Carr Viceroy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TaronKeim, Jun 24, 2008.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Hey fellas, I know a few of you on the board have the Viceroy (or Vincent). I'm looking for an amp with killer cleans and edge-of-break-up tones... which is what I've heard the Viceroy excels at.

However, I've heard Carrs are a little loose in the bottom and I can't have that. I need a very tight bottom that can handle a guitar with a large sonic footprint without sounding boomy. I play a 7-string, so I need the low-end to hold up through-out the gain range and at any volume.

Will the Viceroy do this? Has anybody tried it with 10 inch speakers for improved bass handling?

Thanks ahead!

_TJK*

2. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I'd say the Viceroy would'nt work for what your after. I find Carr amps tend to have a lot of low end and tight doesn't fit the description. Not flubby but not tight.

3. LVC

LVC Senior Member

I think you should seek out and play one. I am sure if you emailed Carr you'd probably be able to find one near you to try out.

Personally I love the amp.... and I think it is fairly balanced all around ...

I own several boutique amps(including the Vincent) --- and the (Vincent/Viceroy) is usually the first amp I grab for a small gig or rehearsal.

I sold mine --- (don't ask) --- and I ended buying another one. Great amp in a very small package.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

They are great amps,and they will stay tight without loosing that nice bottom,They are not boomy,never played a 7 string through mine,but I use a 54 low E string and it sounds very focused,The early Kingpin speakers where a little looser on the bottom,but they dont use those any more.

5. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Well I don't have Viceroy/Vincent, but my El Moto has Kingpins, and have never found it to be loose in the low end. Like others have said, if you can, you should definitely give Steve a call(and try to play one if possible).

6. snoggin

snoggin Member

Its a great little amp,, it has the smallest footprint of any combo I have owned and puts out a lot. I havent been playing mine an enormous amount lately though.. lemme know if you might want to make an off on mine. grreat amp but I have been using my/13's and budda more lately

7. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

Maybe the Vincent and the Mercury I had were the only made with a non tight low end.... A 7string through an open back Carr???:messedup:crazy
    Try before you buy.

8. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Try one. and make uo your own mind. A 7 string needs to get good LOW (40-50hz) bass response so I'd imagine a Viceroy head with a closed back cab would be the way to go.

I love Carr amps. I own a Slant 6V and a Rambler and have auditioned the Viceroy a bunch. The bass control voicing on Carr amps is pretty beefy so I suspect it is overused by a lot of folks. On both my amps at higher volume levels I have the bass set VERY low when using HB's or fat P-90's. It's tight and very well defined. Crank it up and everything turns dark & muddy.

9. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I`d imagine the first frequencies to break up "on the edge" would be the bottom ...Is this possible ,,, edge of breakup with a solid bottom ? Might take some test driving . I like the looks of the Juke 1210 up for sale here ... Should have the goods down low .

10. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Also remember -- you can get the Vincent/Viceroy as a head (tiny - it weighs nothing) ... and you can use with any cab you want. I played the head/cab combo at Black Creek and it sounded killer.

[​IMG]