Carr Rambler and Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by srslots, Feb 15, 2009.

1. srslots

srslots Member

Hello! This is my first post, but I have gotten a lot of great information from the forum so far.

I recently got a Carr Rambler. First off, I love the amp! I am playing a 50th Anniversary Strat through it with some great pedals.

I am looking to add a great humbucker guitar to the mix, probably a les paul (standard or R8).

How do the Ramblers sound with a good les paul? Im able to crank the amp in a band and we gig a lot, so this is more than just bedroom playing.

We play Zep, Black Crowes type music.

Ive heard a lot that the Viceroy is great for the heavier rock sounds, will the Rambler still be great with a Les Paul for this type of music. It's magic with the Strat...

Thanks!

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i use an R8 and a 335, plus other assorted guitars, and they all sound killer through my rambler.

in fact, id say that the rambler helps my guitars sound better! they get favorable reviews because they simply are GREAT amps, as im sure you know by having one. i love mine and its been my favorite amp since i got it.

3. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP and congrats on recently acquiring a Rambler! My favorite guitar to use with my Rambler is an R9 Les Paul, and I feel the tone just kills - both clean and when pushed.

For heavier tones I like to set the Volume on the amp anywhere from 12:00 - 2:00 > up the Mid control to 3:00 > and then use a Fulldrive II for more dirt. With my Les Paul and this pedal/amp setup I'm able to pull off a VERY SATISFYING old school Marshall-esque rock tone ala early ZZ Top, Zeppelin, Cream, Free, AC/DC, etc...

I will add that my Rambler is one of the newer models with the now stock Eminence Wizard speaker - which IMO - is a BIG reason why I love the amp so much when pushed hard with humbuckers. I've owned the Rambler before with the Kingpin speaker and thought it sounded great, but the Wizard just takes the amp to another level IMHO.

Love the Rambler - just a GREAT amp!

4. srslots

srslots Member

Thanks guys! Your responses were exactly the type I was looking for. I've actually been meaning to try a FD2. The other guitar player in my band has one, but I havent tried it yet. Right now Im using an OCD and a Box of Rock which give me a wide range of tones as it is.

Can't wait to have a Les Paul to compliment my Strat. She will be mine...oh yes....she will be mine...

5. jamoed

jamoed Member

you other guitar player rules.

:)

6. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Another happy rambler guy here, use it with my tom anderson droptop with hums, sounds great, can break up quicker obviously, but has a lot of headroom. I have the older speaker as well, does anyone have any recommendations for upgrades? I'm worried the wizard will be too bright.
    Kurt

7. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have wondered the same thing. It wasn't too bright in the Viceroy, but still waiting to hear it in the Rambler.

8. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

The Viceroy is a relatively high headroom amp. It wouldn't recommend it for rockin out unless you plan to use pedals.

9. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

I'm waiting on a Rambler head and 2x12 cab myself from Carr. One week to go!

srslots (or Pete) ,what pedals do you use and like best with the Rambler? I have a Boss BD, but thinking about Barber DD, Xotic BB,or even a Hoochee Mama(funnest name to say!), and everyone here seems enthralled with Tim or Timmy. Do I really need to buy all of them to get it right?
    For reference, I also play various HB (R9 and LP Custom)and single pup guitars (strat and tele), and of course, love Zep.

10. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Just toasted the Kingpin speaker in my Rambler. I wanted a little darker sound anyway. ;)

I replaced it with a Mesa Black Shadow MC90 that I got from a friend that has a music store. It is a Celestion that was made for Mesa. I like it a lot more than the Kingpin. The speaker is a little less efficient, so the Rambler breaks up a little sooner. Its a higher wattage speaker, and the cone is a lot tighter, os it doesn't fart out on the low notes like it used to.

I'm thinking of finding another one to put in my Vincent ...

-jm

11. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I believe that Steve Carr plays a Strat style guitar, so the tone stack may lean a little in favor of a Strat. It can sound really great with a humbucker guitar, but I suspect you'll need to experiment with the tone and pedal settings.

I have a guitar with Fralin Blues Specials, one with WCR Darkbursts, and one with Lollar Mini Buckers. I don't really have to change much between the Mini buckers and the WCRs, but I need to tweak the Bass and Middle for the single coils.

Strats are typically lacking in the low freqs, so mid and bass to compensate. The Humbuckers are usually higher output, so the O/D pedal doesn't need quite so much boost for the Les Paul.

Just a little info to go on ... don't write off the Les Paul or the Rambler if it doesn't do it for you the first time you crank it up. Be prepared to experiment.

-jm

12. motis1953

motis1953 Member

My Heritage 535 w/Seth Lovers delivers absolutely killer blues tones with the Rambler pretty well cranked and working the volume pots. (No pedals needed).