Carr, Victoria or something else?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by parkerbro, Apr 22, 2008.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

In the past two years on the gear page, I've been through countless pedals and guitars on my tone search. It's also been very addictive and a lot of fun.

I really haven't ventured far into the land of different amps. I'm an at home player and have been happy with my Gries 5. But I'm getting the bug to try something different.

I play at home, at times quite loud when the families not home. I like a really nice clean sound in an amp and then get distortion with pedals.

I get the Fretboard Journal and read articles on Victoria and Carr amps. They both sound great and I'm intrigued by both. The Rambler looks especially tempting because it has reverb and tremolo and i use both.

So the question is, are these incredible amps and/or is there something else I should be considering? Thanks!

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Swart AST would be fun and might be right up your alley.

3. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I absolutely love my Ramber and can't imagine parting with it. That said, Victorias are awesome too. If you want something reminiscent of a Princeton and/or Deluxe Reverb with a slight twist, a Rambler is hard to beat.

4. dB

dB Member

I have a Rambler and a Super Reverb. The Fender, 6L6 sound is definitely my obsession. I sold my AST to buy the Rambler. The AST was amazing, but not quite clean enough for me...6L6's cleaned it up pretty nicely, but the magic with that amp is w/6V6's. I'd love to buy it again someday when I have more disposable income. The Rambler is excellent...I had it made as a head, so I am still experimenting to find the right speaker/cab combinations. I am putting together a 1x12/2x10 cab currently.

The main amps I considered were Rambler, Victorilux, Tone King Meteor, Allen Old Flame and Fargen Blackbird. Victoria wouldn't make a head for me, so I ruled it out. Allen I plan on buying the head kit in the next year (should be an educational project, as well as affordable). I would love to try a Tone King...those really intrigue me, and I've seen a few heads. The Fargen I never really gave too much serious thought for some reason, although I have always heard good reviews.

I think that those are the main contenders in that category. The reverb and trem in the Rambler are very nice, but not quite as special as the AST...I have yet to play another amp that feels like an AST. I suppose the SST might be worth considering...

5. parkerbro

anyone have thoughts on the goodsell 17? as special as the rambler or swart?

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

6l6 Victorilux is my suggestion, although harder to come by, as they generally come with EL84s. My Vicky sounds great clean or turned up. The Carr Rambler sounds nice clean but really ratty and gritty turned up. Not pleasant to these ears. Victoria is much more vintage sounding. Like a perfect Vibrolux Reverb from the mid '60s. PM me if you want more info or want to hear some clips.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i played a 33 the other day, and LOVED it. its on the brighter side of things, but like an 18 watt marshall meets tweed mixed w/ a vox. not a bit of fender whatsoever.

8. Peppy

Peppy Member

What type(s) of music do you play? What guitars do you mostly use? Answers to these questions can help narrow the search.

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Nate, I've heard pretty mixed things about the Rambler when it comes to low-end, most people tend to think it is big, bouncy and has a tendancy to fart out, even at low volumes.

With you using Jim's Swans, I think it might be a problem - due to the massive ass end they have; however, I'm not sure if that is an issue now that Steve has changed to new stock speakers.

I've played a couple of Victorias and absolutely love them but don't currently own one.

What type of sound qualities are you looking for?

_TJK*

10. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

It has been a while since had a Rambler, but I kind of the liked the break up it had. It did have to be dimed to get much overdrive out of it.
    Don't remember the bass being flatulent, but it has been a while .

11. parkerbro

hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback.

sounds like the rambler isn't what i'm looking for. probably not the goodsell either as i love the fender sound.

what i play - a little bit of everything but mostly blues with some jazz thrown in.

i mostly play strats and swans.

i'm looking for an amp that has a lot of headroom and a really warm tubey sound. i've always loved fender amps. sounds like a victoria might be the way to go. that said, any suggestions on a victoria?

also, has anyone here played a gries amp to give a comparison? i currently use a gries 5.

Lastly, I just saw that there is a Victoriette for sale in the emporium. This one has el84's and 2x10. would the el84's still give the clean fender sound? would the 10's be a little small/boxy sounding?

12. resonator48

resonator48 Member

I could have written the same thread a couple months ago. I love good solid clean tone to build on with pedals. I'm a play at home guy who likes to crank it up when no one is at home.

I talked to numerous people and tried a bunch of boutique amps including the Carr Rambler 112 and 115. I also tried a Victoria Regal II at home for a week. Absolutely great amp, but in the end, I wanted a mid control. After a long and exhausting search, I ended up with a Victoria, Victorilux 115. It's everything I wanted in an amp. It has the best reverb and tremolo I've ever heard. The 15" Eminence Legend is a perfect match, but Iv'e heard great things about the 310 version also. I wouldn't have believed a 15" speaker could sound this good. Perfect balance between Bass and treble. The sound clips on the Victoria website don't do it justice. I own a PRS McCarty BLE that always sounded very good. But I had no idea how good it could really sound until I bought the Victorilux. Just so you know the comparison I'm going by, I've had Mesa LSS and LSC, Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410, Fender Vibroking, Vox AC15 and 30.

There a Victoria amp forum that has very knowledgeable people that you should check out.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/victoria-amps/

You should also Call Mark Baier at Victoria amps. He's a great guy and can answer your questions.

Good Luck, Res

13. Point to Point

Point to Point Member

If your looking for classic Fender tone - look at Headstrong Amps out of North Carolina (like Carr - must be something in that red dirt). They are building tweed and black/brown face clones. I picked up a Little King Reverb (Princeton Reverb) - it's a wolf in sheep's clothing - classic Princeton chassis design, 12 screaming watts but into a "12 Weber (they will build it with the orig. spec "10 if you want though). You can run the gambit of Fender tone, all in hand wired PTP glory. They will also offer most all of the amps in 1X12, 2X10, 1X15 or Heads. Worth a look if your in the market for a new "old-timey-built Fender sounding" amp, without having to send it off to a tech to have old caps, ect., replaced.

14. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

Can't tell about Carr amps, I never had the opportunity to try one. I wish I could though...
    But if you're after a warm clean bluesy/jazzy sound, the Vic Regal II with its 15'' and great tremolo and reverb is a serious contender. Not typically Fender, has more of a 50's vibe. Sounds great with my Strat (Blonde Lollars help too !)

15. riffmeister

Huh?

Rambler IS a Fender sound. And is on the warm side. And with stout power tubes there is a fair amount of clean headroom.

16. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Why not a higher powered Gries?

17. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Carr Slant 6V, had a 6L6 3 x 10 Victorilux (V-lux) and still have a 2 x10 EL-84 Victoriette (V-ette) (also just got a Tone King Meteor)

If you're looking for deep, thick and warm and 3-D cleans, the 6L6 V-lux is REALLY tough to beat. Drop dead reverb and trem, too, and GREAT blues tone right at the edge of break up. Adequate headroom for a two 6L6 amp.

BUT

buzzy when you really open it up (most pedals will give you volume and dirt without as much buzz the amp alone).

My Carr and Tone King use 6V6 power tubes, and, as such, the cleans are a little "airier" or "whispier" than the DEEP cleans of the V-lux. But they are MUCH better distorted.

The EL-84 Victoriette is a LOT different than the 6L6 Vicky. Its definitely lighter and brighter (although not as bright as say, a Dr. Z). Great at the edge of breakup, but NOT the deep cleans of the V-lux.

18. motis1953

motis1953 Member

All are excellent amps but I would base my decision on the amount of "dirt" you want. The Rambler is great if you like big clean tones and a little dirt around the edges. The half power switch works surprisingly well if volume is an issue. The Victoriette is great (mine had EL-84's) with earlier breakup and a very nice overdriven tone. The Swart AST is fabulous if you like very early smooth 6V6 breakup but it lacks clean headroom and only has a tone control which limits your tone shaping options. All three amps have great reverb and tremolo with the Swart's trem being the most pronounced. Right now I favor a BIG clean tone and have sold all but the Rambler. Either of the other two amps used in conjunction with a Rambler is UNGODLY good tone. If I was a bedroom player and never played out I would probably say the Swart AST would be my choice. If you're used to the Gries 5 you'd probably really dig the Swart.

19. parkerbro

Any thoughts on the Victoria 20112?

20. riffmeister

You probably don't want a tweed Deluxe style amp like the Vicky 20112, then.