Carr Slant 6 vs. Carr Mercury

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gdwill2u, Jul 25, 2006.

1. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I play only at home, need good clean head room and decent gain channel. I think the slant 6 sounds like it would be more my cup of tea, but the Mercury looks perfect for home playing with it's in the box attentuator.

Discuss please.

2. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I haven't played a Slant 6, but I've got a Mercury. The Mercury has beautiful clean sounds but does break up pretty quickly. It just depends on what volume level you want for cleans. The Mercury is a single channel amp, but thats not a problem for me, as I use it for playing and recording at home. And it has some great gain sounds with the 2 preamp boost settings. These settings bypass the tone stack and so the guitar tone control and a high cut switch are the only tone shaping controls you have. I am finding I would like more control so I'll probably pick-up a Morning Dew EQ pedal one of these days. I would say if your after pristine cleans at moderate volume levels then the Mercury is probably not the amp you need. I got the Mercury for the power tube distortion at moderate volumes and it does it very well. It's a sweet little amp.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

They are miles apart. If you can't play loud, then the the Merc is the clear choice.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Merc is for you. Don't even bother with the Slant - WAY TOO LOUD! Unless you have two acres of land between you & the neighbors...

The Mercury is one of my favorite little amps! It's still plenty loud but the amp design is extremely gratifying if used as intended. $$$ but one of the best recording and low wattage amps ever created. The best part is how you can smack it around with pedals and how totally unique it sounds at different volume points. DO IT!

5. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

I am exactly like you, play only at home. I went back and forth between deciding on a Rambler and Mercury. I went with the Merc after talking to Steve Carr. I couldn't possibly be happier with the decision. On the first gain channel the cleans are beautiful and it starts to break up around noon on the dial. On 8 amps, this gives a very loud gorgeous clean sound. I usually play mine on 2 watts and toggle between the first and second gain stage. I don't find the tone bypass limiting. I do have a SBEQ that I use sometimes for more tonal flexibility. It takes pedals transparently, for tons of more tones. The "cut" switch also gives more tonal options on all gain channels. Sounds great with humbuckers and single coils, but I tend to play single coils most often. It's suprisingly the most flexible amp I've ever used. You won't regret your purchase, I promise.
    :dude

6. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Thanks for all the imput.

Starting to look like the Mercury is the way to go.

Keep all the good comments coming

7. K-man

K-man Member

Go with the Merc. At the full 8 watts it's pretty loud and will have more than enough clean headroom. Look for one used if you can. YOu'll save alot of cash.

8. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

I almost never buy used. I'm funny about this...I just don't like the feeling of owning something that someone else might have taken care of or maybe they didn't. I only buy used from close friends.

Besides I love that "fresh out of the box feeling":jo

9. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Also, if you buy new you'll get the new speaker that replaced the Kingpin. I really didn't like the Kingpin, sounded too dark and small. I replaced mine after only a couple weeks with a Scumback and couldn't be happier with that decision. Now the amp sounds big and open.

10. gdwill2u

gdwill2u Member

Good point...so you don't like the stock speaker?

11. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

The stock speaker has been changed. It used to be the Kingpin (eminence speaker branded for Carr) and is now an Eminence Red, White and Blues. I did not like the previous stock speaker, as many didn't if you do a search. I haven't heard the current one.

12. opdev

opdev Member

I'd like to try a new speaker in mine. I LOVE the Mercury. If you can only have one hoem amp, this is it.

Princeton Reverb, 5E3 ,and Marshall/Vox thingy in one box.

The clean at 8W is just as sweet as a PR but maybe a tad darker. Maybe I need a new speaker as well.

13. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

14. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

If your emphasis is on cleans, the slant sounds more vintage blackface than the merc... I hear a lot of deluxe reverb in the slant. The Merc's reverb is more like a hall/room rather than springy blackface. Personally, I prefer the Merc in everyway over the slant, but wish it had more power. If Carr made a 2xKT66 Merc head with switchable boost, I would be all over it.

If you want a great home amp in the blackface fender vein, a Princeton Reverb and a couple of good OD pedals (zendrive, baby blue) is really nice. Check out fatback's vid clips.

Ray

15. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Is the Mercury a clean amp only? Lots of good comments about the clean side but what about the distortion side? I tend to play about 25% of the time on clean and 75% on the distorted side. So a good clean channel is nice but its the Mr. Hyde side of the amp I'm most curious about?

16. myles111

myles111 Member

The Slant 6V in the quad mode is a 50 watt amp regardless of what the specs say. In the 1/2 power class A mode it is still a darn loud puppy.

The Mercury sounds more of an amp that would suit your needs.

17. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

Oh no, it's far from a clean amp only. You can get anything from Billy Gibbons or Neil Young crunch to a good hard rock machine replete with pinch harmonics. Also, you can get this at any volume from baby sleeping in the next room to small club levels. This amp goes into distortion somewhere around 1/2 way up and is screaming when dimed. You can add more grind using it with the boost on 2 or 3. To me it has more of a tweed sound when in crunch mode and somewhere in between blackface and tweed clean sound. Tremendously versatile. Check out the clips on the Carr website. http://www.carramps.com/

18. K-man

K-man Member

It has a 3 position boost. 1 is clean, but can get slightly dirty when cranked. 2 is more like a vintage plexi to my ears. 3 is higher gain, not metal but plenty of gain for rock.

There are sound clips on Carr's website:

http://www.carramps.com/

19. myles111

myles111 Member

The Mercury is a very very very versitile amp that can do nice cleans and great distorted tones. Heck ... with two of them in a 25,000 seat venue with a few kilowatts of house power behind you with one set for clean you could play the gig! I have one client that does this with two Vox AC-15 1x12 reissues and amp wattage means very little in this application.

But ... I digress ... the point is the Mercury can do many things and all very well, especially in your intended application.

20. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

I picked up a Carr Mercury strictly for playing at home. It is a fine amplifier for the bedroom, sister-in-laws' home (although I should take the Bruno CT22 and upset my brother-in-law), empty building, barn, 22nd floor office, etc.

One of the beauties of the Mercury is it sounds so good. The clips don't do it justice. I didn't buy it sooner because of the simple fact,I did not dig the sound clips. (That's me though).

Nothing against the Kingpin speaker here. Although a Scumbag does sound inviting.

CNOTE