Carr Vincent & Viceroy users....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tallhorses, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I just picked up a new Carr Viceroy (formerly Vincent) on Friday and so far I'm loving this amp. It's really compact with plenty of nice tones at low and high volume. This amp is surprisingly loud! The 7 watt setting is very cool for earlier breakup. The 33 watt setting should compete with any drummer. The tone is fat without getting mushy on the bottom end. Lots of spank on the top end. Great cleans... overdrive sounds sweet with my Keeley BD2 and FB2. When cranked The break up is nice and round and typical of 6l6's. (side note: I'm a huge box of rocks fan but I'm not so psyched about the way the BoR sounds with this amp). The Keeley BD2 is really perfect for that tweed crunch and my teles.

I like the Winged "C"'s that came stock and I actually like the way the EH 12AX7 and AT7's tubes sound stock. I'm gonna go with a Mullard CV4024 or early RCA 12AT7 for the reverb. Should help the drive control reverb and drive both share V2 (12AT7). Maybe try a NOS RCA 7025, Mullard or Tesla in V1. Waiting for rehearsal tomorrow night to put the boost through the paces.

As a double bonus the Studio Slips cover I bought for my Victoria 20112 fits perfectly. That will give you an idea of how compact this amp is.

Bottom line is Steve Carr makes a nice amp. I used to own the Slant V6, and gigged with it all last year. That's another versitile gigging amp for any working musician.

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

nice! ive been wanting one of these in a big way, but my rambler and mercury will have to hold down the CARR camp for now.

...not that thats a problem or anything!

3. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations, and color me jealous! Sounds like the perfect amp.

4. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I'd love to try one of those amps. I've had a Mercury for a couple of years now and it's a great little amp that really suits my needs. I had a problem recently with the Mercury that was my fault. I talked with Carr's tech Tim who is a very friendly and helpful guy. I returned the amp and just got it back last week. Being without the Mercury for 4 weeks really made me realize just how good it sounds. Carr is simply a great company and I'm very pleased with their product, service and attitude toward their customers. I hope you enjoy that Vicreroy!

5. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Anybody else out there using the Viceroy or Vincent?

6. mikeymoblues

mikeymoblues Member

Yep im using the 2x12 Vincent. I love it. Prior to it i was using a 2x12 Fender DeVille. Needless to say theres a huge difference.

The amp sounds great by itself or if you use a boost pedal just to kick it in the ass. I love the crystal clean rhythm sounds and just digging into the strings really makes it sing.

I love it.

7. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I have been comparing the Viceroy to the Rambler for some time now. At some point, I am going to have to make a decission.

8. GuitarDen

GuitarDen Member

Ditto the Merc/Rambler duo sentiments! But there is something about the Viceroy that keeps calling my tone bone. The Raleigh is a great home amp too. It could be miked for gig situations.

9. kurt1981

kurt1981 Supporting Member

How does the rambler compare to the viceroy in terms of headroom while staying clean? I had a rambler for years but it broke up just a tad early for what I was doing, 8 piece horn band, and sometimes I couldn't mike it. Does the viceroy have more headroom or can it get louder before it breaks up?

10. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I've had my Vincent about three years now - bought used from the emporium. The best grab and go combo, ever. I used to use a SFDR, but this one just excells in every department - and its built like a tank. I have a Mullard in the reverb driver, all the other tubes in the preamp are standard issue. Power tubes are NOS Tung Sol 5881's. I think this made a big difference in the tone, and was well worth the extra cost.

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

They are not my favorites I like the Slant 6V more, I owned both the Viceroy seemed to stiff and too midrangy all the time. Wish you luck though maybe it's perfect for you if that's all that counts.

12. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Wow..the Viceroy I played was looser, saggy and deep...it sounded/felt very scooped. The overdrive was also quite nice (more midrangy), and the amp bloomed with harmonics and overtones in a very musical feedback-y sort of way.

This will be my next (new, expensive, boutique) amp purchase...