Carr Sportsman or Little King Reverb???

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I had both of them. When I got the Sportsman, I thought it sounded like a somewhat bigger/fatter version of the LK, so I sold the LK..... but in the end, I really didn't love the SM, so I sold that pretty soon after. I had the LK for about 4 or 5 years, and I did really like it, so I should have kept that one. That said, the SM had a Red, White and Blues speaker, and I don't really like that speaker (I had one on loan once before). I probably should have tried it with a different speaker.

In the end, I think I prefer the sound of blackface circuits more than 'improved' versions of them. I also prefer a Deluxe Reverb to a Carr Rambler (I've owned both, but currently have a vintage 68 DR).

silver surfer

I had both of them. When I got the Sportsman, I thought it sounded like a somewhat bigger/fatter version of the LK, so I sold the LK..... but in the end, I really didn't love the SM, so I sold that pretty soon after. I had the LK for about 4 or 5 years, and I did really like it, so I should have kept that one. That said, the SM had a Red, White and Blues speaker, and I don't really like that speaker (I had one on loan once before). I probably should have tried it with a different speaker.

In the end, I think I prefer the sound of blackface circuits more than 'improved' versions of them. I also prefer a Deluxe Reverb to a Carr Rambler (I've owned both, but currently have a vintage 68 DR).
Don't want to sidetrack this thread so soon, but this may also help the OP find the right amp. I feel the same way about vintage Fenders. Have had 3 for decades, but kept reading about all these great boutiques based on the old Fenders and finally gave in - trying a few including a Carr Slant 6 (fantastic amp in its own right). I sold them all and just use the vintage Fenders. Nothing like them.

mattymel

If you want a real Fender sound I would go with a Allen also. Carrs sound really good though. But not like an old Fender to me.

stevieboy

Halfvaxed member
Gold Supporting Member
The Li'l King is supposed to be a Princeton pretty much exactly isn't it? Allen tweaks his designs.

I recently got a Sportsman. I had thought about the Headstrong, have briefly tried them out in the past, very nice, but the place I go to only had a ten inch version of the Li'l King, so I didn't compare them because I wanted a twelve. I think the Sportsman would have won anyway, largely because it has the master volume which works well. I like the way it sounds at various settings of the mid control too. The reverb sounds good, doesn't have tremolo which would be nice but not essential to me.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
How important is the Sportsman's Master volume (Headroom control) to you? It's the only one of the amps mentioned that has it.

Trending Topics