Carr Rambler vs Allen Encore?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhollyday, Oct 11, 2006.

1. rhollyday

rhollyday Silver Supporting Member

Folks:

Could someone provide a comparison of the sound, clean and overdriven of these 2 amps?

I have owned a Rambler in the past and while I thought it was a nice amp it did not offer quite enough breakup for me.

S I am looking for a small combo in the style of a BF Deluxe reverb amp(20-30 watts) preferably with Tremelo that would provide a slighly easier path to breakup.......

Any thoughts ???????
    :RoCkIn

2. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

But a BF Deluxe Reverb has even less break up than the Rambler (in triode mode)! I have a Kingsley deluxe 30 which has pentode and triode switching, along with a half power switch giving 7/15/30 wat operation. Has a great reverb and tremolo. The problem is that this is an EL84 equipped amp and typical of the 60's vox sound, so not what you are looking for. Maybe one of the newer Fenders with pre-amp gain would better suit.

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

One word... Klon. :BEER

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned both a Rambler and an Allen Accomplice. The Allen can be dialed in for an overdriven sound more easily because it has a master volume and it has a control which adds more gain, the 'Raw' control........it bypasses the tone stack as it is turned up which has the effect of adding more midrange and gain.

6. rhollyday

Interesting. How do the clean sounds from the allen compare to the Rambler?

7. rhollyday

The Kingsley sounds like a great amp. I have never really played a Vox inspired amp, except for a Top Hat Club Royal, which I was very impressed with.

8. riffmeister

Very flexible EQ on the Allen Accomplice, so it can be dialed in to sound very similar to the Rambler, esp when using 6L6 power tubes (which is how I run mine).

9. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Well, if you were impressed with the Top Hat the Kingsley might really be what you are looking for.

http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/

The Deluxe 30 has two seperate channels, but it is not a channel switching amp. One channel is a straight up non master volume affair (aka traditional 60's design) whilst the other channel adds a second gain stage in the pre amp section with a second volume to control this stage. Apart from the additional gain stage, the signal travels through the same circuit regardless of the channel chosen. As mention before, the power choices are great as you can hit the sweet spot of the amps power section no matter what size of venue you are playing at. Also, the tone stack is bypasseable for a more mid focused sound.

Quite simply, this is the best sounding (and most versatile amp) I own - the other amps are a Carr Rambler, Victoria Low Powered Twin and a Badcat Cub II - so it's not as if the others are budget amps. These are genuinely hand made amps made by one person, Simon Jarret, so there is a wait. However, buying direct means they are a relative bargain to the nearest competitiors (Matchless/Badcat) as there is no dealer mark up.

10. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've got an Accomplice and a Ramber. For pure cleans I prefer the Rambler. I'm not good at articulating why. Just sounds richer and more complex to me. As mentioned the Allen is probably more versatile though.

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I would think the Allen amp closest in comparison to the Rambler would be his (and I totally HATE this name; one of the reasons I did not get one) "Hot Fudge w/Nuts". It seems like it is basically a Deluxe running either 6V6's or 6L6's with a single 12". I might have bought
    one if there was one available to me to try, plus I did not want to buy a new one (couldn't find one used). Then there's that name. I bought a Rambler.
    ________
    volcano digital vaporizer

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. riffmeister

The HFWN has vol/tone/speed/intensity. The Rambler has vol/treb/mid/bass/reverb/speed/intensity. I think the preamp tone stacks on the two amps are are quite different, and the HFWN doesn't have reverb.

13. rhollyday

Recently, I have had a case of Rambler Buyer remorse, as I sold my black 1 x 12 2004 Rambler ealier this year, and I picked up a Victoria Soul cactus. Nice amp, but I am not sure it is up to snuff against the Rambler.

I have thought of buying another Rambler, but wanted some feedback on other similar amps. The other ones I am interested in hearing are: the Victoria Regal with the (2) power tube option and the Bruno Cowtipper 22.

14. riffmeister

Have you tried a Tone King Meteor II 1x12? I recently got one and for warm, chimy BF Fender sounds it's the best I've had yet. The Rambler I had was nice, but the Tone King is extraordinary, for my needs.

15. photoguy

photoguy Member

Did the exact same thing only mine was blonde. I'm still not convinced that it was a smart move.

16. rhollyday

I have not tryed the Tone King, but would be very interested in checking one out. I believe Alpha Audio in Ct where i live has them from time to time.

How does it sound vs the Rambler? Can you get good sounds at relatively low volumes?? I play in a low volume band once in a while so I don't want any amp > 20-30 watts.

17. riffmeister

I would say that the Meteor II has more 'character' than the Rambler. The bass end of the Meteor is deep and rich and the top end has a nice sparkle to it. The reverb and trem are unbelievably good, both are head & shoulders better than the Rambler's, IMO. In 1/2 power mode (2x6V6), the amp compresses a bit when it is turned up, but never sounds mushy or flabby on the low end, and it transitions into a nice grind, esp with humbuckers. I have never, ever heard a bigger sounding 1x12 before........warm lush low end and a nice chime in the top end.......'character' is the best way for me to describe it. And of course, it takes pedals extremely well, the TIM od pedal sounds fabulous with the amp, IMO. Oh, and the Meteor has a cool sounding "tweed on steroids" type of lead channel, too. The lead channel relies on power amp distortion, so it's gotta be VERY loud before it starts sounding good.

18. Blueser

Blueser Member

I always thought that the original Meteor sounded too thin. Is the Meteor II a thicker sounding BF tone?

19. riffmeister

Dave, I haven't heard the Meteor I. What I do know is that the cab changed (and probably some innards) with the Meteor II. The cab is most definitely part of the Meteor II's sound. It has an oversized baffle which is rigidly connected to the bottom and sides of the cab and free to vibrate along the top edge. And also along the top, a couple of inches down, are a series of small holes. I haven't asked Mark, so I don't know for sure, but my guess is that these holes allow the baffle to vibrate more freely than it would otherwise (and they may also aid ventilation of the tubes). In any event, the Meteor II has a deep, warm, rich sounding bass which I believe is related to the design of the cab. It also has this magical sprarkle on the top end which, combined with the bass response, makes for a really great sound. Also, the way the amp compresses and grinds when it is turned up (no flub in the bass) makes for a really great music-making tool. The volume, voicing, and response of the amp works incredibly well in two of the bands I play in. It was immediately apparent to me, and them as well! I sold my Rambler some time ago, so I'm going by memory, but I'd say that it and the Meteor II are still quite different animals, so some may find the Rambler to be more their liking, others may find the Meteor II more to their liking. The Meteor II works better for me. In fact, the Meteor II (and a couple of pedals) may be the best all-purpose amp I've EVER used in the bands I play in.

Here are some quotes from Mark Bartel, taken from the Fat Sound site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This is amplifier I’ve always wanted to build. After 10 years of designing andbuilding guitar amplifiers, I’ve set out to design an amplifier that incorporates all of my favorite design ideas, and build it in the finest possible manner, using the finest available components, with no consideration given to the cost of the components or the labor involved. This approach allowed me to use materials I hadn’t been able to use in the past (e.g. mirror-finish stainless steel faceplates), and to incorporate design features I’ve always wished I could implement (e.g. external bias meter with individual external bias controls for each tube). The result is what I believe to be the finest amplifier I’ve ever produced. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cabinet:
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The cabinet is a big part of the Meteor’s tone. It is a very resonant box, and is precisely tuned for a warm, dynamic sound with an engaging presence. You can hear the woody resonance by knocking on the cabinet sides. The intention is to tune the to cabinet produce its own sound, like the body of an acoustic guitar. The advantage of this approach (as opposed to tuning the amp solely via the electronics) is that it is possible to achieve both a perfect tonal balance (from bass to treble), as well as an involving, organic sonic presentation - a three-dimensional sound with natural dynamics." [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Mark Bartel [/FONT]

20. rhollyday

So Riffmeister, I take it (I'm a master of the obvious.) that you prefer your Tone king to your Allen Accomplice? Better cleans and overdrive on the Tone King? One concern I had heard with the tone king was it needs to be cranked to achieve great tone. Is that true???