Carr Ramblers other than 1x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nicebreakup, May 22, 2008.

1. nicebreakup

nicebreakup Member

Hi,

I wanted to hear from those of you who have played or own a Rambler 1x15 or 2x12. I played a 1x12 that I really like but I also like a big bass response. (I play a 335 so some amps just cant cut it with neck pickup playing and I'm used to a silverface Pro Reverb).

I had looked into a Vibroverb 64 Custom with the 15 and I liked the bass response but the creaminess of the Rambler wins out. I was just curious since I haven't seen too many Ramblers out there with any of these speaker configurations.

2. kenny335

kenny335 Member

I don't own one, but I have played a 1x15 when I worked at Gryphon. It sounded great! Definately noticed an overall bigger and more open sound. It has been a while, but at the time I felt like it wasn't quite as tight sounding the 1x12. Never played a 2X12. Don't know if that helps or not?

3. Peppy

Peppy Member

Played the 2 X 10" ( the 1 X 12" is better sounding) Rambler and had a 2 X 12" Hammerhead combo. Also owned the '64 Vibroverb Custom. In an e-mail exchange with Steve Carr he said the 1 X 15" Rambler isn't a lot bigger or a lot louder but basically just a bit different tone.

4. Jules6120

Jules6120 Member

I have a Rambler (1x12) and a 335 with Lollar pickups (Imperial Low Winds) and it sounds great. The Rambler has a very tight bottom end that really suits the 335 I think.

My Rambler sounds great with all my guitars actually...

Jules

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have owned a 1x12 Rambler for years before I got a 2x12 Imperial, which is basically a double Rambler (now discontinued). Obviously the 2x12 makes a pretty big difference in depth and spread of the tone. I think that has as much to do with the size of the cabinet as it does with having two speakers.

The Carr Rambler is one of the better amps I have owned! Period. I got the Imperial for bigger Twin like headroom. I use it as a pedal platform.

Hope that helped

B