Carr Vincent - Ultimate Grab and Go Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by LVC, May 26, 2008.

1. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Have you ever gotten a sick feeling in your stomach after you sold a piece of gear... and as time goes on -- the feeling does not go away it only gets worse?

That most definitely happened to me when I sold my Vincent.

I went on a wild goose chase -- buying a couple of single channel amps (one combo, one in an expensive wood shell). None did it for me --- sold them all --- I missed my Vincent. So this weekend I purchased another one. A two-tone beauty (cream and coco).

Amp is IMHO is one of the best grab and go amps on the market today.

Even with a ridiculously small footprint (21 x 16.5 x 9) the amp is huge sounding and packs a powerful punch. With 7/33 watts at your disposal this thing can give you all the clean headroom you need or a very nice tube breakup.

Amp has a great reverb and takes pedals like Jenna Jameson takes ---- well you get the visual.

The variable drive is really a unique feature. --- I use it to set the sensitivity and natural breakup threshold of the amp.

Anyway -- if you ever get a chance to take a Vincent for a test drive --- remember to buckle up. I really love this amp --- and she is a keeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://carramps.com/viceroy.html

2. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

I really want one of these, you're feeding my gas!

How loud is it really?

Rocky519 likes this.
  3. ROKY

ROKY Member

I read a nice review on these in this month's TAPE-OP magazine .
    I'd love to try one, someday .

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I played mine at a Jam yesterday,and just put my Zendrive and LP and it was wonderful tone for sure,and at seven watts I hardly ever use the 33 watts,this amp for sure is a classic for the tone and portablity!!:drool

5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Very loud ---- it is deceptively loud. I have done a number of gigs in small clubs (75 - 100 people) without the amp being miked -- and it had more than enough headroom. I usually play it in the 7 watt setting --- believe me it is loud even at 7 watts -- but very 3D.

It is truly a remarkable little amp.

6. LVC

LVC Senior Member

You are correct --- I hardly ever take this amp out of 7 watts --- it also loves the ZenDrive.

Man did I miss this amp ---- jeeez what the hell was I thinking when I sold the first Vincent I had.

7. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Excellent amp. A toss up for me between the Vincent and the Slant 6V.

I like the boost pedal -- even though it's a big jump.

Juicey amp. Heard it's not for bedrooms, but enjoyed the tone at lower volumes.

I let an amp go and got that same feeling. Was able to get it back.

Enjoy.

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I got to play one4 for a few minutes - very nice.

How does it compare overall to the Rambler?I had a Rambler for a bit, it was real sweet.

9. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Sort of a Rambler on steroids. Rambler is a very polite southern lady compared to the rabble rousing Vincent. Vincent can play nice but it is definitely louder and has a nasty dark side that you can coax out of it.

it is also a bit smaller than the Rambler.

10. 7StringJazz

7StringJazz Member

Big Carr fan! Love them for archtop jazz, and jazz fusion/blues. They take pedals the best of any amp I have had. I have not played the Vincent, now new named I think?, but figured it was a Rambler on steroids and that a Rambler with pedals would do those tones anyway and the power differences would be negligible. I would like to find a 4x10 Imperial though!

My current menagerie:
    Rambler 2x10 (Kingpin 60s) - extraordinary archtop combo [​IMG]
    Mercury (Celestion century) - one of the best bedroom combos [​IMG]
    Slant 6v head with matching 2x12 closed back (Crex+celestion century) un- appologetic blackface deluxe reverb tone with kick![​IMG]

11. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Yeah looks like some trademark issues with the Vincent name --- interesting.

You know what is going to happen --- the Carr Vincent/Viceroy will go down the same path as a Klon.

The Carr amps with the Original "Vincent" name plates will be worth more than the Carr amps with the "Viceroy" name plate --- sort of like a Klon with the Horsey vs a Klon without the Horsey.

It never ends:crazyguy

12. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    About what is the weight of the Vincent? Thanks.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

I agree. This is a big sounding amp in a small package. I am a long time Rambler owner/fan, and now have a 2x12 Imperial (think double Rambler).

The only thing I did not like about the Viceroy (new name) is the speed and immediacy of the response to my pick attack. Made it feel hard, which is in stark contrast to that spongy give and vintage vibe that the Rambler and Imperial have in spades. This is clearly all subjective, but it bums me out, as I really wanted to love the Viceroy.

14. LVC

LVC Senior Member

around 40 pounds --- with a really small footprint

21 x 16.5 x 9

Amazing the tone and volume that comes out of such a small package.

15. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    That is tempting indeed. So many of the boutique 1x12s are pushing 50, which is too much for me.

16. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I love my Victoria Regal II, but the smaller package of the Vincent/Viceroy is very tempting. I love the Carr sound and build quality as well.

17. LVC

LVC Senior Member

The Vincent/Viceroy is a bit punchier then the Rambler --- but I like that .... especially for funk and R&B tunes.

I owned the Rambler and sold it when I played the Vincent -- so it really is subjective --- both are best of breed when it comes to grab and go amps as far as I am concerned.

18. Peppy

Peppy Member

The Viceroy/Vincent 1 X 12" combo weighs 45 pounds according to Carr's website.

19. Gear Addict

Gear Addict Member

I'm selling my Lonestar and looking hard at the Vincent/Viceroy.

I'm looking for a stellar base clean tone and like to take the amp to the edge of break-up tone for the blues. If I need more than that at home, I don't mind using a pedal like the OCD.

My question is this...I play in my studio and am by no means trying to keep it quiet when I do so, but is the vincent so loud that it is unusable in a small studio space (12x12 room)?

For reference, I generally played my SFDR up around 5-6 on the dial and my THD Flexi 50 at around 12:00 on the volume, through a THD 2x12 cab. I would consider those settings the max volume I could play comfortably.