Carr Mercury

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheTaylorplayer, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TheTaylorplayer

TheTaylorplayer Member

Aside from the price, what do you all think of the Carr Mercury? I know price is obviously a factor that cant be ignored... but I am referring to the qualities of the amp itself.

Thanks in advance!

2. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

Much louder and "giggable" than you can imagine. Pristine vintage clean sounds, not sure I've ever heard better. Takes pedals very well also. I did not like the drive sounds on it so well. I wish they would have left the tone stacks intact, I think it would have been easier to tailor the drive sounds. Because of that I let mine go. If money was not an issue, it would still be in my herd....

3. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

It is a low wattage, single-ended amp. It is a good amp. But it is important to ask if want low wattage single-ended. I owned a Merc, but eventually decided I prefer class AB, fixed bias setups.

4. Samsun19

Samsun19 Member

The Merc is a really, really good amp, and with the right tubes and speaker it's a Great amp.

It's also very reliable, and well designed. The built in antenuator is very clear on the 2 & 1/2 watt settings, better than any after market units..... the 1/16 watt is pretty squared, but cool for after midnight apartment playing, and Steve and the guys @ Carr offer terrific service.

And if you don't know, the Reverb on these are very, very good.

It has two gain stages, the 1st stage is pretty great w/ a valco vibe....

Just went through my 5 year old Merc, and I'm Really in Love the second time around.

It hadn't ever been re-tubed, and it works for a living in my teaching studio, about 30 hours a week. The funny thing is, the cleans were still good. But, the grind must have been taking it's toll for a while, at slow rate so that I didn't notice..... and I was thinking about a second amp, in the marshally end of the pool..... to complement the killer clean of the Merc, until I met Terry Kilgore.... aka "The Tube Tramp" or/ "The Sargent".

Terry has some Serious Vodoo Tube Magic skills and when he was done...... WOW Kabam ^%$ PLow LOL The Merc is rockin.... Better Than New, more sparkle, MORE gain, it's born again hard. Really.

So, now I have to recommend to all Merc owners what I've done......

1. Re-tubed by Terry Kilgore "The Tube Tramp", and I'm blown away. ( lot's of cats sell tubes, but trust me when I say, Terry is a Tube Artist.... not just a vendor. He understands the art of tube combinations for remarkable results..... Highest Recommendation)

2. Jim from Scumback designed the Best speaker ever made, Scumnico..... and it's sweet, soft around the edges, breaks up quick, old school which I dig, never icepicky, lots of bottom, with less overall volume...... for home studio> purrrrfect.

With my Don Mare Night Rider Pups.... this rig is home studio dream.

And after slamming the front end with my ghetto stomp, ocd, or sunlion..... I don't miss the marshally thing anymore.

Best,

5. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

I have questions for Merc owners about using the amp with dirt pedals. Does anyone have an issue with the top end crackling or fizzing out, almost as if it is overloaded?
    I have been using it with a Fulldrive II, a Maxon OSD and a Soulbender all with mixed results. The higher the drive/gain the worse it gets. The fuzz box being the biggest offender.
    Swapping speakers, the Kingpin, and two Webers' have not really changed things. The one that seemed to work best was the Weber 12F150B, a more mid-rangey speaker, seemed to tone it down a bit.
    Playing with the treble, bass, bright switch and tube changes have helped, but the sound is still there. Plugging straight in , there is the slightest hint of it especially with higher output pickups.
    Sorry to highjack the thread, but I thought Merc users might be reading this post and may have some useful comments. I do love the amp but I would like to make it more pedal friendly. Thanks

6. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

My Mercury is very nice sounding amp. You cannot go wrong with one of Steve Carrs' amps. This low watt amp is built is built by a pro. It's one of those amps that let's your fingers melt into the guitar when playing around. One of the best amps to have sitting at home,(for me), and hooking up to. I have not had any trouble with pedals. Most the time I find myself just playing straight ino it. I will hook up a T-Rex when I run it on 2 or 3 on the Boost.

It's a rich sounding low watt amp and you can't go wrong with having a Carr.

7. schwa

schwa Member

I use my Mercury with 4 different dirt pedals. (Fulldrive II, Plexidrive, Muff, and Ultimate Octave fuzz. I haven't heard the top end crackling problem you describe, All of the pedals work fine with the amp.

With NOS Mullards, and a Cele Blue my Mercury is a dream come true.

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

right now im running a heritage G12M in my merc, along with a 50's GE 5881 and it sounds great!

i love the mercury. i also have a rambler and i love steve's amps!

9. nickelwound

nickelwound Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies guys, what power tube do you guys run and where do you run the bias at?

Also, I have not really run the amp at the eight watt setting, usually the two watt mode. For those not having problems, do you consider your speaker broken in??

thanks again

10. Redrum

Redrum Member

I got one of the earlier Merc's which was outfitted with a KT66 biased around 50-51. Biased a 6L6 around the same. EL34 around 45-46, ditto for a KT77.

Personally, I liked the KT66 best overall and especially clean. Had a good extended low end and nice glassy top, but I have experienced bias drifting issues with both the GT it came with and a JJ I tried. I believe that is one reasons Carr switched over to a EL34 as the stock power tube, KT66's were just not reliable enough. Of course, if you can find an "authentic" NOS KT66.................

The 6L6 at 51 sounded pretty Fendery. I liked it, but it just didn't have the overall character of the KT66's. The EL34's seemed a little tubby sounding clean, but really seemed to work well with the Merc in the second gain position. The thicker mids in the EL34's seen to offset the slightly attenuated bass of the the second gain position (and third gain position which I don't normally use). I tried a KT77 biased at 46 and it sounded a little more open than the EL34's clean and a little brighter than the EL34 in the second gain position. Pretty nice though.

In the end, that's one of the coolest aspects of the Mercury - you can easily swap-out and experiment with different power tubes (along with preamp tubes of course) and easily bias to taste.

11. shawntp

shawntp Member

I loved my Mercury. It had great cleans and nice breakup when you dropped the wattage and cranked it. Reverb was just dream-like and the tone was wonderful. Its one of the best low to small venue volume capable amps (and sounds killer at ever volume stage).

It takes pedals well. The only thing I never warmed up to was the overdrive stages - the overdrive on this amp is very tight sounding (in general the whole amp is very tight sounding as it is intended as a recording amp). I was using it with a Klon and a Zendrive for a while and then I played a two-rock Jet and had to have that chewy gain and sold the Carr. I miss that amp a lot as it was a great sounding - perfectly sized and capable tone machine.

I have to use a Ho attenuator to get great tones out of my Two-Rock at low levels because I was so spoiled by the Carr.

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

My first impressions after acquiring mine are here.