Carr Rambler Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cranknfrank, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Hello all,
    I own quite a few amps but am thinking about a Class A single 12 combo for small and last minute fill-in gigs. I love Fender Deluxe Reverbs (and own several) but desire just a bit more clean headroom. I played a Rambler recently and really enjoyed it. I thought it sounded great, seemed to be very portable and had all the features (except ext. speaker jack) that I need. My concern is.....there seems to be a lot of them changing hands on the board here and on Ebay. What's the story? Why do people go through them so fast? Also, are there any "American" styled amps out there similar to the Carr that would be recommended? Thanks very much.

2. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

TONE KING -- All the way!

Gobs of clean headroom -- the Rambler breaks up around 1:00 - 3:00, depending on your pickups.

3. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

I've never gigged with mine so can't comment on that side. But like everything else, its the hot item of the month, everyone gets one and some find its not what they are after.

SP has a great thread going about picking the right tool for the job. I think alot of the ones for sale were bought without that in mind.

If you dig DR's and want a smaller package, with the added bottom of a 6L6, killer Rev/Trem, this is a great choice.

Good luck and let's hear what you end up with

:cool:

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

This is exactly my sentiment. It takes OD and time based effects pedals like a cheap whore, but if you are looking to put a heavy distortion pedal in front of it, and expect 4x12 chug, then this is not the amp for you.

As you turn it up, you need to take the bass control down, and tweek the mid up, and the bottom end holds together just fine.

IMO, one of the best amps made today!

5. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

the rambler is not class A, actually.
    I had one and it is a well-built nice sounding clean amp, very warm, lots of power in a small package. great reverb. I did not like the sound of overdrive pedals into it at all, so I sold it. I would say if clean and slightly pushed cleans with great reverb is what you need, it is a great choice.

6. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Try the Fargen Blackbird. I like the 40 watt version much better than the 20. The Alessandro Rottweiler may also interest you. I think both would be substantially cheaper than the Carr, too.

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

One of the reasons they change hands is the sheer number of them out there - I think Steve has made over 600 of them at this point. Another reason is simply the fickle nature of the boutique crowd - I've seen Rambler's that sell quickly at their asking price, and then there will be a long thread on how the bass is mushy, the speaker sucks etc. and then you can't move them. Either way, they are great amps - though if blackface deluxe reverb is the tone you're after, the tone king is much closer to that tone and has the addition of better trem and much much better and more flexible reverb, imo of course. To my ears the Rambler always has a bit of tweediness to it.

8. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Supporting Member

Try Tone King, Fagren, and Bruno.

To me the tone king 40 watters are the most versatile(and best sounding, but that is subjective.The Bruno's that I've played didn't sound very good. Any Deluxe reverb I've owned easily sounded better, even the reissue, which doesnt sound that great and is a little anemic.

I had a Rambler and traded it back for another Tone King. The Rambler just had a very spongey, non-Fender response for my style. There was no sparkle or shimmer. I would say it was more of a mix of Brown and Tweed style circuits in the way it performed.

9. clarkram

clarkram Member

another vote for Tone King. I had a Rambler for over 2 years, very nice amp, but the new Meteor Series II can cover alot more tones and gives you versatility to change tube types and easy to use bias adjustment. The Tk is also more powerful at 40 watts with (4) 6V6s.

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tone King, Fargen, Bruno, Allen are other good choices for great Fender BF sounds.

I've played two Ramblers, one that I owned for a while, and Blueser's. The amount of clean headroom varied CONSIDERABLY between these two amps......mine stayed clean for a very long while, and Blueser's broke up considerably earlier. The difference, I believe, was in the choice of power tubes......mine had #7 Groove Tubes 6L6GE's in it, Bluser's had NOS 6L6WGB's in it (if I'm not mistaken......correct me if I'm wrong, Dave, this was at the NYC ToneFest).

Anyway, my point is, you can get more or less clean headroom from the Rambler, depending on what type of power tubes are used (and surely, what type of preamp tubes are used, too....). The amount of clean headroom in my amp was actually quite huge.......plenty enough for a medium volume guitar/bass/keys/drums blues band.

11. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

Frank,

I think the amp is well suited to the style your after. It has more head room than any deluxe i've played or the DRRI I owned. It certainly is portable and well built. I had a Rambler for about six months and ended up selling it because I was able to buy two other amps and some pedals for the same price. I do miss the amp and plan on buying another when fundage permits.

I do agree it has a warm blackface tone with a bit of tweed softness thrown in (if that makes sense).

The boutique crowd does seem to go hot and cold on these. Don't be concerned about that if you like what you hear. Also, they hold their value (assuming you buy a used one), and you'll be able to get out of it with little hurt.

Good luck,
    UJ

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Good posting.

There are wonderful {dare I say quintessential} blues amps that, like any great amp, have a specific personality. The only similarity to a Deluxe Reverb is the fantastic portable size but other than that I think it's got it's on voice that dances around blackface pro-reverb and Fender tweed. I hear those two attributes as very musical and believe it's one of the best amps {amongst many} on the market.

The Ramblers do not have a pristine three-dimensional clean sound like the best 6v6’s tube amplifiers. but it has its own charming thang.

13. ccteleman

ccteleman Member

I think you nailed it. Not as " pristine" clean as my DR, but for my use that is a good thing.

14. miltwill

miltwill Member

Fargen, Fargen, Fargen.....

You really ought to check out the Blackbird. Does the BFDR thing, takes pedals well, and super portable.

15. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Everyone,
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated. That's just what I needed. Take care!