1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Carr Rambler and Celestion Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KenSea, Sep 24, 2005.

1. KenSea

KenSea Member

Has anyone tryed a Celestion Blue in this amp? If so, how did you like it?

2. KenSea

KenSea Member

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I think it would sound very good, but I'd be concerned about the speaker blowing with the amp in the pentode mode (15 watt speaker, 28 watt amp).

4. KenSea

KenSea Member

I have considered that but seeing as I only play at home at this point I am not sure it would be a problem. I wont upgrade if I can't make a real difference. I am somewhat worried the bass might not be all that great in the Blue, as I have read that the bass is a little soft. Are You famuliar with the Fanes?

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

50 Watt Weber Blue Dog lightly doped w/40 oz magnet.

Try it you wont be dissapointed.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Good point........I like a bit of compression and low end saturation for the music I play. If you want pure clean tones, a higher wattage speaker that can handle low end might be a better choice.

Never tried the Fanes.....

7. Ken

Ken Member

Could you please explain the tonal difference when you changed out your stock Rambler speaker for the Weber Blue Dog?

How does it change your clean and pedal driven overdriven sounds?

Thanks

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The clean sound is much better with the Weber over the stock speaker. The dirty is great!

The stock speaker sucks.

If your just wanting a great clean sound the reissue Jensen C12N is incredable but sounds like arse dirty.

I would also suggest a Celestion G12 Century for a transparent all around good sound.

Any of these speakers are a major improvement over the Kingpin.

9. KenSea

KenSea Member

Have you actualy tryed this with the Rambler?

10. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes I've tried the Weber and the Jensen among others in it. I havent tried the Century but from what I've heard so far out of the Century I know it would sound good. I have four of the Centurys. Two are Century and two are Century Vintage.

To me the best speaker for that amp would be the Weber Blue Dog 8 ohm 50 watt lightly doped 40 oz Magnet. The Clean is not as good as with the Jensen but it will be miles above the Kingpin.

Weber will suggest the 30 watt Blue Dog but I prefer the 50 watter.

I cant understand why they put those Kingpin Speakers in em. They sound muffled with hardly no high end and to much midrange.

11. studio8000

studio8000 Member

with my Ramblers, i loved the sound with the stock speakers... then i heard all these people saying the speaker sucked and try Weber or Eminence replacements. so i went that route and tried em. my conclusion... i liked the KingPin better. so i put it back in. i think Steve Carr used those speakers with his amps for a reason. and he probably voiced the amps while hearing it through that speaker so it makes sense. i guess everyone has different opinions, but i like the Rambler just fine with the stock speaker. i think a Blue might sound a little bright considering the Rambler is plenty bright already no?

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Agreed on all counts. Some folks may like other speakers better, that's fine, but I think it's a pretty good match for the amp and I suspect Steve likes it too. It's not like he's one to cut corners on his amps. There's no way I'd describe the tone as muffled; there is more than enough high end in that speaker.

If I had to suggest some alternatives, I'd give the Cannibis Rex, Tonker, Wizard, and Tonespotter a try. The C Rex works great in a BFDR so would probably also do well in a Rambler. (Check clearances with any of these first. )

13. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Rambler too and find no lack of treble with the stock speaker. the nature of the bass response is inherent in this design. (it's not super tight)

I believe some others have posted indicating Carr recommended trying the C-Rex as an option.

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I guess I shouldnt just trash the Kingpin Speaker but I do not like it in the Rambler. To me it dosent have enuff highs. I did put a couple of Kingpins in a 68 Pro Reverb and they sounded fine in it.

Just my cent and a half. :D

15. RichKelley

RichKelley Member

I have a 2X12 Avatar open back with Celestion Blues. My Rambler is 2x12 also (stock Kingpins). I've hooked up the Avatars with the Blues to the Rambler and I didn't hear much difference - really. And I like my Blues a lot. I use them with my GDS 18W and they sound fantastic.

The Kingpins work for me.

Rich

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I dont really see Eminence Kingpin Ceramic Speakers sounding like Celestion Blues Alnico Speakers.

Major difference in those speaks. Just me.

Kingpins = No Highs

Blues = Bright and Shiny

:confused:

17. KenSea

KenSea Member

I didnt mean to start anything here, just looking for some suggestion and maybe other peoples experience with different speakers. There really isnt wrong or right.
    Thanks guys

18. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

kensea, it's all good dude :)

the carr shop is way cool. steve or one of his guys are very helpful. I wasn't even the orig owner of my greenie and they called me back and were very willing to give me any suppport.

I guess everyone has a different view of this amp, and that's is ok. as with any amp, it will also depend on how you tube it. I've heard many talk about early breakup, but I have PLENTY of clean headroom when playing in a band situation. in my experience, way more than a blackface deluxe anyway. I have the stock preamp tubes and I retubed the 6l6's with some SED Winged C's is all. I picked up another 12at7 to try, but haven't popped it in yet.

good luck !

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I love that amp. No hurt feelings here just dont get the way the Kingpin sounds and certainly not like a Blue.

I think those Carrs are great amps.

20. Shemp

Shemp Member

My problem with the Kingpin was bass response. As soon as I pushed the amp the speaker farted out. If you play it mostly at 2 or 3 on the volume scale no problem, when I tried to play it out it couldn't keep up with a DR.

I tried a Cannabis Rex.... excellent match. Very much like an old C12N.

Right now I have a Weber California in it. The rig is a little sterile by itself because the cali is such a clean speaker, but I run an RC booster full time into a TTE before it hits the Rambler and it sounds absolutely huge. Great blues rig.