Carr Raleigh

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ptecat, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ptecat

ptecat Member

Anyone play one of these yet?

I am just curious

:munch

2. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I played one today for about twenty minutes with a Collings City Limits and a set-neck tele with P90s. My first impression was how small, light, and solid the amp was. The cabinet is really nice looking.

The controls are volume, tone, and a master volume. The master volume is only in the circuit when a switch is flipped. Playing with just the volume and tone (no master), you can get a wide range of sounds from clean to overdriven. You can get a bit of 'chime' with the tone turned up and the volume pretty high. Since it is 3 watts, that isn't particularly loud.

With the master volume in the circuit you get a lot of distortion. Even with the volume at 9 o'clock it is a moderately distorted sound, though it does clean up really well from the guitar. Varying the tone control of the amp you can get some really smooth, sustainy sounds to more cutting (but not very fizzy) distorted sounds. It gets a lot more distortion than other Carrs that I've played. I definitely think it sounded best with the master turned most of the way up.

Who is the amp for? I could see myself using it on lap steel for smaller venues. The distorted side would be great for that. The clean settings have a lot of the class A harmonics going on, which I like a lot with teles. I think it would work really well in a recording studio. As a home amp it would be a lot of fun, though I liked it best at volumes that would be a bit too loud for home use.

The one downside is that althrough there are a lot of great sounds in the amp, but you'll only have access to one at a time.

Bryan

4. texasturner

texasturner Member

I have one on order, just loved the online demos...

5. ptecat

ptecat Member

Thanks Brian for the nice review. Just what I was looking for. I am interested in a single-ended EL-84 amp for home use. I have a Gries 5 as well. I use it for band rehearsals and it can get very loud with a 6L6!

What was the price on this. I think the list is $1250. Any discount at the store?

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

As far as I know, Carr amps are sold at a fixed price. The amp was marked at $1250.

Bryan

7. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

That is true.

Some dealers will offer free shipping...but that is probably the best that you can do.

I am going to try to find one of these things to try out. Interesting.

8. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

lark street in teaneck, nj has one, or at least they had the last time i looked.

9. gdcx

gdcx Silver Supporting Member

Thanks!

I may be headed down there Sunday to visit family so I think I will have to "run out to the store to get a quart of milk for the kids" :rolleyes:

10. texasturner

texasturner Member

Nice samples on Carr website now. Nice cleans for a 3W amp...

11. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

just about everything he makes is killer! I saw Steves band last weekend and he was gigging with 2 Mercurys .. sounded awesome

12. guitarblue cat

guitarblue cat Member

Ordered one four months ago and took delivery yesterday. Purple tolex with flame maple panels, it is simply elegant and cool looking. This is biggest sound I have ever experienced from such a low wattage amp and I have owned Champs and several other small 10" tube combos. Even though not extremely loud (one could gig with it in a small intimate setting, and always of course in a larger venue if mic'd up) it quickly fools the brain into believing the sound is much larger and louder, until you realize that you can hear your picking and that you can hold a conversation above the "roar." There a bit of plexi in the chemistry of this amp and it will clean up beautifully by backing off the volume control, to that just OD point. The clean channel is reminiscent of a Champ. Overall the sound is very juicy and touch responsive. Steve Carr has really gone to great lengths to design and produce a package of tonal wonder with this little guy. The Raleigh is not cheap, but it doesn't sound it either. The build quality couldn't be higher. In my opinion, Steve Carr is a modern day amp alchemist and one thing that sets him apart from other so-called boutique designers is that he and his team have excellent ears and know how to listen carefully to what it is he is committing to design and implementation. In the long run, I am confident he will be recognized as one of the top tier classic tube amp designers of our time. So far, every guitar sounds stellar through this amp. I have yet to play a Carr amp that didn't sound amazing. :banana

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  13. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

i scored one on ebay last week. beautiful & meticulous made amp with a surprising amount of clean headroom. the gain is fun but the cleans are blackface lush and pedal friendly. a very loud and serviceable three watts. nothing boxy or small about the projection and sound of the amp, if used as intended - home & recording. the easy bias, ironman over build, artisan wiring job, and high quality components are all carr flagship but all that means diddle unless the amp sounds fantastic. and it does. really, really, really fantastic.

14. princeton

princeton Member

Most EL84 amps that i had worked bad with overdrive pedals.

How does the Raleigh take Overdrive/Distortion pedals ?