Carr Rambler for blues?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by phusana, Feb 13, 2008.

1. phusana

phusana Member

On paper it sounds perfect: Portable, light 1x12, reverb, tremolo, 14/28 watts. I'm looking for something from blues to alt country swampy kind of style. Home studio/jams, small bar gigs at most.

Any guidance from Rambler players appreciated.

2. Rick0

Rick0 Member

The Rambler works great for blues with a good pedal. It absolutely kills for jazz and country stuff! It's got plenty of power for the type of gigs you're describing. It has outstanding clean tones, but it doesn't get very dirty without a pedal. I use either a BB or a Zendrive. I love the fact that it's so light and quick to set up. If you are interested, I have a clip that will give you an idea of what it sounds like with a BB in front of it at:
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3820&alid=-1
    Scroll down to #10, (Stormy Monday-Please excuse the playing)

RickO
    http://www.rickowens.4t.com/

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

It's perfect for blues, the swampier the better. A great thick-toned little monster it is, and still has resonable head room. Takes pedals really well, and has great cleans. The only slight, and I mean slight criticism I have about it is that at full vol. the bass can get a little loose, although you'll find few amps of that size and power range that are much tighter. Really well made.

4. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

I agree that the amp gets a little loose down low when dimed but sounds amazing that way for me its not too sloppy at all especially in triode- the tremelo is SWEET too.

It takes pedals like a dream -really- Ive gigged one for 2 yrs now and it is great - if you can find one w/ a kingpin 60 in it you'll be happier w/ the sound -however they dont make them anymore- so a usd one may be the way to go.

5. phusana

phusana Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it! Sounds good Rick, nice playing too, no apologies! Yeah, thick and clean works for me most of the time, along with my no-name OD clone for some leads.

Not planning on dimeing it, so the loose bottom shouldn't be a problem. In 14W triode mode, do the cleans dirty up some at reasonable volume levels?

6. snoggin

snoggin Member

I would also check out the vincent, awesome and 7 or 23 watts. REAAALLLLLY nice cleans and takes pedals great

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I love my Carr Rambler, it's been my to go "little amp" with a great big sound! I just used it the other night at a local jam and the other amps on stage were a Fender Twin Reverb RI, Mesa Boogie Mark III, Fender Hot Rod Deville. My Carr Rambler 1x12 (KingPin) in the pentode mode sounded amazing and there was no problem as far as volume was concerned...
    Highly recommended!

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

same here, LOVE my rambler. its a killer little amp with great cleans, which is exactly what i like.

9. tcaron

tcaron Member

The Rambler 12" is the perfect amp for me. I use a strat, tele '72 Thinline, Guild Bluesbird, Hagstrom Viking II and a Dano U1 in it. It can handle everything I give it and it is versatile enough to shape the sound the way I like. I can get really deep and rich or tight and twangy.

I bought it used for about $900.00 less than new. This is my favorite amp after owning many. I wish it have an extension speaker out though.

10. opdev

opdev Member

If you think a PR or a DR is ok for blues then the Rambler will. be as well.

11. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Another Rambler lover here! I'm a Classic Rock/Blues Rock player, and with my Les Paul or Strat > Fulldrive II > Rambler 1x12 - I can cover most everything I like to do.

The amp can sound Blackface-ish, or more Tweed-like depending upon how you set the midrange control, has GREAT headroom given it's modest wattage rating, and takes pedals as well as any amp I've owned. Great reverb and trem - and the 1x12 combo is so portable it is just silly!

I have to respectfully disagree with the statement made earlier about the Kingpin 60 being superior in the Rambler. I've owned 3 different Ramblers...
    a 1x2 and a 2x12 version with the Kingpin speaker, as well as my newest 1x12 which has the current Eminence Wizard.

I GREATLY prefer the Rambler with the Wizard speaker in EVERY regard. Better (more immediate) cleans, more volume, and the amp responds and holds together MUCH MUCH better when driven hard. Love the Rambler with the Wizard! :dude

12. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

great blues amp, but does stay pretty clean till you really run it high vol

I'm still undecided about the Wizard speaker. my amp orig had the Kingpin and I've experimented a bit with speakers. currently, have the Wizard in there but find it's definitely brighter. maybe it just need to break it in some more. I do like the tighter low end...

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Anyone try one of these in a 2x12 or 2x10? Always thought it may be quite the ticket.

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Yet another Rambler fan. I've played the 2x10 and 2x12. Both sound great, but the 1x12 is my fave. A Klon in front and I'm in blues heaven. As others have stated, don't expect a big, booming low end. That's not what it does. It is rich and harmonically complex. Simply fantastic.

I've tried the Vincent and while it sounds good, it's very different from the Rambler. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed with the Vincent. Just my $0.02 as I know others love it. It is a big more aggressive sounding in the upper mids. Personally, I love the sweetness of the Rambler.

For more fun, run it in parallel with a Matchless, such as the Spitfire. A match made in heaven!

15. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

I've got the 1x15 version....awesome :BEER