Carr Rambler Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hunter6726, May 31, 2008.

1. hunter6726

hunter6726 Member

Has anyone tried a vintage 30 in a Carr Rambler? I want something to fatten up the low end for tele picking. Any other recomendations? It has a kingpin now.

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

If you want a fat tight low end with a sweet top end, go for a Tone Tubby Ceramic. I am running them with my Carr Imperial (double Rambler), and they are just incredible!

3. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I haven't tried a vintage 30 in a carr rambler but I used to have one in a laney lc50 and it actually made the amp much less bassy and extended the highs IMO.

I have a emi cannabis rex that gets great bass response and a decent high end though.

4. hunter6726

hunter6726 Member

5. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I had a 50 watt Weber Blue Dog in mine until it developed a rattle and had to be sent off for a recone. The Weber was bright and super articulate with plenty of low end but the lo-end was kinda' woofy. So I popped in a Tone Tubby Alnico (had to remove the bell cover) and wow what a nice change. Not as bright, which is a good thing, and the bass tightened up a lot! I'm a few gigs into it now and I think I'll keep the Tone Tubby in the Rambler. Nice match.

6. hardys

hardys Member

If you want the Celestion tone, a G12H-30 will give you more low end than a Vintage 30. For all around music, I like the G12H. It will give you some crunch & breakup at higher volume. If you want bigger low end with a more American type sound, try an Emi Swamp Thang. Huge low end, very clean and cheap! There's always EVs too.

7. hardys

hardys Member

:agree...the rex does get some good low end.

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The Eminence Wizard that Carr now uses offers a great improvement in low end response over the the Kingpin 60 in the Rambler IMO. I've owned the amp with both speakers and I greatly prefer the Rambler with the Wizard in every regard.

9. hardys

hardys Member

The Wizard is a good speaker, but is really a G12H wanna be. I've used both the Wizard & G12H extensively and to my ears, the G12H is the better of the two. It's richer & more complex, with a bit more chime (but not too bright) in the top end. The Wizard is more strident & one dimensional. I wanted to like the Wizard more for it's increased power handling, efficiency & lower cost, but the G12H just sounded better.

10. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Wizard in mine right now, and am enjoying the tighter bass response. Mine was slightly used, but is sounding nicer the more it breaks in. At first, I thought it was way too bright.

Mine had the Kingpin and I also tried a C-Rex in there for a while. The C-Rex was really nice for leadwork, but I was missing the 3D chimey open sounds when playing rhythm. It was very bassy, but didn't tighten up the low end enough for me.

I would think an H30 would work nicely in there. I'm not a fan of the V30 for this amp application.

I wonder how a RWB or a 12-65 would sound in there? I was also toying with trying a Jensen Neo in there, but sticking with the Wiz for now.

11. Dion

Dion Supporting Member

Mine had a C-Rex in it and after switching to the Wizard I'd have to agree it seemed to be more open sounding. Although my Wizard is brand new and is a bit too bright still. Hoping it will soften up soon.

12. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I forgot that the rambler has a Wizard.

I own both a wizard and a cannabis rex currently.

Side by Side through any of my 3 amps (reverend goblin, laney lc50 and omega HRDX)

The crex has more low end and lower mids with more rounded highs for sure.

the wizard is bright with less bass and more upper mids/ treble detail.

13. tcaron

tcaron Member

I bought mine with the Kingpin 12" found it a little muddy. Tried a Weber Blue Dog 12P or something found it to be mid rangey.

Now using a Wizard and like the defined sound but you guys may make me spend even more money to try a Tone Tubby. Alnico or ceramic differences?

Did I mention I love this amp?

[​IMG]

That's my basement pub in the background. I gig with a PRS McCarty and Guild Bluebird but I love teh sound of this Daneledtro through this amp!

Cheers!

14. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I've been quite happy with the Kingpin in my Rambler, but have been curious what a Gold would sound like. Anyone tried it?

15. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Can anyone compare the kingpin and wizard once broken in? I'd be interested in a bit mighter low end too, but you guys' comments about the wizzard being brighter kind of detour me. I'd say the kingpin is about as bright as I'd like to go.
    Thanks in advance,
    Kurt

16. Fireball XL5

IMO, the Wizard does not sound too bright in the Rambler. The Wizard offers a lot of clarity and detail - which I think many players construe as increased brightness - but it is by no means harsh or brash sounding to my ears, and I find I typically run my Treble control on the amp anywhere between 12:00-3:00 in most situations. In fact, I prefer this increased clarity as I find it does a better job of bringing out the 3D blackface clean beauty of the amp at lower levels while still sounding fantastic when pushed.

With the Wizard the Rambler has a tighter and more controlled bass response - especially noticable when pushing the amp hard at higher levels and/or with humbuckers. That was always an Achilles Heel for me when I owned the Rambler with the Kingpin - it would get a bit too mushy and uncontrolled in the low end for my tastes when pushed hard. Now with the Wizard, I can plug in my Les Paul > crank the amp > and drive the front end with a boost (Klon) or my Fulldrive II - and pull off a VERY satisfying old school Marshall-esque rock tone that I never could find in the Rambler with the Kingpin. The low end still has some sag and compression to where the amp still retains that great feel - but now holds together and stays tighter than with the Kingpin.

I have to respectfully disagree with the statements made earlier about the Wizard being a Celestion wanna be and sounding too strident and one dimensional. I honestly don't hear that. I use, own and love many Celestion speakers including Blues, Greenbacks, G12H30's with many of my other amps and while I feel the Wizard does share some of the qualities of the Celestion, I hear the Wizard as a very different speaker in a lot of ways. For me, the Wizard just "works" in the Rambler and I have absolutely no desire to change it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  17. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Thank you so much for that, I will try and hunt down one with a wizard to compare. It sounds like it may be worth a try. I don't think the wiz's are that much either, so it may be a good experiment. Also, does anyone have any opinions on the best power tubes to use with the rambler? I'm wondering if there are a pair out there that'll get me a bit more headroom than my wing SE tubes. Thanks so much,

18. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I've used TAD 6L6 small bottles, NOS GE 6L6GC's, and NOS Phillips 7581A's. The Phillips are in it now for the bit more power, punch and headroom they offer. The NOS GE's were the most 3D and had the best detail and break-up characteristics. The TAD's were good, ver good actually, but just not ass good as the others.

19. Fireball XL5

I'm currently running the SED Winged =C= 6L6GC's in the power section and Tung Sol RI 12AX7's in the preamp and I've been EXTREMELY happy with their tone and performance in my Rambler. Sounds great both clean and distorted - and PLENTY of headroom. Even with humbuckers my Rambler stays pretty clean until about 2:00 on the Volume control when the amp is in the 28 watt pentode mode. Couple that with the super efficient Wizard speaker (103 db.) - and that's a pretty loud clean tone for a moderately powered cathode biased 28 watt amp. If I need more clean headroom I just hit the front end with a bit of clean boost from my Klon (Gain Control dialed completely counterclockwise- off) and even then it stays fairly clean and hardly distorts. Just sounds louder and bigger.

Just my 2 cents, but I think you'd be better served addressing any headroom issues you are having with a speaker change over trying different tube brands. FWIW, I noticed a significant improvement in both headroom and perceived loudness of the Rambler with the Wizard compared to the Kingpin 60.

20. Tweak

Tweak Supporting Member

I have tried the Gold: incredible!!! I was hoping, though, since my Gold wound up in my Bogner, to try an American speaker with an open, chimey detail, to go with the American Rambler, sooooooo......???? What will I try? Anyone tried the Sugarcones?