Carr Rambler vs. Victoria Regal

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 6789, May 26, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I found a store that had both the Carr Rambler (one 12" speaker - not sure of what tubes it had) and the Victoria Regal (one 15" speaker - had the tubes that come with the amp). I connected them with an A/B switcher and played for an hour. I was using a 1965 Hagstrom 1 with single coils.

With the Rambler set to the triode mode both amps sounded very similar except the Regal sounded 10 times bigger. The Regal just filled the room! Super full sounding. The Rambler had more of a midrange sound. In the pentode mode the Rambler was able to get a bigger, fuller, very clean sound but still not as big as the Regal.

I believe the Rambler's tremolo is a power tube bias tremolo which I've been told sounds best when the amp is louder. I think the Regal's tremolo modulates the phase inverter tube and is supposed to sound good at any volume. I like the Regal's tremolo much better. I also like the Regal's reverb better - bigger and fuller than the Rambler's. I didn't think reverb could get any better than the Rambler's till I heard the Regal's.

I tried my Timmy pedal on both amps but I was able to get sounds I liked on both amps without needing the pedal. I just turned up the volume till it was at the clean/just breaking up sound.

If I were to change anything on the Regal, I would add a midrange knob.

I think if I was playing in a full band with two guitars, bass, regular drums, a couple of singers and maybe a keyboard player the rambler might fit in the mix better because it is a more compact - midrange sound. But I'm playing with just myself on guitar, no vocals, a small drum kit and bass guitar. I'm after the Link Wray sound from the 50s and early 60s. I think the regal would be great for the sound I'm after.

I think both amps are great sounding and the ultimate set up would probably be to play through both amps at the same time.

Has anyone else tried the Regal yet? What did you think of it?

2. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both. I Currently own a Regal. For me, the Regal is much more to my liking. It's just bigger and gutsier sounding. Funny you mention Link Wray, because the Regal reminds me of his vibe every time I plug into it. Don't get me wrong, I think the Carr is a fantastic amp. However, I want a rawer and punchier vibe than the carr and the Regal delivers that. The eminence 15 is a fantastic choice for the Regal as well. The Carr is a beautiful clean sound, but I felt it was lacking in the overdriven department from a punch perspective; just too mushy and weak sounding. The Regal has a very wide range of sounds in it - I just turn the volume on 10 or 11 and control my level of overdrive with the guitar knob and I get clean to very nasty sounding. I think Mark Baier has got a winner with this amp but, of course, it is pretty expensive for what it is. I'm not sure how many will ultimately reach players.

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got a Rambler 15, also with the Eminence Legend speaker. I'll tell you, I can't imagine anything better!

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Does the Regal have a reverb bag in it for the tank, to keep the speaker/tank interaction to a minimum?

-TJK

5. katuna

Yes it does.

Also, to the other poster, I'll bet the Rambler with 15 inch speaker is totally righteous!

6. katuna

Yep. This is a great roots and gnarly drunken blues amp. No doubt about it. I feel exactly the same way you do.

7. 6789

6789 Member

I'm deciding what equipment I can sell so I can buy a regal. I'm really jonesin' for one. I like the way it looks too.

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

How does the Regal compare to Victoria's Pro replica? Has anyone played both?

9. duende

duende Member

Regal sounds very interesting...

Although I think Link Wray actually got his tone from inexpensive old valco amps and such...

OOPS! Just did a search on the regal.... dang! It's a valco clone!

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

That is actually what the Regal is based on though, its far more Valco/Supro in nature than it is Tweed according to the site description of it.

-TJK

11. duende

duende Member

Now I want one!! Too much money for me right now... Especially since I just scored a '63 Magnatone Centurion with an original Jensen C12Q for $400.

I'm real curious as to how a 15" speaker would sound different.... Never played through one, just "10's and "12's. I also wonder how different a 15" translates when recorded.

12. katuna

Well, I know what Hogy thinks about 15 inch speakers :D (said by a person who recognizes Hogy's genius and good taste in all things tone - ie, a Komet 60 owner)

13. 6789

6789 Member

Link used to play a Premier amp. he poked holes in the two small speakers to get distortion. When I saw him play last week he was using a Fender Twin Reverb.
    [​IMG]

14. mainsale

mainsale Member

Who cares what Hogie thinks of 15"speakers! He is being very subjective, and that is fine. Just be aware of it.

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

wow.......we're really comparing a 1x6L6 amp with a 2x6L6 amp? :confused:

I'd have to imagine that the Rambler is a bit louder/cleaner than the Regal!

16. katuna

You're probably right - I didn't have them side by side. But I swear, going by memory of the Carr, the Victoria sounds more robust. It's clean sounds are at a lower volume, that's for sure.

17. katuna

Of course you are right. I just like to bring it up because it always brings a smile to my face when someone is so cut to the chase blunt like that and it gets under people's skin. Cracks me up.

18. 6789

6789 Member

When I had the two amps side by side, The volumes were about the same with the Rambler in the 14 watt triode mode, but the Regal sounded 10 times bigger (not louder, just bigger) - lots more low end and the sound seemed to have a super wide spread - it really filled the room. I used to think the Rambler sounded big with lots of low end till I heard the regal. I had the tremolo and reverb turn up quite a bit on both amps. Both the Regal's tremolo and reverb seemed to have a wider range than the Rambler. The Ramblers sound was good, but smaller and more focused sounding. It might sound more articulate when playing complicated faster notes. But I don't play like that. I play big slow chords and single string/note runs and they sound huge on the Regal. It sounds so full, I don't feel like I have to play a lot of notes to fill the sound. I like playing similar to the old Link Wray recordings. I think the Rambler is more versatle, but the Regal nails the sound I want.

With the Rambler in the 28 watt Pentode mode, It sounded bigger and louder with more lows and more highs and very clean. I didn't turn it up loud enough to overdrive it. It reminded me more of a classic fender clean sound. Overdriven, it would have been too loud for what I want in an amp.

The Rambler definately had more of a midrange sound available than the regal - the Regal doesn't have a midrange control, I wish it did. But the Regal sounded great to me even without it.

I thought the Regal went loud enough for any place I'd ever play, Because if I'm ever playing a huge club, there will be a microphone running the amp through a PA. I think it's the smaller bars that might not run the guitars through the PA.

I don't have enought experience to know which amp would sound better mic'd though a PA. I bet the Rambler would sound great. I don't know how the Regal's big sound would translate through a mic through a PA. I haven't played enough shows to know that sort of thing. Does anyone else know? Has anyone mic'd a Regal on stage?