Carr Rambler vs. Carr Vincent

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thinline01, May 28, 2008.

1. thinline01

thinline01 Member

Hi

To anyone who had/has the opportunity to compare these two amps... It is often said the Vincent/Viceroy is a Rambler on steroids... Is the 7 watt mode on the Vincent more/less powerful than the 14 watt mode on the Rambler?

Which one is the most manageable at bedroom level? At low volume, do they sound similar? they are both runned with 2 6L6.

Thanks

T

2. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

7 watts is louder than bedroom level if you plan on pushing it at all.

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Both really good sounding amps. The Viceroy is stiffer and more immediate in its attack, and the Rambler has more sag in it's delivery. If you are playing in a Blues band, I would pick the Rambler. If you were doing a wider variety of stuff including harder rock tones with pedals, the Viceroy will cut better in a busy mix.

7 Watts will be too loud in the bedroom if you are looking to get dirt tones without a pedal.

4. thinline01

thinline01 Member

... well... the Viceroy seems loud even at 7 watts... Can I use the Rambler in an appartment and get high quality clean tones?

thanks

T

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

No....You can use the Rambler to get deliciously sweet and addictive clean tones at apartment volumes. ;)

In addition, you will have a great platform for pedals, so you can get distorted tones at apartment volumes as well!

6. Rubytuesday007

Rubytuesday007 Member

I just tested both yesterday at Willies and it is a real hard decision between the two. With either of these amps you will need a fuzz/distortion pedal if you dont want to get evicted from your apartment. If you dont use pedals and you want some grit, it will be quite loud. The Viceroy is a bit more flexible, and will likely be a betting gigging amp. I dont think the rambler would really be able to play clean over a loud drummer without being mic'd. My 2 cents.....and my first post! :) Greetings all!

Ruby

7. mude

mude Supporting Member

And a fine post indeed. Welcome aboard.

I have been to Willie's up in MN. Fun store with some cool stuff. I remember playing some Carr stuff there, as well as Bogner, Orange and some cool vintage gear.

Evan.

8. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

What's a Viceroy? Weren't you guys comparing a Carr Rambler & Vincent?

9. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Viceroy is the post-legal woes name of the vincent!

I gigged a rambler w/ a very heavy handed drummer and it held together beautifully on the cleans and sung on the leads (I'm prone to gushing about this amp since I sold mine recently- I have the seller's remorse!)YMMV!

10. thinline01

thinline01 Member

11. Den

Den Member

I've done the same many times with my Rambler. Great low volume to small club amp ... and just mic it for more than that. Awesome cleans and sounds great with almost any pedals you throw at it.

12. thinline01

thinline01 Member

Thanks for your input!

13. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Have played both amps. Don't own either. I used to love the Rambler. But once I played the Vincent, I preferred it. Sounded fuller, richer, more interesting, complex -- blues ready. The pedal didn't hurt, either.

Call Paul Schien at Washington Music Center in MD and ask him his opinion. He sells both and is a big Carr fan.

14. thinline01

thinline01 Member

15. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Some good posts so far. I've owned a Rambler for several years and have played several early Vincents. My preference is the Rambler for it's round, sweet and creamy tone. The Vincent (aka Viceroy) is more "forward" with a stronger attack, as Blueser described above. I like putting a Klon, TIM and Blackstone in front of the Rambler when I want more gain. It takes pedals beautifully. I particuarly like to use the Triode (14w) mode. It has a beautiful creamy midrange that sits in the mix nicely. If you want something really awesome, run a chimey amp in parallel. I sometimes add a Matchless Spitfire and the two amps together sound like heaven.

16. thinline01

thinline01 Member

Seems I should go for the Rambler!

17. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

Hello another proud and happy rambler owner here. I have yet to have a problem with enough headroom on this amp, as long as it's miced on a bigger stage. One of the drummers I work with is a mammoth pounder, and it keeps up with him, though I think I'm about at the limit with that band. I agree with all the posts so far, the viceroy is more up front and a bit more in your face than the rambler. I would love to pick up the vice, and use that for pure cleans, and run the rambler in triode mode with my overdrives. Rambler is plenty good for low volume use as well. Hope this helps,
    Kurt

18. thinline01

thinline01 Member

19. northfortyrecords

northfortyrecords Supporting Member

I have experience with both. The things mentioned earlier in this thread are right on.

The Viceroy (mine was a Vinnie) has a mid-forward edge that I could never dial out. This is great if you're looking to cut through in a band, if you're going to play mostly aggressive clean and/or edgy distorted tones - or full on crunch and lead with pedals, and if you're looking for all the above in a super portable giggable sweet looking package. Very nice tones, though. Just not as sweet as the Rambler.

Mine had the Wizard speaker, which I switched out almost immediately for others due to it's super accurate snap/edge that I found nearly offensive at first, but after trying 3 or 4 other speakers (my vintage 1980's G12-80 was the nicest), I put the Wizard back in. It just works with this amp design to cut through on stage the best.

My Rambler on the other hand is as sweet as sweet can get. A relaxed, beautifully rich and fat clean tone that can handle a lot of great pedals. I prefer this amp over the Viceroy.

The Vincent's half power mode though was somehow way more useful than the Rambler's half power.

I'd love to hear what you ended up getting thinline01.

Video of my Vincent

20. heavyrebel

heavyrebel Member

The Rambler can get pretty savage if you run it with the volume up all the way, attenuating the actual level of volume (as well as the tone) with the tone stack.