Carr Skylark Folks - Les Paul vs Strat Style Guitars

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by texstrat, Aug 20, 2017.

1. texstrat

texstrat Member

I've been the proud owner of a Skylark for about 1 year. Prior to that I went through Two Rock Classic Reverb, Fender Silverface Deluxe, Carr Rambler, over a 5 year period. The Skylark is the amp for me - it nails the blackface cleans to beautiful overdrive.

I've been a strat player for 17 years. We all know the Skylark kills with a strat/single coils.

But, I recently converted to a Les Paul about a year ago when I bought a R8.

How do you Skylark players think the amp pairs with Les Paul/Humbucker guitars? I only ask because this is the only amp I've owned since I bought my R8. Just want to see if I'm paired properly for my LP. I know I love the Skylark strat combo but would consider another amp to pair with my LP.

Honestly I think the LP sounds great with the Skylark but I just do not have the history with playing Les Pauls. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thaks

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    porterburst likes this.
  2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Paging Dr @porterburst

My guess is that if you're happy with it then why mess with that?

3. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

Strats sound fantastic through the Skylark, but my LP's and Skylark are a match made in heaven. Just "KILLER" Duane and Dickey Eat A Peach and Dickey studio tones I love and more.

If your Les Pauls wood and pu's are good, it should sound amazing through a Skylark.

I love my Skylark!!!

glazed67 likes this.
  4. texstrat

texstrat Member

Thanks for that. I agree, sounds great to me as well. I'm still tweaking the amp tone controls a bit. But I think I've got it set up for some classy LP tones. I'll listen to some records and compare...

porterburst likes this.