carr vincent video clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by katuna, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katuna

katuna Silver Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oX1_HG5dI

I recorded this a couple of weeks ago simply to remember the chord progression that I was working on. I listened to it today and realized that it isn't a bad portrayal of the amp's tone. It's a fender nocaster thinline plugged straight in. 2/3's or so the way through I walked over to the boost footswitch and turned it on; played a few halfassed licks and then turned it off again; I think it shows pretty well how transparent the boost function is. Sorry for the pauses and miscues; as I said I was mainly trying to work through an idea for a song, not trying to showcase good playing or anything.

2. Kelly

Kelly Member

Now that's chimey!

3. katuna

What the heck; one bump for the non-weekend viewers...

4. DavidH

DavidH Member

Sounds good to me.How do you like the Vincent so far?

5. katuna

I like it quite a bit, but I fear that I should have gotten a 2x12. It seems plenty loud on it's own, but I've practiced with it once with the band and it almost didn't seem like it was cutting it. Now I'm sort of stuck between the Vincent and a Carr Imperial that, even in Triode mode, I have to keep at volumes lower than I'd like. I have another practice tonight so we'll see. Uhh, this sounds irresponsible but I was kinda drunk at our last practice.

I do like the tone and features of the Vincent quite a lot. The 7 watt mode is nice for when you don't want to be too loud. The drive and boost features are great and very transparent (Steve Carr is king of that stuff - the boost on the Imperial is great as well).

Folks who say that the Vincent is a lot stiffer than the Rambler are totally on the money; it is. But I prefer that stiffness to the Rambler I briefly owned, even if it means the amp isn't as sweet and pretty sounding (which it is not - the Rambler beats it in that respect).

6. DavidH

DavidH Member

I liked the response of it in the clip there.It stands up great when you're really leaning into it.Is it quite dark overall would you say? and have you tried it with p90s or humbuckers? I love my CJ11 with single coils(jazzmaster),and it's loud enough for my needs,but it's much harder to dial in it with humbuckers.Maybe just too much in the lower mids.I'm looking for something that's still tweed(ish) in character and breakup but suits my mahogany guitars better.Somewhere between tweed and blackface is probably where i'm looking at.I've been thinking about the Swart SST but it sounds like it's maybe thicker than i want with humbuckers.I might have to check out the vincent when the head becomes available.

7. katuna

Ha! I have a CJ11 also. The CJ11 is way way darker than the Vincent. Way, way darker. The Vincent has a much more full frequency eq ability. And, as you noted, the Vincent stands up very much more to getting leaned on than the CJ11 does. But the CJ11 is very cool in it's own way, it gets much creamier than the Vincent does.

As for humbuckers, I don't use em (except for filtertrons, which I don't really think count anyway), so I have no experience there. Honestly; I can't dial in humbuckers with anything.

P-90's sound good through the Vincent, but I only tried it once, so I only really recall that I liked them ok and not much else about it. I really am a tele guy right now, so that's what I keep playing. For what it's worth, I think P-90's really sound great through the CJ11.

8. DavidH

DavidH Member

Thanks man,that's helpful.I'm gonna take a trip when i get the chance,and check out a bunch of Carrs and Victorias and D13s in person,it's probably less effort in the long run.Vincent is now on my shortlist.

The CJ does actually sound great with all my guitars,but in really shines with a Fender,it's total magic with my Jazzmaster.I've always played fenders,i'm more of a percussive player,only recently got into mahogany axes,which i dig but still searching for the type of amp i really want to use with them.

9. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Thanks for the post-I've been wanting to see some user demos of the vincent; i have a Rambler and have 'pondered' a picking up a Vincent.

10. katuna

I think I am a bit percussive as well, and I imagine that has led me into the axe choices I've made. Even when I play softly, it's kind of thumping. Good luck!