1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Carr Mercury: Why so many for sale?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Atmospheric, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

I'm thinking of buying one of these based on my previous positive experience with SE El-34 amps (ADA Rocket) and Carr amps (owned a Hammerhead for a while).

So I'm wondering why so many of these are for sale. There's like three for sale here and at least two or three at any given time on eBay.

Anyone care to share their experiences/insights? Enquiring minds want to know.

2. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I wonder the same thing about the Memory Lanes too.

3. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

IMO, its a lot of cash to have tied up in a piece of gear that you most likey won't be able to gig with. With that said I do own a Carr Rambler and love it. You can use the rambler at home with the OD pedal of your choice for some low volume lead playing, or you can gig with it.

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Ok, but do a search on ebay for ac30 or for Matchless or Top Hat or Dr Z - there are lots for sale at any given time because boutique folk love to try out new stuff and for most people the only way to do this is to hawk some gear, even if we like it.

5. Atmospheric

Depends on the gig I suppose. The ADA Rocket (SE El-34 1-12 combo) was definitely loud enough to keep up with a drummer and play small-medium rooms. I found that particular amp to be almost too sweet/girthy/spongy - it was plenty loud enough but just didn't cut thru at all.

Anyway, thanks for sharing the insight.

6. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like it will meet your requirements. It is a nice sounding amp for sure.

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

8. raz

raz Member

They're lovely amps, but they're a bit of a special-purpose tool. It's an amp that's built to be used in a very sound-level controlled environment. Their low volume goodness appeals, but when you kick the boost to position 2 or 3 for more gain, the tone controls are defeated. The upshot is, you better like the voice it was designed with because you're not going to get a lot of tweakability. It's a very nice voice, IMHO, but that's a very subjective assessment. It's obviously not going to be everyone's cup of tea, and I think that's why you see the turnover.

If I predominantly played coffehouse or small club blues gigs where I was the only guitarist in the band, the Mercury would likely be my amp of choice. I like their voice.

GGinMP likes this.
  9. David-R

This is a very good point. I like the voice with the boost in position 1 but I don't like it in position 2 or 3 - IMO the amp is very bright with the tone controls defeated. Luckily it loves OD pedals.

10. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I will never understand why somebody would pay a lot of money for an amp like this then use an OD pedal with it.If an amp cant produce the distortion I want on its own I dont want it. I guess I kind of answered my own question....lol!

11. David-R

Unless it's a channel switcher, I don't know of an amp that will give me both great cleans and great distortion without a pedal. I need both and I'm tired of channel switching amps (for the moment) so what works well for me is a single channel amp with a great base clean tone and an OD pedal or two in front of it.

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Easiest question I've gotten all week but since you insist you'll never understand the answer I won't presume to offer it.

13. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Well, I can give you my own personal reasons for considering selling my Mercury. Whether that's more generally meaningful is anyone's guess.

For playing late at night, or while my wife is trying to write, it's a great amp. Other than that, it's a very good amp -- but I like the tones of both my Princeton Reverb & AST better. For that very particular purpose, it's a lot of money to be tied up, money that could certainly be used for more, new, different, and, of course, better gear. (Gear you don't own is always better than gear you own, as any GAS sufferer can attest.) And, while either of my other amps certainly sound better at above whisper volumes, they both sound perfectly acceptable -- which makes me wonder, "Do I really need to keep the Mercury?"

Right now, the answer is still, "Yes," but that's not definite by any means -- it's more a matter of, "Will I really regret it if I sell it?" And the answer is, I think, "No." So, I'll probably sell it within the next month or so, unless I decide that I do, in fact, want to keep it.

Ah, ambivalence.

14. raz

raz Member

These are the two greatest quotes I've heard all day.

15. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Yeah, but, it is only 10:00 in the morning. :D :eek:

16. Redrum

Redrum Member

The Carr Mercury is a great small amp. It's solidly built, portable - and for 8 watts is suprisingly loud. From whisper-quiet 1/10th of a watt through 1/2, 2 and 8 watts, the Mercury gives you a very wide range of sound levels. I only play mine on the first (cleanest) gain setting as this setting provides the EQ controls (bass and treble). You can crank the volume and get great natural tube distortion - even at bedroom volumes, and it's incredibly sensitive to manipulations of your guitar volume, or, just crack the volume at around 9:00 and run it at higher power settings and you get a very satisfying clean tone. There's so many different amp tones in the Mercury it's amazing.

The fact that you can run different power amp tubes, and than easily rebias is an added benefit. Like KT-66's?, maybe EL-34's? Takes seconds to swap and rebias. There's many amps that allow you to swap power tubes, but very few that also have a 4-stage power attenuator built-in.

Some folks find the Mercury a little quick playing with a fast attack. It's not as forgiving as tube rectified amps, but that's not necessarily a negative, they just play a little quicker.

Though I have a more complex and somewhat richer sounding Swart Atomic Space Tone, the Mercury remains the standard when it comes to enjoying high quality tube tone in you're home, apartment or any venue that requires a low volume level.

Just had to jump in here and give the little Mercury the props it deserves.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  17. Atmospheric

Hey guys, major props for the info.

I tend to like somewhat bright guitars and somewhat dark amps - I feel that I get better harmonic extension that way (the dark amp just eats up the treblness and converts to distortion). Whereas I feel that dark guitars and bright amp always have a "rolled off" sound to them.

Anyway, the one comment I heard that gives me pause has to do with the Merc being a bright amp.

I like the sort of clean tones I get by rolling back my guitar volume controls and would not be using a pedal with the Merc.

Whaddya think, still a go?

18. raz

raz Member

Huh...it's been a long time since I auditioned a friend's Mercury, but I don't remember it being a bright amp. In fact, I remember it being on the dark side...but I only have 3 functioning neurons and they can get overloaded so I may be remembering it wrong.

I'm doing a comparo of my new Jack Anderson amp against another friend's Merc tomorrow morning. I'll post my thoughts here tomorrow afternoon.

19. Atmospheric

20. David-R

The brightness IMO exists when you have the boost engaged (the tone controls are removed from the circuit). There is a treble cut switch that can be engaged but it's not enough with my Strat - especially if I'm using the bridge pup. I was able to tame some of this by changing the speaker to a Weber C1265.

I use the amp for my always mic'd "church gig" so I leave the boost off and use pedals for overdrive.