Carr Rambler - new Weber speaker vs. original Kingpin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by suhr_rodney, Jun 12, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Any Rambler owners out there who can comment first hand on the differences between the original Kingpin speaker and the new Weber that Carr now ships stock? I must be one of the few who are pretty happy with the Kingpin, but I can't help but wonder what I'm missing.

2. Ken

Ken Member

I am wondering about the same thing...

I do notice that on the Kingpin, the low E could use some tightening esp. on crunch tones playing classic rock, using a Barber Direct Drive...

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My Rambler already had the Weber Blue Dog and its sounds great to my ears. I heard that the Kingpin was pron to Flabbyness and woof with humbuckers but I can't confirm that.

I'd go with the weber unless you are really just happy the way it is. If it aint broke don't fix it ........right? :AOK

4. soulfixinman

soulfixinman Supporting Member

So are we sure that the new Carr amps are shipping with Weber Blue Dogs' ?

I have an old slant6v and may want to try it with the Weber

5. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

Not weber blue dogs. Another Weber model that is proabably similar to one of their vintage American style ones, IIRC.

6. Ken

Ken Member

The new Weber Speaker in the Rambler is called the R1.

7. 6120

6120 Member

I have a rambler with the kingpin and had a choice between the new and old speaker when purchasing however it was an online purchase so I could not live demo them, I took it upon myself to call Carr and ask which one is better and the guy told me that "if they could still get the Kingpin they would be using the kingpin but it is just not available anymore". Now he could have been steering me to buy the older stock but he sounded pretty genuine to me. I have heard both at seperate locations and could not hear a difference. I would say that for my needs the kingpin is perfect in that rambler. Smooth, and just bright enough. Bass response , on the money!

8. Den

Den Member

I think I'm pretty much in the same camp. I called Carr and was given the same explanation and since I really love my Rambler the way it is, I've not popped the $100 to try the Weber. Regarding the "flabby" bass, I think the key is to keep both the mid and bass tone knobs backed down pretty low ... especially with HB's. Using my Tim pedal, I can easily tighten up the bass even more for higher gain stuff (stacked with a Barber Burn Unit).

Maybe I'm just lucky with mine, but there's no flabbiness problem to my ears.

9. soulfixinman

soulfixinman Supporting Member

I have to say that when I first heard my Slant6V with the Kingpin speaker The one thing that sold me then and now was the bass response, the tone was wide and full and with more bass response then I had ever got from any Fender amp.

All the talk about the new speaker had me thinking I was missing something but after reading some of the replys here, I don't think its gonna get much beter than it already is.

I am very happy with what I've got.

10. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

The Kingpins are stayin in my Rambler and Mercury. I'm sure the Weber will sound fine and offer a tighter bass. Either way,the Carr amps are sound very rich to me. I have not even taken them out of the house since they arrived about 5 weeks ago.

Good Tone !

11. A440

A440 Supporting Member

bumping this old thread

I have the orig Kingpin in mine and Winged C power tubes.

thinking of switching in a Cannabis Rex and maybe some diff tubes. maybe some TAD small bottles ??

lately, a little eq'ing with my RC boost addresses the loose bottom end

I love the basic clean tone of this amp, just think it could be better :)

12. Amplite

Amplite Member

I replaced a Kingpin with a Red White and Blues in my Mercury. It sounds great a little more balanced. It's still breaking in. Has anyone else tried this swap?

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

I thought the KP sounded good, but I tried a Weber 12F150A, which is a Jensen replica and I really love it. It is a bit brighter, and tighter in the bass. A great speaker, which I consider an upgrade.

14. trucks

trucks Member

The new Mercury has the RWB. Mine sounds absolutely amazing!

15. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I have tried the Red, White, and Blues in the Mercury, and I think the kingpin has a nicer all around tone. I always search for the holy grail, and have been steered back to the Kingpin. I have put a ceramic Tone Tubby in there and the R,W,B and heritage 12h30 with those speakers it sounded like there was a blanket on the amp. I put the Kingpin back in, and that was it. The Rambler I wonder if a Alnico TT might sound better, but after experimenting with the Mercury I doubt it. Steve is going to be putting the Wizard in the new Ramblers and not using the Weber anymore. This is my .02 for what it is worth.

16. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

That's interesting since the Wizard is voiced for English sounds, not American, and is not ideal for open back cabs. Are you sure about the Wizard?

17. A440

A440 Supporting Member

where did you hear he's switching to Wizards in the Rambler?

he's currently using a modified C12N type from Weber (much like the 12F150B)

18. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

I was talking with him a couple of weeks back discussing speakers and tubes, and he said they were going to be changing to the wizard.

19. jzilla

jzilla Member

i just heard from the local amp shop that he's switching to the red white and blues...

20. evco

evco Member

I've tried a Tonker, Governor, Red Fang (in 1x12 ext cab), G12H30 & Rev. Alltone in my Rambler, the KingPin is still in there. If I were looking for more BF tone the Alltone would have stayed, but it sacrificed some ODpedal friendlyness. I think the KingPin is a bit of a compromise, but it can cover a lot of tonal bases.

The Red Fang was absolutely killer, but it won't fit :( It added some nice high end swirl/sparkle, and is even more pedal friendly than the KingPin. Have been thinking of getting an Alnico Blue Dog to try, looks like it will fit with the bell cover removed.

Anyone tried an Alnico Blue Dog in a Rambler?