Carr Rambler + Klon. How do they sound together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dana, May 12, 2006.

1. Dana

Dana Guest

I have a Carr Rambler on the way from Indoor Storm. I'm currently on the list for a Klon (Had one, sold it, Duh!)

Does anyone have any experience with using them together? How do they sound?

Thanks,

Dana

2. Shemp

Shemp Member

I own a Rambler, have never owned a Klon. However, with any "clean" boost that I own RC Booster, PD 01, Sparkle Drive it sounds fantastic, for that matter any OD/dirt/fuzz/distortion pedal I've tried works wonderfully with the Rambler. Great amp as long as it doesn't have a Kingpin speaker in it.

3. Dana

Dana Guest

What's the newer speaker?

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The local store I work part time at carry's Carr, the Rambler's a great little amp, it just doesn't sound little. I played an AC boost through it and bought the ac, took it home and HATED IT. I tried every other OD I own through it and it sounded great as a combonation. Including a Cot 50, Eternity, every Barber dirt box ever made, an MJM blues devil, REetza, FUZZHEAD, bunch of Mayer boxes, maxon and last but not least my KLON. Made me look back... and down to make sure it was the little b*st#rd, it just lets everything do pretty well, there's been a couple of farts, but it lets the good stuff sound the way it should. good, and there is little better than the KLON at kicking a fighting amp in the balls. Now if everthing goes according to plan mid week it may meet the KOT. BWAAH HAHAHAHAHA!

5. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

6. Ken

Ken Member

A Weber...From what I've heard on here, it improves the already great sound of the Rambler...And I was told you can order the Speaker direct from Weber if you want to exchange your kingpin speaker for the new Weber.

7. Ken

Ken Member

Also the new Barber Direct Drive really does a solid job giving the Rambler a Marshall favor. Do not be put off because the DD is not an expensive pedal. The DD does what it does extremely well...It kicked a Pro Anolog dual drive off my board for good...

I listened to those clips on the indoor storm web site and then I played the DD with the Rambler right afterwards. The DD is in the same tonal area to my ears. I did some adjustments internally to the DD...I increased the bass quite a bit and moved up the presence control about a 1/4 turn.

8. Den

Den Member

If you're condering other pedal combinations, two pedals I love with my Rambler are the Tim and Barber Burn Unit EQ ... separately and together, just awesome tones.

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just got a Rambler this past week and love the little bugger. It takes all pedals really well. I owned a KLON. It was one of the first ones made. I sold it when I heard I can get twice what I paid. I probably should have held on to it but to be honest I'm not that bummed. My 79' TS9 Tube Screamer and my G2D Creamtone sound amazing through that amp. I also put my Digitech 2101 striaght through the front and was really surprised at how good the sounds were. I think I have found my ultimate Bedroom rig as well as a great recording amp. [​IMG]

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Klon + Rambler = Marshall tone with medium gain sweetness.

Eddie Berman turned me onto this combo, and it do work!

S.
    j

11. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I really liked the Klon with the Rambler - thought they mated up very well. Probably my favorite overdrive with the Rambler, IMO.

12. Ken

Ken Member

If I buy a Klon...And say I decide to sell it...Would I be able to get my money back on say Ebay?

In other words, is the Klon a good gear investment if and when you decide to sell it?

13. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I think the Klon is a pretty stable investment. I've owned and sold three of them and never lost a dime. There are always people (like me) who will pay a little extra to avoid the wait for a new one.

I sometimes think I should have stopped my gear hunt with the first Rambler and first Klon I had - just a killer combo.

14. Dana

Dana Guest

I've ordered my second Klon after selling the first one (Doh!) a few months ago on ebay. Sold it for more than I paid new. There are people out there willing to pay more to avoid the wait.

15. Dana

Dana Guest

Hmmm, Ken I got a different response from Dave at Indoor Storm. He says the Kingpin is the new speaker being installed in the Rambler, replacing the Weber. See below.

Carr used to use Weber speakers. The new ones have the Kingpin, which is designed by Eminence.

Thanks, Dave at Indoor Storm

http://www.indoorstorm.com
    2300 Westinghouse Blvd.
    Suite 110
    Raleigh, NC 27604
    877-319-8473 ext. 2#
    http://www.indoorstorm.com
    Join our mailing, follow this link:
    http://www.indoorstorm.com/mailinglist.html

16. Ken

Ken Member

Dana,

I looked for the thread, but it must have been one of the one's missing in the abiss...

I called Carr myself to ask them after I heard here that Carr just started putting a new Weber speaker into the Rambler and if current Rambler owners could get one.

The person at Carr said they would let Weber sell the speaker direct to current owners...The speaker is called the "R1" and its based on the Weber Vintage series.

And here is the link:

http://www.carramps.com/update_archive.html

I have not pulled the trigger yet on the new speaker...Maybe I will get a Klon first:D

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Dave's a bit rusty on his Carr info. Check it:

Carr Amplifiers introduces new stock speakers!
    We at Carr Amplifiers have used and loved the Eminence Kingpin 60 in since 2000, but the maker of a critical component in the speaker went out of business and, as a result, Eminence can no longer produce Kingpin 60s. This change in the status quo presented an opportunity for us to visit all options and select the best speakers for Carr Amplifiers. After much comparative listening, testing, and re-listening, we have decided on two speakers which follow the Kingpin closely but introduce additional strengths matched to the models in which they are used.

For all Mercury, Hammerhead combos, and Slant 6Vs we now use the Eminence 'Red, White, and Blues' speaker.

For all Rambler 1-12s we now use a custom Weber VST 'R-1' 50 watt vintage style speaker. (All models using 10" speakers are the Eminence Legend 105. All 15" models use the Legend 151. Closed-back Hammerhead extension cabinets use the Eminence Cannabis Rex).

Comparisons:
    Red, White, and Blues vs. Kingpin 60 (Slant 6V, Mercury, and Hammerhead combos)

The RWB has even more control in the low end with a much silkier top. Like the Kingpin it has a lot of 'jump' and dimension.
    Weber R-1 vs. Kingpin (Rambler 12' models)

This speaker very much like the Kingpin but with more 'shimmer' and 'swirl' in the top end while having a nice snappy low end. Very dimensional.

All in all we selected these speakers with the same ear that selected the Kingpin so the similarities should not be a surprise. In addition, we feel that the added characteristics of these new speakers will be very pleasing! Most importantly, the amps characters are preserved through these choices.
    The Carr Amps fortune cookie says "Unforeseen change brings positive outcome to everybody!"

http://carramps.com/carrframeset.html

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Also, Kingpin swappers -
    How difficult are speaker changes in an amplifier? What's involved?

19. Ken

Ken Member

Has anyone here tired or have the new R1 speaker fro the Rambler?

20. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

The Klon sounds good in front of any amp. If you buy it new from the manufacturer you should be able to sell it for more simply because of teh huge back order. I have heard (and owned) several "like Klon" pedals. Nothing comes close...its a pedal like no other. The Tim, King of Tone, COT 50 are all fine pedals in their own way...but they are not the Klon.
    I love the Barber DD, its my favorite mid to high overdrive pedal, but it won't give you the clean fat woody sound that the Klon provides. Combine that with the Carr and you have the makings of a monster.

By the way, if Marshall tone is what you are after, Carr made a great amp some time ago called the El Moto. I owned one for some time, sounded like a great modded Marshall. Still wish I had not sold it.