Carr Rambler Smooth Clean

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Rick0, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Rick0

Rick0 Member

2. Dana

Dana Guest

Nice. I have a Rambler too, and love it.

Is yours a 1 x 12"? Kingpin or Weber speaker?

3. Smokin Tone

Smokin Tone Member

Sounds good. Nice playing too.

4. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

nice playing man
    very cool tones too
    looks like you like a little compression by lookin' at your board :)

HJ

5. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

wow...great sound. i am stuck choosing between a Rambler and a Mercury for home playing. Will the mercury sound as good as that?

great playing too!
    monte

6. Rick0

Rick0 Member

Dana, I have the stock 1 X 12 Kingpin in mine. I've changed the power tubes to NOS Phillips 6L6WGB's, (I've tried Sylvania STR's, 7581A's etc. and think the 6L6WGB's actually sound a little better). I like the fact that I don't have to bias the amp every time I change power tubes, (cathode bias). I can't remember about the preamp tubes, (probably NOS GE JAN 12AX7WA's and Telefunken ECC 83's). I really feel that the Rambler is a wonderful amp, (like an old Fender done right).

monte, The Mercury is also a very cool amp. The Rambler does great cleans, but won't break up nearly as much as the Mercury. The Mercury can have a fair amount of gain if you want it. It is not as loud as the Rambler, (Great for recording and around the house, but probably not enought to gig with). It's an 8 Watter that you you can scale back to 1/10 of a watt. The Rambler is 28 watts pentode/14 watts triode mode which is great for playing at home and it's loud enough to gig with. It also takes pedals great, (Zendrive, Pete Cornish SS3, BB, Klon, etc.). For me, I would have to go with the Rambler. I think that it has better clean tones, but you really should try them both to see which one works better for you. By the way, the Slant 6V has beautiful shimmering cleans.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Sorry that the clip is so short.

7. Rick0

Rick0 Member

HarryJ, I guess it does look like I dig compression a little, (A little too much maybe). I may have a bit of a problem when it comes to that kind of stuff. I hate to admit it, but I also have an old 70's script logo MXR Dyna Comp and even a Marshall Edward compressor. :eek: Actually I don't use them very much any more. I had to wean myself off, (The Rambler helped me with that). I probably need to update my pedal board pic.