Carr or Swart?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jkamp20, Mar 16, 2008.

1. jkamp20

jkamp20 Member

Hello all, I have been looking into picking up a either a Swart SST or the Carr Slant 6V. I understand that these are two completely different beasts (single channelv vs. 2 for the carr). I'm really interested in getting into the 6v6 tone so basically I wanted some input from players who have A/B'd these amps or have owned them. What are the tonal differences? how do the reverbs compare? Anything you guys might think would be of great help since I don't have a local Carr or Swart dealer.

2. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Both are good amps, but I would take a good hard look at Mark's Pure 64 Mean Street Classic. I would take th Pure 64 over both amps. If you needed tremelo then I would look at the Swart. THe clean tone is better with the Pure 64. Good Luck and enjoy the hunt.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Played 'em both (used to own a Carr Hammerhead too so I'm familiar with Carr quality) and to me no contest...the SST is a far better-sounding amp. As to quality of build, should be about even.

4. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

I don't know man....I picked up an SST from some troll out in the Gorge who had a momentary lapse of reason, and I'm floored every time I turn that amp on...absolutely killer. I can't imagine better cleans than a Strat / Tele into the low input with the voice switched to low...of course I do own the MAGIC cabinet ;) I like it much better than the few Carr's I've played.

So, my vote is the Swart - but I've not played a Pure 64...I probabaly could arrainge it though :p

Steve E

5. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of each maker, although not the specific models in question. If you like reverb, the Carr is good, Swart is great. Carrs also tend to have SS rectifiers, and feel very hard, while the Swarts are much softer, more tweedy.

I would take the Swart in a heartbeat, as the Swart tone & feel better suits my playing.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

I had both the Carr Rambler, and the Swart AST at the same time, and did extensive A/B testing, and while they were different tonally, I much preferred the Rambler.

I thought the tremelo and reverb on the Swart were too overpowering. Kind of too little when set too low, and went right to obnoxious by just tweaking the controls a bit. Poor tapering of the controls. I also thought the Swart sounded a bit boxy, and did not take pedals nearly as well as the Rambler. Also, the Swart had a narrow tube socket in the chassis for the preamp tubes, and did not accept a lot of wider 12AX7 tubes. I know that Swart addressed the tube socket and the home brew cosmetics by doing two-tone tweed on the later models (as opposed to lacquered burlap bag).

The Rambler was more open sounding, with an incredilbe drippy Fendery tone that was addictive, and the reverb and tremelo were well done IMO. Some think the trem could have more speed on the extreme end, but I though it was perfect. While the Swart had a tube rectifier, the Rambler felt like it had more give to me. Also, the Rambler takes pedals very well.

Just my thoughts, as it is all subjective.

B

7. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

The Slant 6 has a GZ34/5AR4 tube , the Rambler is SS and has a sag mod in the rectifier circuit . Never tried a Swart but I'm liking my Carr's . :BEER

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

I find the AST nicer than the Rambler. Then again, this about two different types of amps in the SST vs. the Slant 6V.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

THe Hammerhead is EL-84 based. I heard a country-rock band at a party and had to stop and look at the amp casue,really, I had never heard that good of tone,(I have 40 years of experience). It was either a Carr Slant or Imperial. Wicked tone with no pedals. Made me get a Mercury. I have a feeling that the Swart is equally good int one; just different, though I have never heard one. Someone said it was more of a Tweed sound??

10. Defendant

Defendant Member

Between the AST and Slant, I'd go for the AST. Great sounding amp.

11. sqadan

sqadan Member

The Hammerhead uses EL-34s and has a very low-watt marshally bark to it. It is a great sounding amp - but the controls are damn confusing! I tried one out several times and for the life of me could not figure out how the Grip control was interacting with the rest of the tone stack.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

The AST is indeed a great sounding amp but he's looking between the SST and the Carr. As before I say the SST. I may just add to my original post that I feel it sounds best with its attendant cab. I played it through two other cabs and although it was still sounding good the Swart 2 X 12" cab is just tailor-made for the SST head.