Carr Rambler owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Page, May 18, 2005.

1. Page

Page Member

Who uses a Carr Rambler? I'm about to get one (tomorrow) and it would be interesting to read about what others think in particular the Kingpin speaker.

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

Page,

If you do a search, this one has been done fairly recently, but I will jump in, as I have been a Rambler owner for the better part of 3 years.

The Kingpin speaker has been the main point of criticism of this amp, mainly because when you push the amp hard, it tends to lose definitiion in the low end. This is not a lot different than all of the older Fender amps of years past.

The thing is this....The amp takes pedals very well, so there are some folks that would like to throw a distortion pedal at the amp, and have it approximate the tones of a dual channel hot rocking amp. This is NOT in the Rambler's sweet spot of tones. It takes light to medium OD pedals (Blues to Classic Rock) better than any other amp I have had, but it will not hold together on the low end with a heavy distortion pedal (at least not in its current config). So much of this, is simply using the right tool for the job IMO.

All that said, if you change the speaker, you can certainly get the amp to do some more aggressive stuff, but you may end up sacrificing some of the rich, buttery clean tones that the amp is known for. Unfortunately like with any piece of gear, there are compromises, so its best to get the gear that suits your style of play from the beginning.

One other thing, is that the power tubes you use with the Rambler will also affect the bottom end of the amp. I have been using some NOS Sylvania 6L6WGBs that I got from Mike over at KCA, and they do tighten the bottom end a bit, and allow the amp to break up a bit earlier with sweet smokey overdrive tones. If you want maximum headroom, then the NOS Phillips 7581A's will be the ticket for even tone across the spectrum, and huge headroom. I have a lifetime supply of each of these tubes, because IMO, they are the best value in NOS 6L6's today.

Lastly, if you are going to push the amp hard with a pedal, turn the bass control down, and work the mid control up, and just use treble to taste. I use a TIM pedal with the Rambler, which is a match made in heaven, primarily, because the TIM has separate bass and treble controls, allowing you to really tweak the frequencies where you want them, and the TIM is just about the best, and most versatile OD pedal I have ever played.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to put a realistic frame around the topic, based on banging on this amp for a few years. In the end, if you do not like the Kingpin, then swap it out. All in all, the Rambler is one of the very best amps made IMO, and you should be very happy with it.

B

3. Page

Page Member

Blueser,
    This exactly the information I need, many thanks! Many will know me here as a Dr Z user but I just need something more in the Fender camp and from what I recall the Rambler should do it. They're quite rare in the UK so I guess I'm quite lucky to have found a used one. I'm used to hearing a Celestion Vintage 30 so one will probably find its way in the Rambler sooner or later.
    My main concern though is if it will be loud enough to use live. It will eventually replace my Carmen Ghia 2x10 combo which is fine volume-wise but as I also have a Maz 38 snr and a Z28 getting a more Fender-like amp would be a logical move. Let's hope its loud enough.

4. 6789

6789 Member

Blueser,
    thanks for the best, rambler advice I've found! I'm saving up to get one.

5. Mike K

Mike K Silver Supporting Member

I like the TAD small bottle 6L6WGC's in my 2x10 rambler. This amp takes my FDII and my zendrive incredibly well. The stock Kingpin 10" speaker sound fine to me.

6. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yup.... I heard great things about the TAD tubes, but for just $10 more, you can get some NOS goodies, which is why I went that route. The FDII was my fave pedal until I came across the TIM. Also, I would expect a 10" to hold together on the bottom better (there's just less of that frequency available) than the 12"!

7. studio8000

studio8000 Member

i'm a more recent rambler convert. but i must say i'm loving it so much. i loved it so much, i bought two for a stereo rig. one has the kingpin speaker, and the other has a reverend alltone. neither are my #1 choice in speaker, but it's pretty obvious that the kingpin is much flabbier in the bottom end. the alltone is brighter and tighter. even though i dont like the speakers themselves, the ramblers still sound amazing.

i currently have an Eminence cannibis rex, and a Weber California on order. so i'm hoping to like those even more. but even with the current speakers, i'm having a blast on stage. i use my Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive for overdrive and i love it. did i mention i love it?

8. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Exactly what I hear in the Rambler,my self!

Very well said Blueser!

Actually,I just got Myron's Rambler(thanks buddy!)and I am absolutely thrilled.
    Beautiful dreamy cleans and with my Hog in the tweed position I get some perfectly fluid Larry Carlton like lead tones.
    In triode mode the lead tones with the said pedal combination are even more deliciously melodic.
    This is not an amp for headbanging.Why should it be?
    I found myself lost in the swirl of the tremolo and the reverb spaciousness(and I'm not even a reverb guy!)and didn't come up for air but until I saw my wife and daughter standing by the den door giving me a hands up!
    Handy to always keep a bit of your audience around!

Ted

9. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

You are more than welcome bro! :) I am glad that you dig the amp, amazing dreamy cleans for sure! I had the chance hearing you playing it with my Suhr Classic and I can definitely say that the RAMBLER - TED combination is AWESOME!!!! :D You definitely coax the best out of that amp my friend!

So thumbs up for the Rambler, amazing amp, had to go because I am a dirty-EL34-British tone guy and unfortunately I can't afford too many amps, I wish I could keep it! :)

10. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Very well written and accurate(IMHO) description, Blueser. I agree with all your points, including the TIM.

11. Den

Den Member

+1 Great post Blueser! That's my experience with the Rambler as well. I also use a TIM which can tighten up the low end considerably.

BTW, I've found the Barber Burn EQ with the Rambler is amazing ... you can stack it with the TIM for great saturated violin lead tones. Other guitarists have heard that combination and can't believe those tones are coming out of the little Rambler, especially after hearing the amazing cleans.

12. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

I also agree that Blueser's description is excellent and i could not be happier with my Rambler. Great amp for what it does!

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

Thanks for your replies folks. I had to jump in with that post, because many times you read a bunch of stuff about a given amp, guitar, or whatever, and it becomes some type of urban myth.

If you do a search on this topic, you will find that many of the people complaining about the Rambler's low end, and other short comings, are trying to have the amp do something that it was just not intended to do. As a result, the mod game begins, often ending in frustration, because in the end, the Rambler is not a Soldano, Bogner or a Modded Marshall. If you need those tones, and bought the Rambler, then you picked the wrong amp! If your mods got you where you wanted to be, then good on you. You're one of the few!

This is not a shot at anyone, as I have been guilty of this myself, but just my observation on this particular topic. For the record, I may actually try a Weber speaker in my Rambler, but not to get the amp to do british rock tones. I actually want to further enhance the amps natural Fender like tendencies.

14. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Alnico Weber?

Which one?

Ted

15. Blueser

Blueser Member

Ceramic 12F150A. I don't think the Alnico version would fit in the Rambler's cab, and I don't want to really get into custom made cabs at this time.

I really like the tone of the 57 Tweed Twin, which has the Alnico version of this speaker, so I was thinking that this would be a good speaker for the Rambler.

I think the Weber California would be too stiff for the Rambler.

Anyone running a Weber 12F150A in their Rambler?

B

16. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

What a coincidence!
    I got the speaker for my Tamerlane Hodgee Baba amp,as this was the speaker recommended.
    I'm gonna try it in the Carr right away and let you know.
    The results with my Hodgee were excellent,BTW.

Ted

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

Ted,

Haha.....That would be greatly appreciated. Any way you could post some sound clips. I would be interested in how you would compare the low end to the Kingpin.

BTW....What the hell is a Tamerlane Hodgee Baba amp?

Thanks,
    B

18. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Tamerlane is a small boutique builder in Nebraska that builds several amps among which is the Hodgee Baba, a deluxe based model.
    I've got the version 1,6V6 model with 6SL7 input tube and 12DW7 driver,tube rectified,killer PTP,e.t.c
    While not enjoying the fame and reputation of some of the other boutiquers,their product is stellar nonetheless.
    When I first came across their website(www.tamerlaneamps.com)and saw the Hodgee,I just knew by some intuititive way that this was the amp for me.
    The amp exceeded my expectations and Gar,the builder,must have exchanged over 20 e-mails with me during the process,making that happen.Super cool!
    I am a big fan of Deluxes and had a few amps over the years and this one stands above.I've had a Clark that was special and I still have the JRT 9/15 but the Hodgee is something special.
    Anyway,gotta go.I'm having Weber rush!

Ted

19. tuberider

tuberider Supporting Member

Okay there's the proof I needed!I knew you were selling your Midnight Special because you must have had something else in mind and the Rambler was it!Of course isn't that why everyone sells an amp they love?;)

20. tclardy

tclardy Member

At first I was not liking it, it was too stiff and a little harsh. But I have now played it about 30 hours and it is starting to loosen up. I sounds real good now, has a little more clarity to each note, cleaner low end. I don't think it is much louder if at all. Maybe it will be after extended break in who knows.

My main problem with the kingpin is that it farted out on the low end with any humbucker guitar way too fast. I tried turning down bass etc, got tired of barely hitting a note or chord and hearing the low end get flabby.

I heard a guy play last week, he was using an old Deluxe Reverb and it had an old JBL in it, best DR I have ever heard, man it sounded good.

I think Weber made the California to be similar to the JBL's, they sound similar to me. I like the tighter sound myself.