedals or loud clean tones, but the master volume gain is much different in feel and response compared to the Skylark and Rambler. Anther cool amp that didn't hit me like the Skylark and Rambler.

4. GUAL

GUAL Member

I tried the Mercury V at Guitars San Diego today ( very friendly and cool store :)
    The amp is just great, from clean to massive amounts of gain at any volume between 0 and 16 watt.
    I dont think i have tried a more versatile small amp, and it sounds just Great.
    And the gain cleans up nice with guitarvolume.
    I tried it, expecting to like it, but came away loving it. Even prefered it to the Skylark sitting next to it.
    So I am in - sooner or later, im buying that thing :)

Groberts and MHG like this.
  5. MHG

MHG Member

6. porterburst

The cleans tone are ok, but it still seems to have that semi buzzy overly compressed squashy pre-amp type drive tone I don't care for.

I love Carr amps, but I guess I was expecting something different with the new V.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    joek86 likes this.
  7. JVincent

JVincent Member

I purchased #20 from Sound Pure, and it is my desert island amp. I'm more a Marshall guy than anything, but in a general sense. I like the vintage Plexis as well as the 80s JCMs and such, but am not so specific that it has to be this model or that year etc if that makes any sense. This is without a doubt the most versatile amp I have ever played. Cleans are very good, but headroom can be limited. Overdrives are amazing and there is a ton of gain on tap if you like. Great reverb and the amp loves a good overdrive or boost in front. I use a J.Rockett Archer silver. I play everything from classic rock to Motown to 80s hair, modern pop and contemporary Christian music.

The attenuator is also amazing. The amp roars and sounds huge at full power and retains most of its character when attenuated requiring only minor eq compensation.

I love how active the bass, middle and treble are through the entire range of the control. Sounds amazing with my Tele, PRS and 335. I can even dial in decent tones with my Anderson Crowdster's unique bronze-aware mag humbuckers, which can be very tricky and picky. Great responsiveness to playing nuance and guitar volume. You can even dial in tones that feel squishy and chewy to tighter and more immediate. I can find tones in the neighborhood of fender blackface as well as a little Voxy boxiness if I need it, but the amp is definitely more Marshall at its core with what I would haracterize as a little more modern refinement if that makes any sense. Not sterile, but perhaps smoother.

I had a Bogner Atma for one day and returned it. Received this and that was it. I was hooked in the first 30 seconds. Never owned a Carr, but now I know what all the hype is about. Worth every penny. Nothing I have ever played before even in the boutique realm comes close. It makes me want to play more. I go from guitar to guitar always finding great tones, feeling inspired. There is not a bad tone in this thing.

The really interesting thing is the DI out. At first I hated it, but just a little eq quickly dials in a very authentic and usable direct sound. If you were to use this live and go direct I would put a Boogie Five EQ pedal between the amp and the DI. The bands on this pedal happen to be exactly the ones I needed to tweak to make the direct sound extremely representative of the speaker tone.

If I had one gripe it would be the continued absence of an effects loop on Carr amps. This is perhaps the one thing that prohibits this amp from being perfect For my needs. Forget about any moderate to extreme delay work unless you place it after the DI out and go into a DAW or full range system/PA. The closest I can come is to run the amp cleanish and put the delay into the front end preceded by the archer and get most of my gain from that. I almost did not buy this amp because of the lack of a loop, but I am glad I did. The tone is (or should I say tones are) that good.

MHG and GUAL like this.
  8. petty1818

petty1818 Member

This amp sounds like what I wanted the Skylark to be. I would be interested to compare the two. I remember the Skylark being a bit light on the bass side. What's the headroom like on the Merc V? I feel like this is a rock amp but those cleans are gorgeous.

9. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Agree. I'm sure there are those who will say an effects loop ruins the purity of the signal but I have other amps that have extremely transparent loops. I'd like to at least see the option to order one from Carr w a loop.

10. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

That was my only niggle with Lance's demo. He primarily showcased the drive modes ..which are awesome. But I gotta have a great clean. If it does that, I am IN also!!

GUAL likes this.
  11. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I tried the Skylark and really like that amp, but its not as rich or full as my Rambler. Nothing yet has come along to unseat my Rambler. It is so dimensional and takes pedals well. And the Tremolo is other worldly. I wonder how the Mercury V would compare to the Rambler in terms of full, rich., dimensional clean to edge of break up.

GUAL likes this.
  12. porterburst

I guess I need to play it in person because so far I haven't heard any clips that sounds Plexi-ish. It sounds more like a modern British type amp with a somewhat buzzy, squashy compressed tone I don't care for.

I'd be interested in hearing more cleans as well.

So far I haven't heard anything from the V that would encourage me to replace my Skylark, it's a little one monster.

Robert Sands likes this.
  13. MHG

MHG Member

14. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

Ed king of lynyrd skynyrd has a couple of videos on his facebook page. He said mercury v is one of the greatest amp he had. I wish someone will do a shootout and comparison to all the carr amps as I'm also undecided which one to get.

GUAL likes this.
  15. MHG

MHG Member

All the models are quite different from each other. Now that I've owned a few models, I can see how various comparison videos really don't give you the actionable info one would think........especially when it comes to the feel of the amps. If I were you, I'd start a thread asking for recommendations for your specific needs.

Like the volumes and clean headroom you need. Will you be gigging with it? Do you use pedals, or do you want drive from the amp? Do you need to able to switch from clean to overdrive on the fly, or would you use it in a studio setting where you can dial them in separately? What style of music do you play? Details like this will likely elicit some more useful info for you, and may help you narrow things down a bit.

TheLastMaya likes this.
  16. DV52

DV52 Member

You would think Sound Pure would do a real demo of the amp. Not just using it to showcase a guitar.
    By real I mean going over the functions of the amp.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  17. TheLastMaya

TheLastMaya Member

I am particularly interested with these 3 models "rambler,skylark and mercury v". I really love the cleans and tremolo of the rambler however i think skylark and mercury v has better od tones. The od tones of skylark seems great but wondering if it has enough muscle in a gig. If the mercury v has great cleans then this will be the perfect amp. I still wish it has the tremolo like the rambler though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  18. MHG

MHG Member

I had the Rambler, Skylark, Impala, and Lincoln. I ended up selling the Rambler because it was the one I eventually found myself using the least......survival of the fittest so to speak.

The Rambler is a stunning amp, and others here prefer it, so it just comes down to personal preference, playing style, and what you're looking to get out of it. How you'll be using the amp is very important though, because as with any amp, each of them have their own specific limitations.

But if you really want to boil it down, and simplify things, you could basically think of it as a Blackface vs Tweed vs Marshall kind of thing.

TheLastMaya likes this.
  19. petty1818

petty1818 Member

That's quite the collection! Which one do you use most? The Impala is my personal favourite.

20. MHG

MHG Member

I wouldn't recommend the Skylark as a gigging amp. It may not have the headroom you want, and you can't switch between clean and overdrive tones on the fly, unless you're planning on controlling things with your guitar volume. It seems that you may encounter similar issues with the Mercury as well though. I just think of the Skylark as an amazing, home, and studio amp.

The Rambler to me is all about clean to slight breakup tones. I didn't like it at all with overdrive pedals.......and I tried it with quite a few. Other's do like it with pedals, so again, to each his own. It will have the volume you need in a band situation, but clean to slight breakup is where it excels imo.

sheikyerbouti likes this.