Carr slant 6 modded to Dumble ODS specs(quick clip)

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by sidehatch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I placed this in the wrong secrtion so now its here.

I have had my carr slant 6 since 2003 and gigged it extensively however I disliked the distortion/OD sound. I always used pedals and kept the amp because I loved the clean channel. The amp has completely different preamps that share nothing. Thats why I got rid of the fuchs I had. Once I dialed in the clean channel the lead channel didnt work for me. After a few discussions at the amp garage I sent the amp to henry at redplate amps and he rebuilt the overdrive channel and added reverb to it. It was available only on the clean channel before and Carr amps said it was IMPOSSIBLE to add it later! lol. Henry also added a footswitchable gain boost on the lead channel and the bass control is now an off/on switch and when switched off it engages a preamp boost which disables the tone stack for liquid tones.

This clip was me screwing around yesterday with 91 PRS straight into the amp and a M audio microtrack recorder with built in mic picking it up in the room. The controls are gain 2 o'clock, volume at 8 o'clcock, treb,middle and bass at noon. Pardon the room rattling and its a little bassier sounding that it really is. You should be able to year the "D" tone though.

I dont work for redplate amps but I'd like to let you know that Henry has developed this mod into a drop in kit for Carr amp owners and he builds custom amps for very little money compared to the other guys that do what he does. Email him at heisthl @ msn dot com or check out his website redplateamps dot com. He's really good at rebuilding Od channels for" D" tone. All of this work cost me less than most D style pedals and its the real deal. I'll try to upload a pic of the amp's inside. It looks amazing!

http://www.box.net/shared/7qvadh4o7o

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. alguit

alguit Member

Hi, thank you for sharing this clip; I'm getting ready to send my Slant 6V to Henry; I've heard a few samples and enjoyed both your tone AND your playing!

Alan

3. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Silver Supporting Member

Impressive!

some other tgp members have posted Red Plate demos-Tweedy verb and the like. Defintely an underrated and often overlooked builder.

4. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Very cool,
    Do you know if it's a HRM or non?
    It sounds great.

BTW,
    Thanks for just vibing on the channel and not playing bebop licks. It's nice to hear something a bit different.

5. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Its hard for me not to play bebop and outside licks too!

I think its non HRM but you'd have to ask henry to be sure.

6. K-man

K-man Member

The guts of Carr amps are a work of art. I'm interested in seeing the pics.

7. synthnut

synthnut Member

I just got my older Carr 6V back from Henry tonight , and all I can say is that this mod is the best amp investment I have made in many many years of playing !!....This amp sound INCREDIBLE now ...The overdrive channel use to be buzzy and did not appeal to me at all ....I kept the amp for the clean channel ....The older 6V's did not have reverb on both channels either ...I have reverb on both channels now and I now have the "D" tone in spades on the overdrive channel , along with a boost on the footswitch , and there are trim pots inside the amp to adjust the volume of the overdrive channel , and there is also a gain trim pot .....NO PEDALS NEEDED !!!....All this and the overdrive channel is VERY quiet !!.... This is now my favorite amp by far !! No buzzy sounding raspy overdrive anymore ....Now a gutsy sounding naturally overdriven tone with sustain for DAYS !!!.....Beautiful harmonic tone to the bone !!....Jim

BTW ...KUDO'S to Henry who really installed this mod the RIGHT way and his work is 2nd to none !!.....A great guy who REALLY knows his S_ _ T !!!!.......

8. heisthl

heisthl Member

Here's a picture of the installed modified channel:​

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I've said it before but Carr amps needs to license henry's mods and incorperate them into stock slant 6's.

I kept my slant 6 becasue the nice cleans but the Od channel wasn;t very good IMHO before the mods. I say it was unusable for me and my style. Not just for jazz or fusion but for rock. It just didnt' sing. I love Redplates amps motto "amps that sing" Thats the plain and simple truth! I dont know what Steve carr was thinking in designing an otherwise killer amp. An amp with the best clean I've heard thats geared towards roots players like myself but totally drops the ball when it comes to lead. I dont have to have dumble tone to be happy. I just want it to sing and it ddint before the mods. Also, Did you guys see that the slant 6v got an editors pic for guitar player this month?

Too bad they didnt have MY amp to review.

Henry is pretty much the SHIZZLE! PERIOD! NEXT!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  10. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Also, Why did Steve Carr personally tell me it is IMPOSSIBLE to add reverb to an already built amp? I just dont get it. Okay, maybe he didnt want to add it but for him to say it cant be done. Wow! Thats a strong statement. i lived with that amp for 5 years using pedals to get a decent sound.

Im not turning this into a Carr bashing thread because me keeping it and selling the fuchs AND two rock I had says something about how great certain aspects are of the stock amp but C'mon man...

Can a man get some tube verb on his lead channel?

And Synth NUT, You got to get a redplate u' lator!

I put an RCA 12ax7 in mine yesterday before my jazz concert. Big difference. I only did it because the EH tube started to hum. I dont know if there is a tonal difference amongst tubes in that unit but the hum is gone and it is SO much better using an analog delay in the amps loop with that extra tube driving it. Wow .

In my 29 years of playing its the best I've ever had. the only thing that gives it a run for its money is the Redplate amp henry built from the ground up for my nephew with built in FX buffer. I want to gig his and see what i like better.

I'm going on record for saying to my ears Henry builds the best sounding amps you can buy for any money.

GOD I'd love to have a small 1/12" redplate now that im having back probs!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  11. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

Sounds like a killer amp. Love the clip! :drool

12. K-man

K-man Member

I think the OD channel is quite good. I don't find it buzzy at all. Granted I use mine with the master cranked and a Ho attenuator. The OD channel is based on a Marshall. Maybe that's just not your thing, and you prefer the Dumble sound (which is fine), but to say it blows is a little harsh. It is a little dark and you can't be afraid to adjust the tone knobs to their extremes. I have the treble cranked.

13. K-man

K-man Member

It is not impossible, Carr just don't find it economical to add it after the amp is built. It involves a lot of rewiring and they are busy building new amps.

By the way your clips sounded great. I thought about getting the mod done, but decided the Dumble sound is too limiting. Good for lead blues and fusion, but not so good for rock (especially rhythm playing). That's just my opinion of course.

Now if the Dumble board could be added while keeping the original OD channel intact and adding a toggle switch, that would be cool. Probably not feasible though.

14. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I'm thinking something might have been wrong with my lead channel. It was harsh and grainy with no sustain. I can adjust it now for a great straight up rock tone too. .

I need to ask Henry if mine was an anomoly or if they all sound that bad. I like the sound of a good Marshall too. My amp didnt deliver anything close.

Henry even said mine was one of the most unispiring lead channels he's played thru.I can't imagine every Slant 6 sounding that way especially since I've read so many great reviews and the sounds on Carr's site are pretty good.

No offense in me saying Slant 6's suck in stock form. The Clean and cranked up clean are amongst the best I've heard. If they all sound like mine did for lead then it just sucks for me and my playing lol...

My favorite thing about it now is it has the best clean channel i've owned and then the OD section I love complete with seperate controls and the footswitchable gain boost.

I wonder if henry could mod my footswitch to turn the preamp boost(tonestack defeat) on off?

That would knock me out!

15. alguit

alguit Member

I'm packing my Carr and sending off to Henry this week! Still, I wouldn't say, either, that the stock sound was bad on the lead channel; interestingly, I found it great at low volumes but actually less so as I cranked it, a first for any tube amp I've owned. Mic'd, it sounded terrific, but otherwise, moving anywhere except right in front of the speaker, it sounded a bit small.

Gigging, I'd get compliments on the tone, no complaints there. For me, it's just having hear this clips and writing back and forth with Henry that's gotten me so inspired to let him do his thing to it! If I could, I might keep it as it is and just buy one of Henry's ground-up builds, but I'm a poor 2-year college prof, and this is the much-more affordable option....

16. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I understand that. My nephew bought a ground up build after hearing mine.what a lucky dude huh!!!!! Since you already own the Carr its the only way to go. You guy are really making me think there was something wrong with my amp. Maybe Henry can chime in and say if my amp was any different.

My next amp is going to be a 1/12 redplate build thats lightweight and all the tone you can expect from a redplate. I dont care what I have to sell to make that happen. I'd love to grab a guitar,throw it in the back seat and the redplate in the front seat and that be it.

I'm also interested in trying the tonkerlites. Henry uses them and I trust those ears!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  17. alguit

alguit Member

I'll say this: I've played, that I can remember, five different Slants, and there WERE some marked tonal differences-none I would say were bad, but DIFFERENT. I was also interested in comparing the wiring in mine to the one in photos Henry sent-I think I eventually was able to match each connection, but the paths of some of the wiring and soldering points are quite different. I am by no means an amp tech guy, but I can't help but wonder how even minutes differences in parts placement might affect tone...

18. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I need to take some pics of my slant 6 on the inside becasue the pics I had were on my old computer. Mine looks different than Henry's clips and is maybe because it was the first one.

I just got in from a gig with the amp . God I love it!

19. wellsyboy

wellsyboy Member

I did mine myself - instructions are good and easy to follow - if you are good with a soldering iron you shouldn't have too much of a problem. When I dismantled mine I managed to keep a lot of the parts together to make rebuilding easier if I choose to change it back. I was pretty pleased with the result and you get more options and sounds and it does make the lead channel more versatile. But I wouldn't have said it was better just different. If you want a decent Dumble type tone you should do the mod - it is pretty good. Having said that I will be putting mine back soon as I have a Bludo on order! I think steve carr is a genius and if I could turn the clock back I would leave well alone - such a shame to alter such a beautifully built circuit. :)

I know this post sounds a bit contradictory and it may not have helped that much - just letting you know how I feel having done it.

20. strat1953

strat1953 Member

how much was the mod with footswitch?