1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Carr Rambler too bright...what's a good production amp alternative?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Paul Conway, May 15, 2011.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Title line says it all. Carr Rambler....great with humbuckers, but with a strat it's got way too much high-end....

...so: I need something with a similar amount of clean headroom, that takes pedals well, and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Any ideas?

2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

try using a Cannabis Rex speaker with it

3. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

What effect will that have, would you say?

4. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

Really? I think my Rambler is just perfect, for Strats, Tele's, LP, etc.

I'd suggest an eq pedal perhaps? For me it's easier to tone down a bright amp than the other way. I guess I would try a few things before getting rid of the amp.

5. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

what speaker are you currently using in that Rambler?

6. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

The Rambler I bought had a C-Rex in it. I've tried other speakers with it as well. I can see the effect that the C-Rex has on the tone. It still retains the tone of the Rambler yet softens the high end.

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Emi Wizard in mine. In pentode mode, I have the treble at the lowest setting, and the mids no higher than 10 o'clock. My strat is pretty toppy, and there is no way to dial that out at the amp..

...however, I do want to retain a tight low end....and get that 'hear the string windings' tone rather than total smoothness...

8. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

I have a Webber Ferromax in mine. Love it, sounds pissah! (which means really good here in New England.)

9. unvs

unvs Member

Is it bright on the bridge only, or on the neck as well?

10. balde

balde Member

Wizard is a very top heavy speaker. Don´t own a rambler, but compared the wizard and cannabis rex extensively.... cannabis might be a good call. Will round out some highs, but mantain clarity. It has very nice bass response, and it´s warm, and clear

11. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I love the amp with both my strats and I certainly don't like overly bright or stiff amps. Clear warm and deep is exactly what I get from my Strats and Rambler (it's got an original kingpin)

The biggest improvement i got from the Rambler is when i changed the preamp tubes to Tungsol and the tone of the amp really filled out. It was not subtle

Keep in mind though the Rambler is a BF voiced amp and while i think it is less mid scooped than say a DR or Twin it ain't gonna have as much mids as a more marshally voiced amp.

12. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Anything from Dr Z should do well.

13. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

The Wizard can sound very brite with an amp like that. Change the speaker....roughly $100 for new (ceramic magnet) speaker...way cheaper than a new amp!

IMHO How a rig sounds has to do with many factors: guitar wood, pickups, amplifier circuit..and speaker, etc. The speaker has a huge impact on the sound of an amp.

14. picnic

picnic Member

I had a Rambler for about a year and then got a Fargen Blackbird 40 watter. Teh Rambler lost in a shootout when I decided to keep only one. The BB to my ears was a better sounding amp. Richer, sweeter, fuller. I had Wizards in both

15. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

I too am the polar opposite in this regard because the overall tone of the Rambler with a Strat was the single biggest reason that I purchased it. In fact, I rarely use it with an LP or with humbuckers.

However, I'll agree with others here who have already noted that the Rambler can indeed be overly bright when loaded with the ultra-sensitive Eminence Wizard (sensitivity = 103), and the very same thing was true of the Eminence 'Special Design' speakers used in DRRI's. Way-way too bright IMO!

I'm using a Scumback H55/65w with my Rambler for the most part (sensitivity = 98) and it tames the highs down quite a bit.

16. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Scumback H-55 65 watt speaker in my Carr Rambler. Sounds incredible!

17. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

I found the opposite to be true. While I liked the Fargen to me the BB sounded thicker softer with less dimension and sparkle.

18. teXum

teXum Member

In this case, I'd definitively try out another speaker before dumping the Rambler. The upper mids of speakers like the Wizard and the G12H IMO can sound very spikey and even somewhat harsh to some ears (yes, even when the speaker is broken in).

Its one kind of "bright" but IMO there are other "kinds of bright" that sounds much better in a Fender-style amp.

19. balde

balde Member

Celestion heritage g12-65, and eminence cannabis rex are great speakers to tame brightness, in fendery circuits, without killing clarity. They have a very nice warmness to them, and they react very good to overdrive (pedals or amp itself)

20. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

agree on trying a different speaker. I had a Wizard in mine for a spell, and agree that it's a bright speaker. to me, fatiguing in this application.

There's also a bright cap mod that you can do to reduce highs in the amp. I didn't go that route. Swapping in a different speaker did it for me.

IMO, the C-Rex took it too much in the other direction for me. A little too dark. Loved it for dirty tones, but missed the sparkle of the cleans I had. ymmv

My search ended at the Emi Lil' Texas. Perfect fit for what I was looking for.

The folks at Carr also suggested setting the mid knob lower, as it interacts with the treble.
    If the mids are below 10 o'clock, then the treble has far more range.

obvious, but running the amp in low power mode (triode), also darkens up the overall tone.

Last edited: May 18, 2011