Carr Telstar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, May 22, 2018.

1. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

Hey dukeh62,
    My responses are as follows:
    1. When I want maximum crunch, I set reverb to 0 and it is inaudible to me. I have used my Strymon Flint in lieu of amp reverb with great results. I can't imagine it being a problem with any external reverb.
    2. I don't use fuzz pedals, but my Telstar sounded great when set for edge of breakup and Timmy engaged for an awesome crunch rhythm / lead solo sound! My mini TS also sounds great.
    3. The edge of breakup tone offerings are amongst the best I have experienced. It responds nicely to the touch and cleans up when lowering the guitar volume.

The best part is that it offers fantastic tones anywhere from beautiful cleans to classic rock crunch and is surprisingly versatile with its minimalistic layout that is super easy to dial in!:)

dukeh62 likes this.
  2. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

On my Telstar, when the reverb is set to zero ... there is no reverb.

SRT2011 and dukeh62 like this.
  3. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

For a predominantly housebound player, I can think of no better amp. As SRT2011 says, "the edge of breakup tone offerings are amongst the best I have experienced".

SRT2011 likes this.
  4. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Thanks so much for the answers, guys!

One more question: Can it stay somewhat clean at gigging volumes? I don’t need pristine clean by any stretch, but I’d like a little more headroom than I get out of my Clark Beaufort which I use for almost all my gigs.

5. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

Yes, I think so. The amp stays fairly clean with volume up to around 1:00-1:30. If you run it at max power with that volume setting it is quite loud! Certainly loud enough for any gigs that I do. This really depends on how loud your band plays though...

dukeh62 likes this.
  6. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Got a Skylark and Mercury V myself and I have to say they're an awesome complimentary duo. Still GAS'ing hard for an Impala though... And the Telstar certainly isn't helping things either...

SRT2011 likes this.
  7. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

How would you compare the Telstar to the Skylark?

8. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

I have provided some of my comparisons between these two amps in this thread and the "Carr Skylark vs Telstar" thread, but to summarize:
    1. They are definitely unique in design and features, but can be set to cover similar types and range of sounds.
    2. Skylark is pretty much all about American Vintage voicings from beautiful cleans to nice overdrive tones. It does have very effective Treble, Middle, Bass & Presence Controls for fine tuning adjustments. It is a 12w amp with an excellent attenuator, but only from 0-1.2W
    3. Telstar offers American (53 mode) and British (58 mode) inspired tones from beautiful cleans to nice overdrive. The single tone control is surprisingly versatile at conjuring up beautiful sounds and interacts differently depending on 53/58 and Lean/Lush toggles. The Telstar has a stronger bass response and is 17w max with a very useful full range attenuator. It also accepts any alternate octal tube instead of stock 6L6 that results in very noticeable differences in sound and feel.

They are both excellent sounding amps, but the Telstar is my personal favorite of any amps I currently own! I don't find the minimal controls to be a limitation.....in fact, I prefer it because it is SO EASY to dial in / tweak sounds on the fly.....

9. BluesyCat

BluesyCat Staff Reviewer Bass Gear Magazine Gold Supporting Member

start of the 11th week of my custom order Telstar Head model....no word yet...

10. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

Just bought one off Reverb. Will post first impressions when received.

SRT2011 likes this.
  11. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

Hang in there BluesyCat.........hopefully it will ship soon!

BluesyCat likes this.
  12. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

Congrats! You actually found a used one?

BluesyCat likes this.
  13. BluesyCat

Got a question for everyone here: What cab would you pair with the Telstar head? We currently have a Skylark combo, Mercury head, and a divided/13 2x10 cab. (FYI: We are *thinking* of selling off the Skylark and keeping the Mercury head but won't really know what to do until the head arrives..)

14. Pantone 333

Pantone 333 Member

You're going to receive a lot of opinions on this one. If it was me, I'd choose ...

https://celestion.com/product/151/celestion_cream/

BluesyCat likes this.
  15. SRT2011

SRT2011 Member

I really don't know, but the stock speaker in the combo sounds fantastic to me!
    It might sound great thru your /13 2x10 cab.

BluesyCat likes this.
  16. BluesyCat

It's decided. Gonna buy a TR 1x12 to go with the Telstar Head. Now, if only the head would arrive....

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  17. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

I'm on week 17. I was told two weeks ago that it'll ship within the next 4 weeks though.

:facepalm

SRT2011 and BluesyCat like this.
  18. BluesyCat

Oh dear.

SRT2011 likes this.
  19. vladimirwolfe

vladimirwolfe Supporting Member

20. vladimirwolfe

vladimirwolfe Supporting Member

I’ve tried 2 cabs with my Telstar. An older Port City Wave 8 ohm 2 x 10 with Scumnicos and a 16 ohm J Design 2 x 12 with a Scumback M75 PVC and a Scumnico PVC. Like ‘em both but (today) nod is going to the 2 x 12.

Scumback Speakers likes this.