• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Carr Telstar

@Magnets And Melodies
Thanks for the review! I'm considering purchasing one too. How is the bass response with the combo cab?
In one word - big. This amp has the most bass out of the 4 I own. In lush mode it really comes forward quite a bit if you want it to. If it's too much, you put it in lean mode and it cuts some of it out and tightens it up a lot. But in lush mode, I can't imagine anyone feeling like they would need more bass than this.

Silkrodamus

Update -

Got my replacement Telstar last night and just put a half hour of playing in this morning.

It's everything I hoped it to be when I bought it the first time. No noticeable reverb tails at all. Nothing like what I was experiencing with the first one. I'm still curious what was up with that amp, so I'll be curious to see what they find... but today I'm ecstatic.

The Telstar is the 4th Carr amp I own. I have a Skylark, Mercury V, and a Hammerhead Mk1. My take on the Telstar is that it really stands out amongst the others I own with it's own unique voice. I think "familiar, but new and unique" is the best way to describe it. Whereas I find the Skylark to be crystal clear but lacking lowend, and the Mercury V to be a bit bright and a bit mid-scooped, the Telstar kind of answers the call for where the other 2 lack in terms of low end and warmth.

When I was looking at my next amp, I was initially set on the Impala. I was looking for something that had more low end, warmth in the mids etc.. something that had some body and could do jazzy "bell like" chords really well. It was something I lacked in other amps and I wanted to find something that really shined. I was quite set on the Impala, but when I heard reports that the Telstar could get really warm and into jazz territory really well, I took a look at it. What appealed to me most about it was actually it's versatility. If it could do what I was looking for PLUS give me great drive tones with unique character, putting me in some vintage tonal territory.... than it sounded like the best of both worlds.

Well, it lived up to my expectations. It ticks off the box for bell like jazz tones. The cleans are incredibly versatile. It does Tele Twang like it was born to do so, and then with a few turns of the dial can make my LP sound like a huge jazz box. Bells ringing for days. Similarly the drive tones are incredible. They give me something no other amp has at this point, which is this really great mid forward vintage drive. It can get super squishy like a tweed if you want it to, but also bright and bitey like a marshall. It has great articulation. I was able to get some really good "Zep 2" tones out of it pretty much instantaneously. It sounds like what you'd get if you put a bunch of vintage small wattage amplifiers into 1 amp at once... switching between them with the turn of a dial.

Even though it has less controls than the Impala and others I own, I find it almost more useful. The variance of tones by just adjusting the volume + tone pots is really impressive, and the lean/lush + 53/58 switches give it totally different characters. It's incredibly versatile but without the headache of twisting a ton of knobs to get there - very simple to find your sound. For comparison, the Mercury V is incredibly versatile and can do many many tones, but it's going to take a lot longer to find them than with the Telstar.

Anyhoo, I'm obviously a big fan. My first experience was unfortunate, but it was very evident that it'd be worth it to get it all sorted out with a new one. Now that I have it in hand, I'm super glad I stuck with it. I'll see how I think in a week or so but today, it's my favorite Carr amp so far. Just incredibly good.
You just perfectly summed up everything I love about the amp. It goes from jazzy to rude in ways I don't see often in amps... its just a matter of twisting a couple dials and maybe flicking a switch...then doing the rest of your shaping on your guitar. Literally takes under a minute every time I want to dial it into another type of tone.

I am so happy that this is finally resolved for you, and even happier that the Telstar was worth it in that it functions really well for your needs.

I've had mine for maybe 5 months and I have still yet to have any need for an overdrive or distortion pedal with this amp. It's natural overdrive is so good....volume and tone controls on my guitar takes care of everything I want tone-wise with this amp. I have been able to cop countless classic tones from some of my favorite songs and artists with this amp, easily, with minimal friggin' around and tweaking. Most I've used pedal-wise is just some modulation and time-based effects.

It nails every genre I play, never makes me feel like there is something missing in the tone, and sounds excellent with every guitar I plug into it. Carr nailed it with this one. It's also my favorite Carr amp.

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
I just emailed the Humbucker Music folks b/c I'm interested in buying a Telstar, and while I don't mind a little bit of reverb bleed, I don't want a crazy amount like @Magnets And Melodies had. The rep emailed me back saying that the 2 they have in stock both have a slight reverb bleed at high volumes. I sent him M&Ms video to compare, and am waiting to hear back. Sounds like some SLIGHT reverb bleed is normal with this design.

I just emailed the Humbucker Music folks b/c I'm interested in buying a Telstar, and while I don't mind a little bit of reverb bleed, I don't want a crazy amount like @Magnets And Melodies had. The rep emailed me back saying that the 2 they have in stock both have a slight reverb bleed at high volumes. I sent him M&Ms video to compare, and am waiting to hear back. Sounds like some SLIGHT reverb bleed is normal with this design.
Yes, I agree some slight is there.... but let me tell you the difference between the designed reverb bleed and what I was experiencing...

The second amp I got (#100 serials after the first one) doesn't have any noticeable reverb present when you turn the reverb off... untill you blast things all the way up (all knobs, '58 mode etc) and then..... if you really focus your attention on it and align your ear with the speaker, stabbing chords with short bursts... then you can kind of notice some reverb bleed underneath it... a split second but it sounds muffled and out of the way. Honestly you cannot hear it unless you're really really trying to. The sheer volume and drive of everything else is front and centre. It's almost not worth mentioning. I would make it akin to someone trying to whisper something to you from 2 feet away in a loud club. It'll take concentration to hear it, but it is there if you try hard enough.

The bleed that happened in the first amp I had was not that. That bleed was obviously a malfunction. It was basically reverb that was "always on". In the video you can tell it's noticeable. With my second one, it didn't do anything like that.

Silkrodamus

Quick video I recorded on my cellphone of the Telstar in action. A little mashup of a couple Link Wray tunes. Wanted to see if it recorded well through a s***ty cellphone mic.

Excuse my sloppy playing, I actually have a cold and just trying to kill the boredom. I have had this amp for about half a year and I think I like it more and more with each passing month. This is mostly just Baja Tele plugged into the Telestar with the amp attenuator fully open and the volume at about 2ish o'clock, tone knob cranked almost all the way up, 53 and Lean mode. Reverb also 2ish o'clock.

I kick on the Crazy Tube Circuits Killer V when it switches to the second song in the mashup (about 1:23 in the video...or when you hear the f$%& up in my playing as I walk my sick ass over for the pedal lol). That pedal works great with this amp. Highly recommend.

Last edited:

SRT2011

Thanks for posting the clip. It sounds great and your Baha Tele pairs well with the amp! It amazes me how well cell phones can record these days. Still loving my Telstar as well!:aok

Get well soon!

Silkrodamus

Thanks for posting the clip. It sounds great and your Baha Tele pairs well with the amp! It amazes me how well cell phones can record these days. Still loving my Telstar as well!:aok

Get well soon!
Thanks buddy. You know how us men are with our man-colds lol near death, I tell ya.

I am also impressed with the modern cellphone microphones! I didn't think it would do this amp any justice at all....but surprisingly, it was able to capture a little bit more of the nuances of the tonality of this amp than I thought it could.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Did a search and did not find an answer and the manual does not cover this. With the head, will a 2x12 cabinet at 16 ohms be an issue? The manual states no 4 ohm loads so I guess that is off limits. Thanks!

MHG

Did a search and did not find an answer and the manual does not cover this. With the head, will a 2x12 cabinet at 16 ohms be an issue? The manual states no 4 ohm loads so I guess that is off limits. Thanks!
It's safe using an 8 Ohm head into a 16 Ohm cab, but it will change the tone and feel of the amp a bit.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
I emailed Carr about this, I want to see what they say. Most amps have a minimum ohm rating you can go with. I am wondering if 16 ohms will cause any issues with the attenuator in it. I am waiting for the Fat Jimmy driver I ordered on your advice to get here. If I like that I guess I could order up two of those and make the 2x12 8 ohms, that is if I Like the driver. Only thing I would have to decide is 2 16 our 2 4 ohm speakers to get to 8 ohms combined.

MHG

I emailed Carr about this, I want to see what they say. Most amps have a minimum ohm rating you can go with. I am wondering if 16 ohms will cause any issues with the attenuator in it. I am waiting for the Fat Jimmy driver I ordered on your advice to get here. If I like that I guess I could order up two of those and make the 2x12 8 ohms, that is if I Like the driver. Only thing I would have to decide is 2 16 our 2 4 ohm speakers to get to 8 ohms combined.
I hope you like the speaker, but I do need to point out that that wasn't the speaker I recommended. I recommended the A1260 which is a pretty different speaker.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
I hope you like the speaker, but I do need to point out that that wasn't the speaker I recommended. I recommended the A1260 which is a pretty different speaker.
I think you recommended it in other threads is what I meant. You have posted positive, glowing reviews of the C model in several threads. Yes you specifically recommended the Alnico to me. But from reading your other threads, and due to cost and this being my first Fat Jimmy tryout I went with the more affordable model to start out.

This will be my first tryout of an American voiced speaker in years so I did not want to start out with a pretty costly option. I read you and a couple of others posts comparing this to the Jupiter and WGS models (all made by WGS) and liked the advice about level of brightness between the various models. If I like this I will probably try an A model, I realize it is different but similar in regards to American type voicing Vs. British.

I ordered a Carr Telstar head to try this with as well.

Last edited:

Silkrodamus

Telstar owners....anybody have any favorite overdrives to run through the amp yet?

I've had good success with the Nordland ODR-C, Karma MTN-10 and vintage Rat. Just for different flavors. I love the overdrive of the amp itself. These pedals all just 'season' it to taste.

MHG

I think you recommended it in other threads is what I meant. You have posted positive, glowing reviews of the C model in several threads. Yes you specifically recommended the Alnico to me. But from reading your other threads, and due to cost and this being my first Fat Jimmy tryout I went with the more affordable model to start out.

This will be my first tryout of an American voiced speaker in years so I did not want to start out with a pretty costly option. I read you and a couple of others posts comparing this to the Jupiter and WGS models (all made by WGS) and liked the advice about level of brightness between the various models. If I like this I will probably try an A model, I realize it is different but similar in regards to American type voicing Vs. British.

I ordered a Carr Telstar head to try this with as well.
Just because it's an American speaker doesn't mean it'll be a great match for every American circuit. My other threads/reviews of the C1270 are with Blackface amps. Tweed and Blackface amps often prefer different speakers. I absolutely love the C1270 with my Blackface oriented amps, and probably prefer it over the A1260 in that context, but it wasn't a great match for the 5E5 imo. The A1260 is definitely a much better match for that specific amp.

That said, your Mesa is likely a pretty different amp than mine though, so the C1270 is still of course worth a try. It's an amazing speaker. I hope it works for you, but your impressions of the C1270, and how it responds to your specific amp, shouldn't be applied to the A1260 and vice versa. So even if you find your not happy with the C1270, the A1260 still may be the speaker you're looking for.

itguy61

Gold Supporting Member
Understood. My brother just built a Mojotone Tweed Deluxe kit and I am familiar with it. The California Tweed is a different amp and has different feels and tones depending on the power settings what how it is running the power tubes. The mesa has more powerful and more adjustments from an EQ perspective than the Tweed type amps I have played. You can dial in a sound that is pretty close to blackface when running Pentode mode power settings. This amp is kind of unique and hard to peg to a particular tweed type amp, at least from what I know about as few different tweed amps. I am mainly interested in trying the C speaker out with the Telstar, which is definitely a unique type circuit.

I am having a time finding the driver I like for the Mesa. The H type Celestions and clones sound the closest to agreeable, but the Celestial branded ones are very ice picky in the top end. The H models have a big bottom end, scooped mids and very articulate (sometimes too bright) top end. I want to try American voiced speakers as the H seems to be voiced closer to the American type speakers compared to V30's and Greeback type speakers.

Just trying things out and appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: MHG

Trending Topics