Carr rambler value question

Tele81

There is a Carr Rambler I've taken interest in that is a bit older. It is a 99' model labeled #14 and was a custom build for someone. It was made with vintage pine and is finished in purple. My question is this being an earlier model does it make it any or or less desirable than any other Rambler? Does the color factor in? Or do I just go along with typical online resale prices? Thanks!

BallaBalla

Do you see the amp as an investment or do you want to play it?
I guess Steve Carr did built the early ones all by himself and the cabinet was done outside the shop. Don't know this exactly. The tolexing was better on the later ones, imo. The kinpin speaker is probably in there. Nowadays there's a elsinore (eminence). I bet it's a wonderful amp with a special story. maybe Steve can tell you something about this amp...

kwicked

For resale, i think you are always better off staying as close to standard as you can. I think that matters more than early/later as the rambler hasn't changed much other than the speaker. Early vs later does matter where significant changes have taken place and is, of course, very brand and model dependent. Custom colors are fun, but reduce the market size when looking to move it. Doesn't necessarily make it worth less, but may take a lot longer to find the right buyer (or may be exactly what someone is looking for and sell instantly at a premium ;)) I would be looking for a minor discount to the standard model of similar vintage and condition if i were buying with an eye on value and resale, but if you have always wanted a purple rambler, just grab it and enjoy, you probably won't get a chance at another!

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
For what it's worth I believe the early Rambler cabs were made in Mather's shop

TCMx3

Do you see the amp as an investment or do you want to play it?
I guess Steve Carr did built the early ones all by himself and the cabinet was done outside the shop. Don't know this exactly. The tolexing was better on the later ones, imo. The kinpin speaker is probably in there. Nowadays there's a elsinore (eminence). I bet it's a wonderful amp with a special story. maybe Steve can tell you something about this amp...

It's possible to do both.

Also it's wise to look to into what something's market value is. All else being equal you buy the one with the best price to condition ratio, right?

Anyway +1 on value being pretty much the same as any other Rambler, also +1 on it being a great amp.

Irrespective of which of the two stock speakers came in it, I highly suggest going to something a bit different. I have a Scumback BH75 in mine.

warren3333

Silver Supporting Member
Ive owned two Ramblers, both blondes...

I bought my current one new, and it has the Elsinore speaker in it, which makes a HUGE difference to sound and feel imho.

The Rambler is a superb amp. Stunning.

But if the price is right, and you have played and like it, buy that one mate.

Also know that Steve and his team offer superb support to ALL Carr owners; and I speak out of experience... contact him regarding #14...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom