Carr Skylark vs Carr Sportsman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joeprs, Feb 12, 2015.

1. joeprs

joeprs Member

Both have 6V6 power tubes. Sportsman is based on the Princeton, Skylark is based on the Harvard. Sportsman has 16 watts clean, 19 watts max, with a 'headroom' control that is more or less a MV. Skylark has 12 watts which can be attenuated. Both can do clean and grind to one degree or another.

Other than the attenuator, presence control and high/low gain switch on the Skylark and slightly more headroom of the Sportsman, is there really that much difference between the two?

My question might be stupid or not. I feel like the Skylark is an improved or fancier Sportsman more or less. Although, maybe there is a BIG difference between the Harvard (which I'm unfamiliar with and the Princeton).

I own a Sportsman and have spent very little time with the Skylark, although I really liked what I heard.

If there was a thread on this that I may have missed, please post a link to it so I can read it.

If I'm beating this subject to death, let me know and I'll just delete this thread.

Thanks for reading and your time.

2. leighianson

leighianson Member

Hey joeprs, I have a rambler and skylark on order and I've played the sportsman a fair bit. To me they are quite different, with the skylark being brighter and maybe with a little faster response. If I had the throw around adjectives I would call the skylark delicate and articulate and the sportsman would be warm and spongy. I found the breakup on the skylark quite a bit better for me but that's just personal preference. The sportsman was also a little boxy sounding to me whereas the skylark was more open.

Here is the link to a thread about Carr amps where I posted a clip comparing the skylark and sportsman, but I accidentally pointed the iPhone at my crotch so be warned haha.

3. joeprs

joeprs Member

Thanks, leighianson, your post is very helpful. I think I can actually stick with what I have for now.
    I do agree that the Sportsman can sound boxy. I plugged it into my 16 ohm 2 x 12 Avatar cab and was blown away. The Avatar has a V30 and G12H-30 which compliment one another well.

4. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

hey Guys, I'm going to post this on another thread I started about the Skylark. My best friend bought the Skylark I was looking at, but I wasn't ready to pull the trigger. I caught his band last night and took a couple video's of the Skylark in action, in a 6 piece blues band at an outdoor venue. The Skylark SMOKES!!

To anyone who wonders if this amp is GIG worthy with a BAND, ....listen and decide for yourself. I was personally amaaazed!!

I checked his settings at the end of the night and to the best of my recollection, they were:
    Vol = Noon
    L/H switch set to "L"
    treble 10 o'clock
    Mid 11 oclock to noon
    Bass = 3 o'clock
    Presence = 9 o'clock
    He had a Jam Dreamer Plus OD pedal with both sides engaged the whole time
    Guitar = Fender '63 Custom Shop Tele w/Fender CS '63 PU's

5. joeprs

joeprs Member

Groberts, thank you for posting. It sounds great and definitely cuts through.