Carr Rambler speaker swap

tcaron

i know, there is a lot of discussion on this but as a long time Rambler owner I need a change, to the speaker that is.

Started with a Kingman, then to a Wizard and currently use a Neo lil Texas. The Kingman was flubby, Kingman was just dull and uninspiring with no definition and the lil Texas, like many have said gives up some of the lows and shrill on the highs. My Zenkudo breaks the Lil Texas up.

So, most folks seem to be happy with the stock speaker, the Elsinore Appears to be about $100 shipped from Steve Carr. I like what I have read about the ASW KT70 but at $239.00 is just a bit too much.

Any recent thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Tom C

zzzzzzz

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Vincent and did some speaker swapping.. By far my favorite was the ASW Crossroads which is a medium size magnet with the KTS-70 cone and it was amazing. So much more depth and complexity and sweetness than the wizard, or celestion century vintage, or v30, or WGS invader or et65.

I'd say be patient and snag a used ASW (any model). I've had the 60,70, and crossroads and they are all top.

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
a lot of guys swear the elsinore saved that amp in their eyes...i thought the elsinore was too sweet though. i couldnt gig one, but it did sound nice at the house. the wizard was the other end of the spectrum...too stout and tough!

if you're dead set on the rambler, i hope you settle on the right speaker w/o too much $$$ thrown at it.

btw, are you any kin to paul "rocky" caron? drummer i toured with for years...born in boston but raised in san jose...

tcaron

Hi Rusty,

I do not know Rocky Caron but if I dug deep enough I probably am. Chances are his family came down from Canada many years ago.
I may try the Elsinore but I keep hearing a lot about the ASW speakers.

Thanks!

Tom C

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Try the reissue of the All-Tone 1250. It can get a little 'zingy' at higher volumes, but at just over $100, its worth a try! The Celestion A-type is very nice too.

duaneallen

Silver Supporting Member
The Elsinore is all you need. There's a reason why most recommend it. Mine's an older one, and came with the Kingpin. Kingpin wasn't that great IMO. Put in the Elsinore and the amp is an all time classic now.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Not much to add, longtime owner and no complaints with the lil tx speaker. To me, efficient and great cleans. Lots of headroom.

What genres are you playing?

tcaron

I play mostly light jazz and praise music. I like a full tone, Larry Carlton like.

The lil Texas was amazing for its weight but a bit fizzy with high notes especially when using an overdrive pedal.

Tom

kwicked

Gold Supporting Member
Ran mine through some different speakers and cabs when i had it and it sounded great through all of them. Nothing sounded better than the on board Elsinore though, its a great match for that amp. The one i never got to try it with was the A-type, which seems like a great match as well.

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool! What's interesting is my impression was much different and felt it really reduced the fizzy highs in comparison to the wizard. Made the whole amp even more pedal friendly. The speaker may need to break in some more.

Mine also originally had the kingpin. The C-Rex took it too far into the dark direction. Great for dirty or lead tones with pedals but took away the chimey cleans that the amp does so well and also reduced perceived volume at stage levels.

I never tried the Elsinore...

I play mostly light jazz and praise music. I like a full tone, Larry Carlton like.

The lil Texas was amazing for its weight but a bit fizzy with high notes especially when using an overdrive pedal.

Tom

Puckbucker

tcaron: I have a Rambler. Swapped out the Wizard for the Elsinore - big improvement IMO. Made the Rambler sound more sweet and class fender like.
If you want a more bold and dynamic kind of tone the Elsinore might be a bit off but I doubt you'd dislike it.
I have a Celestion A Type in a Mesa Cab that I use with a Mesa Express Plus (mainly on clean mode) and that seems pretty good as well.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I've had a WGS G12Cs in my Rambler for almost a year now - loving how it reacts with the amp - great smooth tip end and nice and tight low's - delivers a nice 3D kind of tone. Great tone for a relatively decent price.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
I've had a WGS G12Cs in my Rambler for almost a year now - loving how it reacts with the amp - great smooth tip end and nice and tight low's - delivers a nice 3D kind of tone. Great tone for a relatively decent price.
How does it do with overdrive?
Anyone else try an All-Tone 1250?

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
How does it do with overdrive?
Anyone else try an All-Tone 1250?
I use a VFE Blues King for low/med OD, a Rockett Blue Note for med OD (Allman's type) and a Catalinbred SFT for Stonesy type Ampeg OD and a Jetter Red Shift or Timmy for more Marshall-type OD. It takes to all of those boxes like a duck to water - and will stay focused at volume, no bad things on low or top end, just a warm, smooth, faithful reproduction of the kind of tone your dialing in. Loud and proud if you want it and all American F-type voiced tone. I have no All-Tone 1250 experience. The All-Tone always was and still is positioned as having a blend of American and British voicing going on. I did have an All-Tone 4X10 cab that I never should have sold though.

bettset

i knew a guy 10 yrs ago that put the rambler in a larger 1x12 cabinet and switched to a tone tubby red. it really sounded good.......bigger :munch

tcaron

I just spent the night tube swapping out some 5881s, JJs and Grove tube power tubes. No real difference to my ears.

Decided to take the Bugle Boy 12at7 out of the reverb and put it into V1. I think I found the tone I was looking for.

Watched Steve Car's YouTube on tube swapping and took his advice to try the lesser gain 12at7 in the input slot.

I like it.

Now I am on yet another mission. Find the most musical 12at7 available. Maybe its the Bugle Boy?

Will try a NO GE 12at7 greg plate and see what happens? They are cheaper than the ax7s. May still order some TAD power tubes to tame the mids.

I love my Rambler but it has always been a bit bright on top and a little too brittle with OD pedals.
The 12at7 may be the ticket!?

I have owned my Rambler for a long time and have accumulated the tubes, speakers, etc over a long time trying to get the sound that I want, which is smooth, rich and deep. I know the Rambler can do it, I just need to get the right mix of components.

Tom

northfortyrecords

Silver Supporting Member
Best all arounder 12 I've tried with the Rambler is, not surprisingly, the Elsinore, but I'll admit that it still has some of that Eminence OEM Speaker sound that I describe as very detailed in the mids, but not always the clearest of highs or the nicest lows. It's a speaker that I think can handle any situation, including overdrive.

I tried a Jupiter 12LC, but it was a tad too bright and strident.

I've never tried the Celestion A-Type - lotsa folks are digging it with Carr amps. A speaker I tried recently with the Rambler was the Celestion G12-H30. Surprisingly good.

Ultimately, I play the Rambler for cleans, so I'm a big fan of the Weber California 12 paper dome. Big sound outta that little amp.

My Rambler is the lesser seen 2x10 tho, so that's another story altogether.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
The Elsinore is all you need. There's a reason why most recommend it. Mine's an older one, and came with the Kingpin. Kingpin wasn't that great IMO. Put in the Elsinore and the amp is an all time classic now.
Bang on. Elsinore full stop.

Also, run the Rambler in triode...

Trending Topics