Carr Rambler sounding a bit thin

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tcaron, Apr 25, 2016.

1. tcaron

tcaron Member

Hello Rambler users and owners,

Was recently at a GC playing a Fenber DRRI and really liking it. As a Carr Rambler owner I don't think that I should be feeling this way!?

My Ramber is sounding a bit thin and flubby on the bottom end.
    Would like to get closer to the blackface sound.

Current config:
    SED Winged C power tubes.
    EH 12ax7s with EH 12at7 for reverb
    Elsinore speaker.

My thought is to put a GE Jan into V1 and maybe try some TAD 6L6s?

Thoughts?

2. zenas

zenas Member

I'd roll a good preamp tube through it. Sometimes a preamp tube gets wierd and thin things out. And it's easy to do.
    But flubby bass might be as easy as the bias is off too. So check that too.

3. voodoochili12

voodoochili12 Supporting Member

I had a Rambler that was great for certain applications, but it didn't have the 'big iron' feel that I like about Deluxe and Super Reverbs, even though the DR share a lot of DNA with the Rambler, as I understand (could be wrong).

I wouldn't describe mine as 'thin', but definitely saggy and squishy after 1 o'clock. I like 'fast' amps, so I let it go. Were I more attached to it, I would replaced the Kingpin with a Vintage 30 in there to see if that helped. Good luck!

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

These amps don't need to be biased.

5. zenas

zenas Member

They're cathode biased? Then just stuff some good power tubes in and try it.

6. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

I had a similar issue when I had mine, it had the old speaker, the kingpin. Tubes helpd some, there is a mod Carr has on the books where they can clip the sag resistor that simulates a tube rectifier, that helped a bit, but the amp always sounded a bit small when I had it. I've not tried the new speaker though, I hear it's much better and bigger sounding.
    Kurt

7. tcaron

tcaron Member

Interesting that clipping the sag made a difference. Do they walk you through it or does Carr perform the clip?

8. mannish

mannish Member

I got rid of a DRRI and got a Rambler - wouldn't even consider going back. I have zero complaints.

9. tcaron

tcaron Member

So I just put in the new Elsinore and ordered a GE 12ay7, GE 5751 square getter, 3 micr, a GE JAN 5751 and a pair of new TADs. Hope this works. I want to be happy with this amp again!

10. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

that's a good way to put it...and i tried three different speakers! all i knew was on the carr i couldnt get that big/round warmth around the notes...my old fenders are definitely more my taste.

11. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Carr described the mod and I had a local tech do it, I bet if you sent it to them they'd clip the resistor, it was a big block resistor, I can't remember which one, this was a few years back, subtle change, but I liked it,
    Kurt

12. tcaron

tcaron Member

I got all of the tubes that I listed above and began my quest for a darker tone.
    The ay7 reduced the gain too much and I ended up with a Brimar 12ax7 in V1. The Bugle Boy that I use in V2 sounded nice in the V1 slot also but the Brimar is there for now. I read on these threads that V3 offers some tone options so I put an old Mulard 12ax7 in there. This along with being brave enough to bring the Middle knob below 9 and I think I am there.

I stripped one of the 4 speaker screws when installing the Elsinore and just left it loose. Took the amp apart, fixed the problem and the tone darkened up more. It appears that unless the speaker makes full contact with the cabinet that you will not get the full cabinet interaction. Yah I know, common knowledge.

In the end this was well worth the cost and effort. Still interested in the bright cap snip and will email Carr for info.

Thanks!

Tom

Shiro likes this.
  13. tcaron

tcaron Member

So I started playing around with my Goodsell Super 17 MK 2, which I never really bonded with until now. Put a Weber Blue Dog in it, some Mullard NOS 6BQ5 power tubes and an EH 12ax7 in the v1. Still sounded a bit thin.
    After getting my Carr Rambler to where I like it with a Brimar 12ax7 in the v1 I tried it in the Goodsell.

It now sounds amazing. The Brimar is the sound that I have been looking for and I love it. Deep, throaty while allowing the highs to shine. No more ice picks!

Happy I went through the exercise!

Give a Brimar a try! Worth the $40 to $50.

Tom C

14. tcaron

tcaron Member

Gigged the new setup this weekend and noticed a very profound flubby bass. Almost a honking with the new Elsinore when really bearing down on the low E. I hope there isn't something else going on. Been a while since I had the Kingman in it, will give a try again. Thought I had the sound nailed but not yet it appears.

15. Arc

Arc Member

A bump on this - I liked the EXH and Winged C pre/power tube and GE 12at7 reverb tube combo my 2009 Rambler came with but something was microphonic because they were older.

I put in Preferred Series 6l6gc from tubestore and put Genalex Gold Lion ECC83's in the 12ax7 positions and a NOS Mullard 12at7 cv4024 in the 12at7 position. It sounded great but the break up was too soon for my taste and a little muddy, so I swapped the V1 Genalex out for the GE 12at7 and the amp has sounded incredible.

Possibly the best sounding and feeling amp I've played - and I have a Two Rock, 4 Fenders, and a Victoria. The clean tones were sweet, lush, and full and stomping an Analogman KoT or KLON over the top of it made it sing. Waiting on delivery of Celestion Gold to replace the Wizard and see what that does.

16. rom661

rom661 Member

I bought another Rambler recently. This one has a Kingpin. I think I'd like to try the Elsinore. I should really try some of the 12" drivers I have, G12H30, Vintage 30 which I can't imagine being a good match, Celestion Creamback, old style Greenback and a Weber 12F150. One note (sorry) is that I found the SED tubes to have less control on the bottom. I love the feel of this amp but being Class A, cathode biased, and having a floating baffle don't make for tight bass. The Preferred Series were better, I really like the TAD 6L6WGC's they ship with now, and I have one last pair of RCA black plates that are lovely. I'm torn between an old Tungsol and a Telefunken in V1 although a JAN-GE 12AT7 is nice, too. They do need to be well matched to minimize the tendency to hum in triode mode. My first one had the Wizard and I do prefer the Kingpin although it is a bit thick sounding. I recently picked up a Skylark which is totally different and great fun. It has the Celestion American style in it. Nice.

17. tcaron

tcaron Member

Back again from starting this thread a while back. Will never get ride of my Rambler but after speaker swaps, power tubes, etc. I am back to the Kingpin and experimenting with the V1 position. I just cannot seem to get it to where it was when I got it, fat and happy like me!

It looks like there are a ot of posts with complaints about the amp being too bright. Many seem to have settled on the Austin Speaker Works KTS70 for over $200.00 to solve the issue. Any KTS70 Rambler users here? How about a WGS ET-65?

PS - Have tried the Wizard, Kingpin, Elsinore, Lil Texas. None have given me the mids and bottom end that I am looking for.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  18. tcaron

tcaron Member

Just as I as ready to buy an Austin Speaker Works KTS70 for my Rambler I read a few reports on the cheap WGS G12C/S speaker for $79.00. Decided to give it a try and ordered one. The A/B YouTubes clearly show it to be darker and rounder sounding then the bunch that I have tried in the Rambler.
    We shall see.

Tom

19. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Does this amp have overly large coupling caps like Fenders? If so, that could be your issue. Reducing the coupling caps to get rid of useless deep lows should allow you to turn the bass control up and fatten the sound.

20. tcaron

tcaron Member

There is a bright cap of that I am tracking down. I think it is just involves clipping the cap on the volume pot. Checking with Carr.