Carr Skylark, new amp from Steve Carr

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by henryjurstin13, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

WRTT Skylark : Are we to presume that the 12 watt rating is to prevent it being overworked by those using full volume and then the attenuator as an
    actual volume control instead ? If it was putting out 22 watts ( max possible ) and then being turned down on an L-pad etc , it would soon
    fail .

2. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

No. The 12 watt rating is what the amp delivers at full power. Even though the tubes can be used to produce more wattage, the transformers are what sets the power rating. The attenuator is only engaged when the amp is in 1.2 watt mode, in 12 watt mode, the attenuator is bypassed.
    And to answer your earlier question, it is not an L-Pad, but it does a similar job. L-Pad aren't really meant for audio, and don't sound very good when used this way.

3. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

So attenuation is by resistive path and not tube anode voltage reduction at PI or output ? I'm asking these questions because I'm researching
    a purchase between a Slant6 ( not in stock ) and Sportsman/Skylark ( in stock ) at the Importer's shop . If I can use an Aracom 150 DAG on the
    Slant6 cathode output section for a similar response , then the larger and more versatile 6 would be of more use to me :)

4. navenjohnson

navenjohnson Inventor of the Opti-grab

Well, I just ordered a Skylark - should be here next week. Oh man, I'm really excited! Now I need to sell off some gear.

5. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Please let us know how you like it!!!

6. navenjohnson

Just got it today. First impression - Holy Crap! Amazing Cleans, Amazing Crunch, and Oh that hair on the edge of break-up. Mmm-mmm-mmm. :)

7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

How do you find the headroom? Also, have you tried any other Carr models?

8. navenjohnson

There is plenty for my purposes. With the attenuator out of the circuit and the tone knobs set: bass = 1:00, mid = 10:00, treb = 11:30, my tele starts growing hair around 2:30 on the volume knob and my ES335 around 1:00. This amp is very sensitive to picking dynamics though so those figures are based on what I would call "medium" picking. You can definitely dig in and get this thing to snarl and growl with your picking. It's more than loud enough while still clean for my home use and if the tone is right but the volume ain't, then that's what Shure makes SM57's for. Whether the volume is right depends on the setting, but the tone is definitely right on this bad boy - actually make that tones.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

This amp has my attention. Wondering if you got the new A-Type Celestion in yours?

I couldn't get the Rambler to break up the way I wanted and the Mercury was too British.

All great amps, but this one seems tailored to someone like me who wants slightly broken BF tones in a very small studio.

10. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

Now thats a sound I really like!

11. frquent flyer

frquent flyer Member

12. petty1818

petty1818 Member

Has anyone tried using the Skylark with a drummer? I used my Fender Excelsior Pro (11 watts) at a show for fun a few months ago and with single coils I had just enough headroom. This experience makes me feel as though the Skylark might be the amp for me.

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Member

Very little demo on clean humbuckers. Am I having weird dreams or do humbuckers work better in a El 34 Brit sounding amp and single coils are preferred in smaller El 84 style amps? This skylark sure likes the tele.

14. joeprs

joeprs Member

The Skylark has 6V6 power tubes.

I think most demo videos may give you an idea how the amp sounds, but it doesn't compare to bringing your guitar(s) to demo for yourself. There are so many variables, how the amp was set up, how it was recorded, etc.

Videos can make a good amp sound horrible.

15. dynac0mp

dynac0mp Member

Ok. THIS is the amp I have been looking for. Starting a savings account...

16. bdm

bdm Supporting Member

I had the chance to play through a Skylark today and I was totally impressed. I've owned several Carr amps in the past but this one is even better in my opinion. The cleans were perfect. The dirt was awesome. My only complaint is I didn't have the cash to take it home.

The Skylark is definitely on my short-list.